What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Malawi from ACE Seeds

ChaosCatalunya

5.2 club is now 8.1 club...
Veteran
Mine got caned by caterpillars, then rain, then rotted, then stolen and eventually recovered 500m away in a torrential storm at 5am and survived a Police visit mid trimming, re the adventures with the theft. Still turned out a great smoke, as you describe.

Yes, but you really should grateful that it didn't get swallowed by a sinkhole or abducted by aliens.

Funnily enough I took a pic of some of the stolen plants in the middle of the nights adventures

picture.php

B

Bob Green

Nice buds and report, you did an awesome job on her!

As far as the yield goes I am betting it was the 5gal smart pot you had her in that set your limits. For getting over a pound of bud per plant outdoors/greenhouse they really need a few hundred gallons. Rootbound = low yield.

MadMac

far beyond driven...
Malawi is the Queen!

Malawi is the Queen!

Hey everyone, first time poster here. I just wanted to share a smoke report of my ACE Seeds Malawi because it's so impressive, and I hope that my review will inspire some of you to grow it yourselves!

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=59363&pictureid=1391728&thumb=1]View Image[/url]

-She was grown from seed in a greenhouse.
-2014 seed, purchased from Herbie's a year ago
-Started in mid-May, cut down in mid-December
-Grown in Ocean Forest potting soil in a 5 gallon smart pot
-Used General Organics line of nutrients including Bio Bud (nute solution adjusted to 6.3 pH during flower), plus EWC/Actinovate/turbinado sugar teas
-Indonesian bat guano finish followed by a turbinado sugar flush before December harvest.
-Pheno was 7-8 feet tall, super lanky, tons of branches. Low-medium leafiness. Sativa-type leaves that seemed to get narrower as the plant grew bigger. Bud structure was extremely loose w/ lots of large resiny calyxes, like sticky-icky foxtails. Spicy, woody, herbaceous smell during flower, like a brick of hash and a bottle of Paco Rabanne had a lovechild in the Serengeti.
-Yield was extremely low. Despite her large size, ample supply of organic nutrients and exposure to strong Southern California sun in a decently-controlled greenhouse environment, she only yielded 2 ounces.

SMOKE REPORT (6-week cure)

-Insanely dank, woodsy cologne and fuel notes, loud and wild smell. I've never smelled weed like this before. Is this what Africa smells like?
-Taste is smooth, herbal, woody, sweet, with a touch of cigar.
-High is a creeper, takes about 10 minutes to fully kick in. But when it does, it hits you in the head like wrecking ball! If you smoke too much it can almost feel like a brain freeze! Super euphoric with a speedy energetic buzz. Puts a big fat grin on your face with red heavy-lidded eyes. A mild but pleasant body effect gives it a medical edge. The high is strong and psychoactive and very long lasting (0.25g = 3 hours) with a smooth comedown. Also, no paranoia!

Dubi, if you are reading this, thank you for your wonderful genetics! I truly adore the Malawi and look forward to growing more of your gear in the future.

high Emeril Lagasse,
thank you for the smoke report!
It's so true how you describe the high... it's the most powerful weed i came across the last 20 years... and i live in holland! For some of my hard smoking friends it's too much hehe. This year i gave some cuttings from my Malawi to my friends for outdoor growing @ 51°lat north europa near Amsterdam and hey they finish proper here outdoors under very very bad and wet conditions without any bud mold or other diseases! Amazing genetics!
Our dutch hybrids are crap compared to this gear from ACE!
i've also grow'n Malawi from 2014 organic in 18gallon smart pot this year... Malawi is a huge yielder when you use bigger container! I got really impressive bud's with lot of resin and big trichomes as you can see in the pic... and if you have good soil you only need little really little feeding in the mid of bloom... thats all.
If you buy next time ACE gear than do it direct on the ACE webpage!
You get all time one or two seed extra in each pack you order and always some freebies to try... like Dr. King say... and if you have issues they are there to help you! Best support from all breeders i know... and i know many here!
happy growin'
M.:tiphat:

Malawi indoors around 90 day's look @ the sugar
picture.php

Malawi @ 51°lat 9 oct 2015
picture.php

sprinkl

Veteran
That is amazing MadMac! I've been wondering how it would do around 50N outdoors. I thought it would finish later without much rot problems but such huge buds so early is a surprise to me.

skoviik

A warm hello to everyone from the sunny side of the Alps!

this is my first post, I also haven't done much reading of this forum, but as I have seen so far I have a lot of catching up to do! Which is good :)

I am an ordinary small scale grower, just to fulfill my needs. I don't buy fertilisers...I just use the best forest soil I can find in the near vicinity, old wood, leaves...I prepare the soil before winter time for the next year. Yields are good, no problem getting 150g per early pearl so for me a dozen +- plants like that is enough.

landstrains are a fetish of mine not only in cannabis so when I found out about a.c.e seeds I was thrilled - particularly because of the sativas

sorry for the long intro - now to get to the point

wow MadMac - Bravo! ...how did you get it to be so mature so early?I live in Europe at 46lat, submediterrainean climate...I just purchased malawi from ace seeds and was going to grow it indoors but now you've got me thinking...
I would love to give it a go outdoors but I was sure that it wouldn't finish - how did you do it? I would be very grateful for any tips...

Koondense

Veteran
Hey skoviik,
I suggest you visit the ACE subforum for more detailed debating:)

I tried Malawi regular in 2013 at same latitude as you and it did not finish, was chopped in early december after some frosty days.
However it was a late planted seed plant and started preflowering at end of september, a late finishing pheno.
Maybe if you start them indoors and before the flip take some clones for the outdoor season, you'll have more chances to make them finish under the Alps.
Or search for a quick pheno like the one MadMac has and you're sure to finish it properly.

