What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

4th grow in Promix - I still suck - Help

Rolljuanup

Man i was always told to ph promix 5.8 to 6.3. So it should be 6.5 to 6.8? Also i go from a 2 gal smartpot to a 25 gal and feeding to runoff seems like id be overwatering my girls. I typically dont do runoff til i get to the last few weeks of veg, is that bad? Im on my second run and my first run i had ppm coming out at 4000 (.5 scale) the first time i did runoff. I started feeding to runoff and the ppms came down but i didnt check the ph consistanly but remember one time it being in the 5's and my girls yellowed out early (start of week 5) wondering now if it was a mag issue like in this post. Im currently on day 63 and seeing no amber and have been flushing for a week. Just want this run to be done.

Chimera, do you suggest the 15-20% run-off even if you are using a organic nutrient like Earth Juice? What about when watering with earth worm casting teas? still the same amount of run-off? I am asking because I am growing in promix and although I haven't seen this guys type of problems I am still experiencing low PH and some lock out issues. From my understanding EJ or organic notes for that matter do not cause salt build up. The information you have provided already has been invaluable, thank you.

srich250

Drowning roots lack of oxygen and co2

Drowning roots lack of oxygen and co2

Hey Chimera,

I've been flushing one of the ladies for about an hour now. Maybe put roughly 24 liters through a 2.5 liter container. Flushing at 8.4- 8.5 and the runoff hasn't really moved. Runoff started at 6.5 and now it's between 6.6 and 6.7. Am I going to be damaging my plants if I go much longer?

***update
Alright, about 2 hours later I finally got a runoff of 7.0.

Now on to part II lol. I'll post back in a bit after hopefully having some success with this next part.

I'm completely dreading that I'll have to do this twice more for the two other plants. So time consuming...

You have way too many things going on. You really need to get a good book or two and study horticulture and botany so you can understand the small mistakes you are making even though you are trying very hard which is badass !!! Here are 1000's of variables to ruin a healthy root system.

You can NEVER drown soil or soiled mix roots for more than 15min. Try holding your breath for 2hrs like you tried doing to your roots. :)

Quick thoughts :

- never water until your pot is light in weight but never wilting the plant.
- then water with ph 6.2-6.5 until 15-20% runoff.
- never is a pot that stays wet for more than 24-48hrs unless a cloth pot
- always flush with your goal ppm. You can run 20gal through a 1gal pot as long as it is 100% done draining in 15min.
- make sure you have proper co2 in your little box. Otherwise it's like holding Saran Wrap over your mouth for two days with a few pinholes in it.
- if you are below 400 ppm of co2, then your plants will do non genetic growth signs

Never use well water

PdxFarms

You have way too many things going on. You really need to get a good book or two and study horticulture and botany so you can understand the small mistakes you are making even though you are trying very hard which is badass !!! Here are 1000's of variables to ruin a healthy root system.

You can NEVER drown soil or soiled mix roots for more than 15min. Try holding your breath for 2hrs like you tried doing to your roots. :)

Quick thoughts :

- never water until your pot is light in weight but never wilting the plant.
- then water with ph 6.2-6.5 until 15-20% runoff.
- never is a pot that stays wet for more than 24-48hrs unless a cloth pot
- always flush with your goal ppm. You can run 20gal through a 1gal pot as long as it is 100% done draining in 15min.
- make sure you have proper co2 in your little box. Otherwise it's like holding Saran Wrap over your mouth for two days with a few pinholes in it.
- if you are below 400 ppm of co2, then your plants will do non genetic growth signs

Never use well water

Wow... According to these statements I should never have seen a successful garden.
I know there are some generalized standards to stick to with gardening but I can tell you this, it does not pertain to everyone.
I've been using pro mix hp for many years...no additives, no amendments and no additional perlite.
I "used" to water with runoff way back because that's what I was taught but for almost 2 years have not. Not a single drop. All through veg and flower. From solo cup to 10 gallon tall. 12 weeks veg trees that finish near 6- 7' tall. And using advanced nutrients ph perfect sensi and almost the full lineup through flower. Anywhere from 400-1600ppm depending on plant size. And no, I do not ph when feeding, only when using straight water. Nothing but water last 2 weeks and flawless finish.
I have not had a single ph issue, lockout, deficiency, toxicity or any other growth related issues at my garden. I do know other people who do though but was not directly related to these methods.
I do alternate feed/water/feed/water etc.. but with ZERO runoff. I have phenomenal top shelf results and above average yields. And....wait for it.....
Using well water that's bounces between 80, 120ppm. No filters or softeners other than the filter at the well. I don't use air stones, nothing. Just fill my res up from the tap, add my nutrients and feed with no runoff. I have very minimum salt build up on my pots or soil and have healthy roots blowing out the bottoms of the pots. Using 1-3-10g grip lip nursery pots.

I can't say this will work for everyone....it does go against almost everything taught here. But it's working for me just right for some time now.

Runoff like that in a room full of trees creates a lot more work, humidity swings and invites pests if not cleaned up (vacuumed or drain) immediately and means hours more time in the rooms. When you have a large plant count, what a mess... And it also means coming back 15, 20 minutes later to clean up residual runoff. Maybe I'm just lucky going against the grain but that has to mean something about what is taught. You can't just say "you must feed/water until 15 percent runoff or you'll have problems"

Jonnysact

Hey, hope everyone is doing well.

It's been a while since I've posted. I just wanted to let you guys know how things are going.

Good news is that things are great! I've really dialed things in now and my plants have never been happier.

This is what I've found works for me:

2 parts Promix BX
1 part Perlite
1 part Worm Castings
gh Floranova Bloom

Once the roots have filled the pots, I now feed with EVERY watering between 1.2-1.8 EC which brings my water to a ph between 6.2 - 6.3 with a runoff between 6.3-6.5. I try to maintain a runoff of 1.8-2.2 EC. With that, my plants have been VERY happy. Getting the same quality of results as I did the one and only time I ran coco. I've been measuring PH just out of curiosity, cause since I've changed my feed cycle the numbers just work. They take exactly 3 days to dry until they are ready for their next watering.

Thank you all again, and Chimera for the invaluable info. I now know, without any shadow of any doubt, where these plants like to be in peat.

some photos of plants I've grown over the last little while.

I'm currently running a Critical Widow and a Trainwreck. They are on day 12 of 12/12.

i9nbH2k.jpg

Trainwreck leaves nice and healthy

kuleokL.jpg

A critical widow nug next to a C99 nug. My night time and daytime ladies!

8z5YTPa.jpg

Critical Widow when she was a young lass

OnnjuWJ.jpg

Up close and personal with C99

Hjk60ho.jpg

Latest posts

Latest posts