What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

2016 Down by the Bay

sho

Veteran
Here goes 2016! And no, we're not down by the San Fran bay... we're just off of a Bay on Lake Michigan in 'da woods, eh?

Figured since dirt started showing up, my new thread should too. Most my amendments are here, containers on order, two more greenhouses, a pole barn, and almost 1/3rd mile of 8' deer/orchard fence.

Excavator was hired for removing about 500-1000 yards of dirt in our way and the bulldozer will grade it all off nice and pretty like, we dropped a tree that'll cast a shadow till noon (I was sad to cut it up).
XkJfBJt.jpg

Klasman Peat showed up for $18/bale, can't get promix for that and it's a high quality peat! The rest of the amendments are there in a pile too. Turns out, the new green needs some rear weight to handle 2600lb loader lifts
HLtrADV.jpg

My amendment list this year includes...(250 gallon pots with 100 gallons of last year's Roots Organic mix for bottom of my holes fill)

So 150 gallons of "new" dirt this year per hole. I picked 250's cause at 55" diameter one sheet of remesh should wrap right around it perfectly.

13 pallets of peat (25/pallet, 4cu ft bags)
120 50lb bags of worm castings
16 7cu ft bundles of rice hulls

Feather Meal
Bone Meal (LOTS!)
Blood Meal
AlfAlfa Meal
Crab Shell Meal
Oyster Shells
Humic
BioChar
Composted Manure
Harmony (chicken shit fertilizer)
Greensand
Bat guano
Gypsum
Lime
Azomite
Potassium KmS soluble
Kelp
Brown phosphate
Boron

Strains include:

(Reg Seeds)
Swamp Boys First 48

DNA Strawberry Fields
DNA Clementine

Barney's Farm Blue Cheese
Barney's Farm Cookies Kush

Bodhi Jabba's Stash
Bodhi Love Triangle

(Fems)
Dinafem Blue Widow
Dinafem Critical + 2.0
Dinafem Critical Impact
Dinafem Bubba Kush

Elemental Honey Bananas
Elemental Berry Bomb

EVA Seeds Jamaican Dream

HSO Blue Dream
HSO Blueberry Headband
HSO Amherst Sour Diesel
HSO Desert Diesel
HSO Saphire OG

Reserve Privada Skywalker Kush

We'll be an organic grow: using tea's, bokashi, top dressings, etc. We're also getting a well this year! No more hauling water for me!

On top of all this, we're adding 24 fruit trees, 100 fruit bushes, and we got a plastic mulch layer to keep the garden free of weeds!

I'm a one-man sho, this year I'll have a few hired guys for construction but the grow is all me.

So, STAY TUNED! Lots to come!

Last edited:

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
looks good ..having that post hole digger kicks ass too huh...I had one on my bobcat once ..made putting in the greenhouses a lot easier....yeehaw

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
So this is a legal grow in Michigan?

Nice looking setup! You will def be busy, best of luck to you on your season!

jbarsk8

Nice job sho, so 4 greenhouses this season? How do you like the deere? How much did you scoop that thing up for? If you throw that mulches or box scraper on the back should add some nice rear weight

sho

Veteran
FarmTek told me to just pound the posts in my clay!

It'll be two houses but it took 4 "kits" to get to my desired length/two sep. blogs. So ultimately two 168'x35 hoops. Next year we'll add interior truss support and ridge vents, fans, and probably concrete. Following year well replace plastic with double wall poly ($30k investment!!!) and eventually black 'em out.

So far, love it! Way better than breaking a pallet of 16-25 bales or 50 50lb bags to haul em by hand and move them 3-4 times! Brush stacking garbage picking never been easier.

Got more land cleared and hauled out, ran the dozer for the excavator today for a few minutes. He's disappearing my old rock pile and pole building starts tomorrow. Gonna shuffle a few more loads of dirt (picking my kid up right now) but I'm about done for the day.

The mower has served as plenty of ballast today, it's about 700#

Oh and yes, legal 72 plant grow in Michigan well posted and this year will have a PTSD/anxiety warning signs for two of my patients who would be overly sensitive to any sort of "presence"

B

BAKED_BEANZ

nothing like a pallet lifter :) . i,m liking this thread already

self

Can't wait to see bodhis love triangle go big. Wanted to pop those this year but too many beans too little time! Subbed and inspired.

B

BAKED_BEANZ

this project has come along way in a short time , last year 1 gh , i like the dedication i,m seeing here . its very refreshing .

good lead to follow here , is the block next door for sale ;)

sho

Veteran
So after yesterdays 12 hrs, I spent 4 hrs doing this...
7KSoJH3.jpg

Then up at 8AM to do this...
lEY85Wo.jpg

And at 9PM it looked like this...
G8IpwTp.jpg

Dudman hauled like 400 yards of dirt... 30 or so dump loads today, we dug it all out of the area next to the houses. Turns out it's all sand. Like, all of it. 4-9 feet is straight sand as far as we dug and probably 500 feet the other way too. (Score!)

Off to bed, 8AM again tomorrow and setting as many poles as humanly possible.

PS: Bonus! Got the call my custom smart pots are on the way. Final size is gonna be 55x24 for a total of 250 gallons per hole. Perfect for a sheet of remesh. We'll see some big ladies this year :cool:

sho

Veteran
Poles are in but not set. We had
UN6WYgq.jpg

SMART POTS ARE IN! Did not expect to see 5 big ass boxes on my driveway when I got home. props to Smart Pot for getting this custom order done and out in less than a week!
jjtPT4G.jpg

Also, we got our order from Stark Bros for bushes, berries, grapes, and a bunch more... We're taking a day off from pole bldg. to get our trees planted today and as much as we can around the gardens done.

Latest posts

Latest posts