What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

2016 Down by the Bay

sho

Veteran
End framing in, working with a box blade to get the grade right inside the buildings... wish I had a bulldozer
GZuZXLr.jpg

Annddd it rained
pvoa7Bt.jpg

FoothillFarming

Rain is such a hassle in my greenhouses. Next time I will put a raised concrete floor with radiant heating in.

Greenhouses look great. They going to be ready this season?

sho

Veteran
Oh yeah weather is better. Three solid days, they're 4" below finished grade right now so all the water is going for them. Tuesday I'll have gravel brought in

B

BAKED_BEANZ

looking good man , loving the dedication here . lots of work .

i just put gravel floor in mine , kinda wish i went concrete . maybe next year .

sho

Veteran
So we got our framing done and drained a fuckton of water... It's going to rain again tonight so get to start the process all over on Monday
rRmaPTP.jpg

End wall tin on and man door in
fdsd0Wp.jpg

Our water tank arrived!
Hw4bcVE.jpg

We covered one building...
NR7jtp3.jpg

Got a mountain of fine crush gravel to spread and then lotta pots to empty and dirt to mix!
SYHBKfH.jpg

Getting CLOSE to getting some girls outside! Tomorrow makes a month since I've got the kits and we've been a two-man crew the whole time... I wish I still drank cuz a beer woulda tasted good today!

ubi

two man crew!!!!!!!!!
ewwww weeee workie workie humpy humpy (definetly deserve a brew, i'll have one for ya ;)

Very happy for you, also, those greenhouses are YUGE!!!

jbarsk8

Thank you sir, just got new farmtek, as you stated they are not in there. Contemplating between the series 500, series 1000, or series 2000. Looks like only difference really between 1000 and 2000 is the rounded style on 1000 or the peaked roof like a gothic style on 2000.

Impressive undertaking. How many plants do you think you'll run in each of those ? Straight sunlight or are you going to add some lights for extended light periods ?

sho

Veteran
Next one I do will be retrofitting a blackout in one of mine, then a S2000 for commercial production when (and if) rec goes big time in Michigan... fucking million dollar building though.

FarmTek does all sorts of crap NOT in their catalogs though, get on the phone with a sales rep they love taking your money. Their finance department has been easy to work with and no credit reporting but they do pull Experian.

If my advice is worth anything, go with a S500 for now cuz the blackout kits are designed for S500's. They're not doing any retrofitting kits yet unless you're spending $xxx,xxx, word straight from their Iowa engineers. No sense in building anything that's not expandable or upgradeable.

Fucking rain slowing me down... gonna go play in the mud in a little bit. Try to get the remesh pulled out and buildings graded and hopefully the dozer can stop by this afternoon, set grade with transit and get my fabric down. Tomorrow's more rain so maybe I can spread the gravel.

Off to work though!

jbarsk8

Are you setting grade after your green houses are built meaning vertical head room may fluctuate a little bit depending on how off the grade is? Reason im asking is because i was thinking about this myself. Thank you for the tips and advice. The s500 is the cheapest as well so i like that. Looks like in my state they will be issuing gh licenses for 22k sqft greenhouse space and outdoor licenses for 1 acre of canopy or 40k sq ft. Trying to be ahead of everything so planning now... Obviously the outdoor license is almost double the canopy but i can pull at least 3 crops a year in gh, possibly 4 with heat and supp lighting.

sho

Veteran
We were within like 3", the problem was the old buildings were just a wee bit higher... so I got a box blade and trying to remove about 3" of material to spread in the new part to gain 2-3", then landscape fabric, then a fine crush stone. It'll pack in as hard as concrete for about 1/4 the price. The bulldozer guy now has a blade mounted transit though, so he's accurate within an half inch compared to my ass level on the tractor that's good to about 3" ... and when gravel is $15 a yard delivered I only want to spread 3-4".

22k sq ft is plenty of work for one dude, depends how big you want to get I guess. I'd go for GH space vs. single outdoor crop, more consistent paycheck

JVonChron

saw a GH very similar to one of yours in size/shape sho, it had a pretty slick semi-auto light dep system in it. pretty much shower curtain type lay out suspended on aircraft cables. didn't get a price on it but it was dirt cheap relative to the autos setups they sell. im a cheapskate and couldn't bear to shell out for on of those autodeppers, but sure would be nice to not even have to be there and it do its thing.......

sho

Veteran
Dozers are fun
LwUn4cV.jpg

You can see how hard this stuff packs in my 8000lb tractor ain't sinking in! And you can see the tires on how much I HAVE sunk in everywhere else in the fuckin' mud. At least the rest of this week looks dry, we'll have this other building ready to go hopefully tomorrow!
fosEQcc.jpg

GainGreene

Top Notch thread here. :tiphat: If you build it they will come. I can already see these greenhouses filled with trees and me in a hammock swinging bumping some reggae. Enjoying watching you progress thru this process and your passion can be felt. One time for you SHO fo-sho!

Phases

Killer thread - I ll be following along if ya don't mind - I am planning on building a couple green houses in the future, well depending on what happens with Canada's medical grow regulations. Things are good to be changing soon here and I hope they are going to make it so that medical patients can grow their own. Right now if you weren't under the old system you can't grow until they make the new rules, which should be soon and can't move locations. So I am stuck for now.

But I am loving your project - look forward to seeing them filled up with giant trees!