What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Organic media & amendment suppliers in the UK

amneziack

On ebay you can normally find something pretty local. I'm stuck on a basalt supplier in spain, I am right thinking Granite is a good subsitute when using this recipe

1:1:1 base mix---peat, compost, aeration.

per cubic foot add

1/2 c neem seed meal
1/2c kelp meal
1/2c crab shell meal

1 cup rock dust
1 cup basalt
1 cup oyster shell powder
1 cup gypsum

weedtoker

Veteran
So first, I have to thank you for all the effort put into this thread, even inside a country, there's usually enough disparity to cause a little chaos in our minds at first glance. I will add inn my experience from Europe based on Iberia...

My base mix uses store bought soil and compost/ewc. I do think they're only making biz in POR/SPA, so not much of a help for here. If you're in Iberia do a search for SIRO, the "aromatics" mix and try a bit, lots of ewc, no sterile aeration, etc.

I try to source my things around either bought or collected. Having said that when I really need I have a nice hydro-store kind thingy in the country (I think they send abroad too) that has more than one kind of guano, lots of other amendments (neem meal, kelp, fish,guanos etc) that is urbicult-pt.

Many other stuff that I buy comes from agriculture shops, animal feed stores, etc. It took me a year to finally give in and do like others, search in the real world for alternatives.
- Oyster Shell? Try it in the pet store or animal feed, it's used for grit in birds remember?
- If you want mulch and don't want to colect/are afraid of pests, try again the animal store for bunny/rodents litter, it's usually made from wood shavings and comes compressed as coco-bricks (dirt-cheap too cause it's a by-product).
-Or alfalfa for example. The country where I live doesn't have so much alfalfa/lucerne) produce per year. Reasons apart, you may find it in straw for animal feed, or seed for cover crop.
- If you want rock dusts go to/contact places that cut, separate stone, etc.

And that's about what I remember for now. Cheers:tiphat:

@VerdantGreen - could I ask what silicon source you use / recommend? I've been using plant magic bio silicon but can't get any detail from them as to what's in it. I'm not comfortable with the humic content without detail.

Haven't been able to find any agsil etc locally. There's a number like vitalink , GT Liquid silicon etc. I'm growing LOS.

Thanks

TnTLabs

On ebay you can normally find something pretty local. I'm stuck on a basalt supplier in spain, I am right thinking Granite is a good subsitute when using this recipe

1:1:1 base mix---peat, compost, aeration.

per cubic foot add

1/2 c neem seed meal
1/2c kelp meal
1/2c crab shell meal

1 cup rock dust
1 cup basalt
1 cup oyster shell powder
1 cup gypsum

where in spain did you get the oyster shell powder, rock dust and gypsum? thanks

TnTLabs

So first, I have to thank you for all the effort put into this thread, even inside a country, there's usually enough disparity to cause a little chaos in our minds at first glance. I will add inn my experience from Europe based on Iberia...

My base mix uses store bought soil and compost/ewc. I do think they're only making biz in POR/SPA, so not much of a help for here. If you're in Iberia do a search for SIRO, the "aromatics" mix and try a bit, lots of ewc, no sterile aeration, etc.

I try to source my things around either bought or collected. Having said that when I really need I have a nice hydro-store kind thingy in the country (I think they send abroad too) that has more than one kind of guano, lots of other amendments (neem meal, kelp, fish,guanos etc) that is urbicult-pt.

Many other stuff that I buy comes from agriculture shops, animal feed stores, etc. It took me a year to finally give in and do like others, search in the real world for alternatives.
- Oyster Shell? Try it in the pet store or animal feed, it's used for grit in birds remember?
- If you want mulch and don't want to colect/are afraid of pests, try again the animal store for bunny/rodents litter, it's usually made from wood shavings and comes compressed as coco-bricks (dirt-cheap too cause it's a by-product).
-Or alfalfa for example. The country where I live doesn't have so much alfalfa/lucerne) produce per year. Reasons apart, you may find it in straw for animal feed, or seed for cover crop.
- If you want rock dusts go to/contact places that cut, separate stone, etc.

And that's about what I remember for now. Cheers:tiphat:

good point!

DarkKaya

TL:DR - no one used mature horse shit?

Great thread, Just looking into organics, is horse / chicken shit out if the window cuz of vet drugs and or smell.

I was just going to do it the "old" way I used years ago, johning number 2 mature horse crap 2:1 with a 20% helping of granite fish tank gravel unwashed a few garden worms mixed up in a black bucket with air holes and throw in a couple of organic apples / pears chopped down, wait a few weeks until apples have broken down and give it a good mix, use a riddle to get the worms out and check there health a good indicator of soil health, move the soil to a sealed black bucket wit a good mix of used mushroom compost for a couple of days, actually a old time grower told me to freeze mix for 48 hours instead of sealed bucket to stop it going sour, then loosen it through with more gravel and plant seedling / cutting and water as required to havest... But this was back in early 90's when then only place to get skunk seeds where the sensi shop in the dam.

It's all got technical. But I got to say, the results seems much better, but is it the lights, soil, seeds? Used to grow in bubble wrapped greenhouse too in line with natural season.

Cool link in this thread though, nice.

LEDAstray

Neither media or an amendment...or organic for that matter. BUT, a tool that no US grower seems to do without and I thought this would be a good place for the info. The humble Rubbermaid tote! Great for storing all your amendments, soil mixes and all sorts of DIY shinanigans.

Rough Totes (under the name Carver UK)
http://www.plasticboxshop.co.uk

The Stronger Brute versions can be found here
https://www.globalfse.co.uk

Little/very expensive but they last years and I've never found an alternative. All we seem to have in the uk are the clear brittle things that shatter if you put more than a couple of spare pillows inside and drop from an inch! Anything stronger always has those annoying flappy lids.

PabloAcuario

I’ve committed the ultimate soil sin. I’ve ran out of kelp meal!
I should be sent to Oregon and sentenced to two years of hard labour vermicomposting :bashhead:

Anybody tried Elixir Seaweed meal Fertilizer….
Elixir Seaweed Meal Fertiliser “100% natural and organic” and “The Seaweed is Ascophyllum Nodosum Concentrated from the Northern Atlantic”
10Kg bucket delivered for £24.99

Fanx in advance :tiphat:

cloudsosmoke

New seller of eathical bat guano extract/tea..decide for yourself
Linkhttps://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BatMaster-Organic-Fertiliser-Plant-Food-Bat-Guano/292566556336?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=591377777947&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

I grow autos - 10 wks max ..so seaweed meal is maybe too slow release for me...I use use RAW humic and seaweed powder in my pots (at the lowest recommended dose)...I look at grow weed easy.com for lots of ideas
..I do use elixir volcanic rock dust

cloudsosmoke

I’ve committed the ultimate soil sin. I’ve ran out of kelp meal!
I should be sent to Oregon and sentenced to two years of hard labour vermicomposting :bashhead:

Anybody tried Elixir Seaweed meal Fertilizer….
Elixir Seaweed Meal Fertiliser “100% natural and organic” and “The Seaweed is Ascophyllum Nodosum Concentrated from the Northern Atlantic”
10Kg bucket delivered for £24.99

Fanx in advance :tiphat:

See above..fogot to link reply
Stoned again