What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Greenhouse shopping in Grass Valley - Forever Flowering vs Conleys vs Alternatives

Z

z-ro

You can easily cover a carport and turn it to a real greenhouse, all you need is wood running boards along the bottom, you can use 2x12 instead of cement footings and its heavy enough to hold it in place. Then just slap a piece of poly weave on, secure it to the wood framed footing via one foot pieces of 1x4 all the way around and you're in biz. Build end walls out of 1or2x4 to mount fans and intakes and call it a season. If you need more anchoring support, you can use the tie downs the carports come with or pound in some grade stakes and secure them to your baseboard/footing.

Joe's Garage

Hey all... anyone doing large greenhouses and or processing facilities pulling commercial power on property zoned ag/residential? Applied for 200 amp Ag service for shop and was told by PG&E that I want commercial not Ag service. Didn't seem to be a problem for them, just curious if others are experiencing the same. Thanks in advance for the input

ApolloAK

nice march 21 is a good early flip date. I'm aiming to have my 60 footer flipped by early-mid april, already got a bunch of nice 2-3 foot starts in 5 gals that are ready to go in as soon as its built. but the other two are gonna be staggered behind a bit, those are still clones at the moment and need some veg time to get their sea legs.

they have some nice carports in the farmtek catalogs, almost made me consider just doing that and pulling tarp! but i need to have a permanent cover on my cold frames so they can't see any plants.

What size pots are you doing? What's your spacing between plants?

Yes4Prop215

Veteran
since i have to keep the plant count low it won't be a true maximization of canopy sq ft. i am aiming for something similar to Fisher's setup with 100-200 gal pots in rows spaced as close as possible.

would love to just do a SOG of 50-65 gallon pots but then i would be asking for criminal charges on top of a compliance check. from what I've gathered, under 99 keeps things in the civil compliance jurisdiction. over 100 and they bring in the sheriff special enforcement unit to hit with cultivation charges.

ApolloAK

Yea I'm planning on doing 99 plants this year. Can't decide on pot size. I'm going to run (2) 20x96 greenhouses this year. Figured I would do 49/50 in them, 2 rows in each greenhouse. Do you think I should run bigger than 65 gallon pots? Maybe I should bump it up to 100-120? Only going to have 10' of clearance so I was thinking I would have to pull a tarp and start flowering early.

FatherEarth

Veteran
So your negative experience was with enviro tech and was a service based issue?

Where you were satisfied with the quality of the Rimol material?

Backyard Farmer

Veteran
The light dep part comes from another outfit.

Envirotech has "good" customer service, in that they eventually fixed every mistake, and even paid for what they damaged via fire...but they have horrible customer relations and service in that they couldn't pack an order correct to save their life or walk up to a fully built frame with functioning ridge vent and framed end walls and construct the blackout kit that came with no instructions quickly

furrywall11

I just set up my Karmen's Greenhouse helper arm (it's just like the golden arm pretty much) and it just won't work on my 72x20x11.5 greenhouse with the silver and black heavy duty black out tarp I got from Gro Tek. It's just too heavy..I can see it bending the arm down..and...there's no way one person could do it regularly. Anyone have any recommendations on tarps? or maybe some tips for the helper arm?

I don't want to go with breathable blackout tarp from forever flowering..wayyy too expensive and not very durable..and, I'm a little hesitant to go the doubled up panda plastic route because I'm not sure it would be that much lighter than the back and silver tarp and it can be unwieldy. looking for something in between and I need to be able to pick it up in Norcal or have it shipped fast. I've been turning on cfls in the greenhouse @ midnight with no tarp and it's starting to freak me out.

Also, I just found out that the tarp Gro-Tek sold me as part of a package is a full 3' too short on the sides. I'm going to call them tomorrow and see if they'll stand behind what they recommended.

Yes4Prop215

Veteran
Yea I'm planning on doing 99 plants this year. Can't decide on pot size. I'm going to run (2) 20x96 greenhouses this year. Figured I would do 49/50 in them, 2 rows in each greenhouse. Do you think I should run bigger than 65 gallon pots? Maybe I should bump it up to 100-120? Only going to have 10' of clearance so I was thinking I would have to pull a tarp and start flowering early.

i also thought about doing smaller pots but fisher already did this and recommended going with at least 100s…reason being that in the heat of summer with temps hitting 90s-100s a 8 foot bush in a 65 will be sucking water very fast and risk going dry much quicker. with a 100-200 theres a little more room for error. but if you have auto timers and are on sight the entire day and can water 2-3x a 65 might do fine. I've seen huge plants put out serious weight from root bound pots watered multiple times a day.

ApolloAK

i also thought about doing smaller pots but fisher already did this and recommended going with at least 100s…reason being that in the heat of summer with temps hitting 90s-100s a 8 foot bush in a 65 will be sucking water very fast and risk going dry much quicker. with a 100-200 theres a little more room for error. but if you have auto timers and are on sight the entire day and can water 2-3x a 65 might do fine. I've seen huge plants put out serious weight from root bound pots watered multiple times a day.

I've got power and my own well on site. I was planning on doing drippers. Maybe get a couple of 500 gal tanks

Space Case

Veteran
Have you spoken to Envirotech? They seem like good folks, pretty sure they are also in Grass Valley.

Backyard Farmer

Veteran
I've spent tons of money with them and I'd never do it again.. Straight bullshit artists

Incorrect delivered..took a year ..literally...to get all correct parts and complete build..their unlicensed crew started a fire at my place that resulted in a compliance check..what more crap can u get from a GH company? Oh yeah and their dude idan has the customer service skills of a baboon

Yes4Prop215

Veteran
^ yea pretty much was steered away by environtech due to BYF's experience, sucks he had to go through that. i mean a fucking FIRE that resulted in a check, that alone would be a headache beyond belief. I've heard other bad stories from people at the grow shops as well…

i break ground on cold frame # 1 on monday!

Bo Hasset

God, the entire Butte, Tehama, Yuba, Nevada area probably lights up like something out of a Star Wars movie this year with all the additional hoop houses being sold... as soon as nightfall would hit last summer it was always fun to look out over my ridge and look for all the glowing domes of light from where folks didint bother to tarp at night when using supp lighting.

FTR, I'm calling FarmTek this morning to see what kind of financing I might qualify for... all the kids are doing it, why not?

furrywall11

If you're up at midnight you might see the lights at my place..;) Note: the "golden arm" isn't actually capable of pulling a standard gro-tek tarp over a 20x72 hoop house...or at least not with any less effort then ropping it in a rainstorm..damn thing is bending like it's going to break, too. If you watch the golden arm video without thinking of all the tarp you won't have to pull youll notice he's working with a 8' greenhouse and 5ml panda plastic. I'm working on some kind of electric winch system now.