What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

20' X 36' X 12' solar powered farmtek, 10 X 200 gallon organic soil

corky1968

Veteran
If I had a greenhouse it would be filled with pure sativas like Kerala, Highland Thai or Haze.
Seeing a greenhouse full of monster plants hitting the ceiling would be wild.

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
a greenhouse in maine is the way to go for sure...yeehaw..I financed my greenhouses from farmtek too paid em off in a year...I miss them, but not the cold weather in the northeast

Clayton_Bigsby

Wow, im glad i found this! I will definitely follow this grow as I'm also trying to learn as much as possible on solar powered greenhouses before i start my grow. I have a lot of questions if you don't mind.

How much are the solar panels and how much energy are you using off them?

Is this going to be a year around grow to where you install lights in the greenhouse to keep the days longer?

Im looking into buying a property off the grid and setting up a year around green house with solar panels powering the lights after the sun goes down to extend the days for year around grows. The solar panels would also power all of the fans and heating system. Any ideas of how much this would costs or a good place to get started? i can't seem to find much information on a grow like this.

I don't mean to hijack your thread, I'm just looking for info. you can PM me if you want. Thanks

tech1234

love this thread!

I am near you and ran a GH last season. I learned some lessons that you would prob benefit from. Pm me if your interested

E

el boyo

this looks rad.. best of luck this season.. can't wait to see how things work out..

self

It's here! I'm still opening boxes, probably won't have much to show until this weekend.
Did I mention I bought a thousand pounds of organic amendments and rice hulls from fedco?

I'll take a picture of my mountain of grow stuff at some point. It will include
10 bales promix bx
8 bales organic rice hulls ( replaces perlite)
150 lbs organic alfalfa meal
100 lbs organic soybean meal
100 lbs brixblend basalt
50 lbs fish meal
50 lbs crab shell meal
50 lbs kelp meal
50 lbs humate
50 lbs oyster shell flour
50 lbs green sand
50 lbs dolomite limestone
50 lbs inoculated biochar

Pond liner to make giant runoff trays
10 X 200 gallon root pouches

All kinds of other goodies. ��

self

Wow, im glad i found this! I will definitely follow this grow as I'm also trying to learn as much as possible on solar powered greenhouses before i start my grow. I have a lot of questions if you don't mind.

How much are the solar panels and how much energy are you using off them?

Is this going to be a year around grow to where you install lights in the greenhouse to keep the days longer?

Im looking into buying a property off the grid and setting up a year around green house with solar panels powering the lights after the sun goes down to extend the days for year around grows. The solar panels would also power all of the fans and heating system. Any ideas of how much this would costs or a good place to get started? i can't seem to find much information on a grow like this.

I don't mean to hijack your thread, I'm just looking for info. you can PM me if you want. Thanks

No worries Clayton, that's what it's all about!
I'm still pricing the solar powered greenhouse fans and system. My budget for solar this year is about 1000-1500 for the DC fans and shutters and wiring, and another 1000 for solar panels and controller and more wiring.
I want to get snap fan DC greenhouse fans. They can run directly off the solar panels when the sun is shining without a need for batteries or inverters. But the 20" is like 400$, and I need atleast 2. So it's pricey at the start, about double what you could get cheap AC greenhouse fans of the same size for. I can find good price oscillating DC fans, or more expensive but super efficient DC ceiling fan style fans.
I want to go this route for philosophical reasons as much as economical and practical reasons, but I'm trying to balance it all without breaking my budget.
I can get DC pumps pretty cheap, so that's not too much of a problem, they will need to run off batteries charged by the panels through the solar controller.
For 1000$ I can get a 400w 4 panel system with everything I need to plug and play except batteries. That's about as much as I'm comfortable dealing with on my own, if I went bigger, I would install multiple systems (potentially awkward), or hire a reputable solar installer to come give you a quote and maybe an install.
Unfortunately, lighting is pretty power hungry, so I don't really think I can run anything but maybe some LEDs to control photoperiod.
I would like to get a propane heater that does not need electricity to run for the winter, but we will see how things go.
Look up sunshineworks they have been my main source of info, and I like renogy for their panels and systems.
I'll keep this thread updated as I outfit the greenhouse. :thank you:

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
I used big solar fans designed for your attic..think I paid 350 each back then....look into a windmill setup too small marine type ones come in handy and have built in voltage regulators usually ...400watt ones kick ass... I had 2 once...yeehaw...being in maine I would be using wood for heat ...even in mass I pulled it off...

self

I've got it about half up, going to work on the end panels today. Digging 20 footing holes in compacted rocky soil is no Bueno! That took me a day plus. The girls in the veg room are ready to rip though, I want to get this thing up ASAP!

yocs

Lookn good man. I feel your pain on them holes. I had to put a fence up a few weeks ago... After the third hole I said screw this and went to home depot and rented and auger.

self

picture.php

its turning out wicked nice...
Roof goes on tomorrow, but I had to see what my layout might look like.
picture.php

Last edited:

self

Im pretty stoked!
I picked up another 50#s of brix blend basalt, granite flour, oyster shell meal, azomite, and 25# of seabird guano.
Ive been composting a years worth of deep litter chicken bedding and manure for the past month, its starting to look really nice. I'll probably end up with about a yard of super chicken compost from that, and I'll add some local commercial organic certified compost.
The soil test I have on the commercial compost shows high P, everything else looks good except it shows pretty high dissolved salt levels...anyone have any experience with soluble salts as high as 5.07 mhos/cm? should I be concerned?
The compost makes up 1/3 of the basic soil mix, with the other parts rice hulls and promix bx.
I'll talk about amendments when I mix up my soil...