What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The Infamous Irene Kush...straight outta' the Dirty South!!!

Tynehead Tom

I was also told by an old head friend of my from the US that the Irene came from resinlung's collection.
One of canadian clone suppliers had or might still have it so maybe I'll scrape some cash together and snag a clone if it's still availlable.
One of my favorite Bodhi crosses , the Grandma's Hashplant , crosses Irene with 88g13hp. I was a tester before it was released and held a clone from that tester pack for 5 years and just let it go last summer. Grabbed a couple packs from GLG so I can sift through more of those beans. I still have jars of the keeper tester girl and the nose and flavor is extremely complex and potency is way up there.
09-27-2022 GHP pic 2 - Copy.JPG

Dutchland

Fuckin finally someone says it. I been trying to tell people that Irene came out of resinlungs packs and the cut that resin had wasn't the same as the Josh.

You always be coming through confirming shit I find out in the pipeline consistently.

Hey JetLife came across your posts researching Irene since I found a source for rooted clones available...
IDK if you saw it, but Rudeboi explains the Irene origins on page 6

Sorry for taking so long to elaborate!!!

Well White Trash Redneck, I see why you're confused or need further clarification!!!LOL This is going to be a lengthy post so please bare with me. I got introduced to the "Old Man" back in '97. The Old Man is somewhat of a Hollywood legend, a true ole school Pot Star of the highest order. He introduced me to his young protege shortly after, the homie Kodiak. Kodiak is the dude that grew up with Kush Ken AKA Orgnkid. That is how I got personally introduced to Orgnkid and got my first real Kush genetics. Kodiak has/had numerous resources and although I really enjoyed the work I was getting from Kid thru him, it was hard for Kid to keep up with the demand. Because of that Kodiak started offering me packs from various sources. 2 strains that he was sending/bringing became INSTANT CLASSICS. After much debate about which was which we narrowed it down to 2 O.G. Kushes that came from a Hollywood grower named Larry. When Kodi and I used to reference them we would say "Larry's O.G." and later we began to refer to it simply as "The Larry". At that time we would still have a bit of confusion because in fact 2 of Larry's O.G. Kushes were being asked for, and he never quite knew which one I was referring to without me having to elaborate!Haha Well the confusion didn't last long because one of the main custies of both of Larry's O.G.'s began to ask for the "emerald green lookin' O.G.". (God Bless the dead R.I.P. Timmy D) I went to go serve Timmy D. and when I got there I pulled out a Lbow of each because I wasn't exactly sure which one of Larry's O.G.'s he was talkin' bout!!! I popped open both of them and soon as his nose hit it he said, "There she goes good night Irene"!!LOL He then began to tell me that when people smoke too much of her its lights out, good night Irene. Plus that was his grandmothers middle name. Anywho ever since that day I referred to one of Larry's O.G. Kushes as "The Larry" and the other as "Irene" Timmy D was a well known dude in the "A" and sponsored a smokeout/picnic/BBQ every year called "DRO DAY" All those "in the know" would gather and smoke the best topshelf we had, listen to music, gawk at big booty Ga. Peaches, and parade around Old School Chevy's! Those were the days. As I digress, Anyways after some time and coaxing Kodiak was able to convince grower Larry that I wasn't a threat to him since I lived on the other side of the country and that I could be trusted to have cuts of Larry/Irene. I got both of them but somehow fucked up and only got to run Irene 1X before I lost her!(I know sux right). I asked Kodi to get me another Irene cut from Larry but that seemed like mission impossible or atleast improbable. Fast forward a year or 2. My buddy from the Bronx,(BX Borough Stand Up) that was living in ATL calls me to his crib and has like 6-7 Lbows of O.G. Kush that is seeded like crazy!!!!! He hands me a bag and says help me start taking these beans out because I'm gonna give all this shit back because its gonna be a pain in the ass to move. So I helped him take out as many beans as we could without destroying the work. To put it simply we probably had 150+ beans. He offered me some but after smoking the buds and not being impressed I was like nah, I've got plenty of "good genetics"!LOL You know verified shit from Orgnkid, plus cuts from Larry, Etc. Etc... Well he gives about 14 seeds to another homie from the Bronx, Nasty. Well as fate would have it, maybe 3 or 4 weeks after getting these beans my boy got raided. He lost all of the beans as well as a shit load of Moms I had just dropped off to him. Anywho, Nas pops those beans and outta it he had several pheno's. One was the "Irene" that is featured in this thread. One other was good with a slightly more indica look. And lastly was by far my favorite, "The Rock" pheno. It was a straight up Uber dank Indica O.G. that was STOOPID potent. I'm not exaggerating when I say it was probably 1 and a half times as strong as this pheno! And like most all great things, "ONLY THE GOOD DIE YOUNG"!!!!LOL It got lost in the mix. I can't tell you how many times I asked Nas for "The Rock" but somehow some way he would give me a different pheno but not the one I so very much desired! We had a lil click of us that hung out real tight some years ago. Smokedherbz is one of the guys, he's a helluva grower and we worked on plenty of projects together in years past. He was one of the Original holders of the Irene. Myself, SmokeDherbz and his partner, Nas all of us proudly come from Jamaican stock and all were a major part of Irene becoming a household name in ATL. When I started to evaluate the bagseed from Nas I realized that it closely resembled "Larry's Irene". Not exactly the same but close enough that it could be flown under the same banner. We began to call this cut "Rene"(pronounced REEN" most people assumed we were abreviating Irene. Because the $$$ was so good for Irene we saw no point in differentiating it from Rene. Like usual after I confirmed that I really liked the cut I sent it out to S4v for safe keeping(I like having my fave's backed up far away!!LOL) I also sent S a one of a kind Larry/PK male but we're not gonna get into that!!Haha And from S4v that's how Dusty got it to give to you I.G.T. Comprende? Sorry for being so long winded but hopefully it can be completely put to rest.

mdclone

Wanted to jump in here again, my buddy who runs a genetics library, does a lot of testing, pretty well connected has been doing gods work trying to hunt down the real deal Irene and he's gone through a lot of cuts/seeds, etc.

Here to save anyone else the time. Tried both Rudeboi and Bodhi and unfortunately these are nothing close to the real deal Irene, no offense to anyone, the buds are very nice, but definitely not the Irene that this thread was started about. Beyond those two, he had some solid reputation ppl who claimed to have the real deal and time after time, it's not the real deal. I need to check in on the resinlung angle with him, he would know more from the various sources so maybe that's one that was left out.

This got my buddy and I talking that perhaps the Irene that was circulating in the dirty south was a different Irene than what was circulating elsewhere which is entirely possible, but boy that Irene that this thread is referring to is one of the best strains of all time. I was lucky enough to have access to many elites and clone only's in my time and that one was the best of the best. I also really miss the most unique of all, Mothership, which I would love to try again but I think that one is long gone too.

I reconnected with the person who I sourced the Irene from and he said that the person growing it stopped growing a long time ago, maybe even passed away, I forget the details but it is no where to be sourced. I'm afraid these genetics may be lost to time but god bless anyone who is still out there on the hunt that has the real deal. I can still taste it in my minds eye!

Latest posts

Latest posts