Or maybe try the Malawi cross with PCK, looks bomb for outdoor guerrilla.

Old Fogey

This thread could use some freshening up.

Sorry about the quality of the pics.

I have 2 Ace Malawi regular females grown from seed at lights 11:30hrs on 12:30hrs off. These pics are day 85 and about 10 days after the first sign of calyx formation.

Two distinct phenos.

A taller (22 inch) Sativa type with productive lower branching and a spear shaped cola.

Ace Malawi 1 Day 85 from seed 1.jpg

Ace Malawi 1 Day 85 from seed 2.jpg

Ace Malawi 1 Day 85 from seed 3.jpg

A shorter (17 inch) Indica type solid baseball bat, single cola with a blunt end.

Ace Malawi 2 Day 85 from seed 1.jpg

Ace Malawi 2 Day 85 from seed 2.jpg

Both plants are very healthy. Some Nitrogen deficiency is setting in, despite having given the plants a couple of light veg feeds a month or so into flowering. I had taken some clones too late (3 of 4 failed) so I intend to reboot the plants and I didn't want them dying before I could get some new growth happening.

There is a little bit of extra stretch on the main cola of pheno 1 as a result of these light veg feeds, but nothing too severe. Before sexing at around day 37 I'd fed lightly with CalMag and bloom nutrients. They've been grown in coco/perlite from the start.

I haven't grown Ace Malawi before. However, they look like they will go another 4 or 5 weeks.

I'll come back with a report and some more pics in a few weeks or when calyx formation really takes off.

Peace

99%

Chaos Catalunya wrote "Mine got caned by caterpillars, then rain, then rotted, then stolen and eventually recovered 500m away in a torrential storm at 5am and survived a Police visit mid trimming, re the adventures with the theft. Still turned out a great smoke, as you describe."

It's lines like this that makes ICmag.com a great place to spend an hour or two of reading. I know this is the wrong forum and the wrong thread, but I'd appreciate hearing from other outdoor growers on how they combat caterpillars, especially the ones that live in buds that are in the early and middle stages of growth. The caterpillars around here are small, light green and though they don't seem to eat very much, but I almost always get mold inside the bud due to caterpillar shit and damage they caused. I haven't sprayed anything on the plants (I'm really hesitant to spray anything on flowering plants) and usually try to pick them out one by one, but they are hard to see and I cause lots of damage (bruising) trying to grab the little thin green bastards. I usually end up losing about 1/2 the yield on many of the subtropical plants I grow but much less on the faster finishing, modern hybrids as I think the fuelly, strong smell helps repels most of them. I will try and spray the plants in early flowering this year...please suggest any natural and safe methods you have used successfully that I could mix and prepare myself, I'm not interested in using harmful chemicals and as these plants are grown guerrilla style in various little plots in the bush, I can't use netting. I could grow just the fast finishing varieties, but depending on the type of weather we have each year, I find it best to grow a variety of thin and wide leaved strains. I also have big problems with scale and meally buds that I also hand pick off/scrape off/squash. Any advice welcome.

troutman

Seed Whore
Chaos Catalunya wrote "Mine got caned by caterpillars, then rain, then rotted, then stolen and eventually recovered 500m away in a torrential storm at 5am and survived a Police visit mid trimming, re the adventures with the theft. Still turned out a great smoke, as you describe."

It's lines like this that makes ICmag.com a great place to spend an hour or two of reading. I know this is the wrong forum and the wrong thread, but I'd appreciate hearing from other outdoor growers on how they combat caterpillars, especially the ones that live in buds that are in the early and middle stages of growth. The caterpillars around here are small, light green and though they don't seem to eat very much, but I almost always get mold inside the bud due to caterpillar shit and damage they caused. I haven't sprayed anything on the plants (I'm really hesitant to spray anything on flowering plants) and usually try to pick them out one by one, but they are hard to see and I cause lots of damage (bruising) trying to grab the little thin green bastards. I usually end up losing about 1/2 the yield on many of the subtropical plants I grow but much less on the faster finishing, modern hybrids as I think the fuelly, strong smell helps repels most of them. I will try and spray the plants in early flowering this year...please suggest any natural and safe methods you have used successfully that I could mix and prepare myself, I'm not interested in using harmful chemicals and as these plants are grown guerrilla style in various little plots in the bush, I can't use netting. I could grow just the fast finishing varieties, but depending on the type of weather we have each year, I find it best to grow a variety of thin and wide leaved strains. I also have big problems with scale and meally buds that I also hand pick off/scrape off/squash. Any advice welcome.

Use Bacillus thuringiensis (Bt) to control caterpillars. :tiphat:

The sell it everywhere.

ChaosCatalunya

5.2 club is now 8.1 club...
Veteran
^^^^ This... BT is a naturally occurring bacteria that causes no harm and can be sprayed on gardens in flower

You can also use a light trap against moths, marketed as a bug zapper iirc, sitting in the garden at night waiting for customers for my big game hunting program you are constantly amazed by the sheer number of moths that are flying about and how you grow to love bats...

Moths and their caterpillars seem to like fruity tasty plants more than others, I spent more time manually chasing the fuckers through summer than I did watering. Malawi is fruitier than most, so got more attention than the Panama nearby

Stolen Malawis, recovered at 4am in a thunderstorm, eternal thanks to P

picture.php