What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

this may be a stupid question

medman225

Many different species of plants can b crossbred and hybridized..... broccli is an example i believe.... my question is wuld pollen from a different species b able to pollenate a marijuana plant? Again sry if this is a stpid question.:thank you:

yerboyblue

I personally want to cross a feral boar with a chinook salmon, that would be quite the fishing experience.

I'm sure Monsanto could come up with broccoli that put off trichs though.

vukman

Veteran
When scientists cross breed species, it is generally not on the level of which you are thinking but rather gene splicing. So, when they took spider genes and spliced them into goat genes, yes, it worked. Now they have goats which produce milk with spider silk in it. They can then use that milk to extract the 'silk' and have actually developed fibres stronger than "Kevlar" or "Spectra".

As to just take pollen from one species and then spray it around and see what happens....that happens in nature all the time when the wind blows and we do not end up with all sorts of genetic abnormalities.....99.9999% of the time anyway..

So the level of genetic manipulation you are talking about......well......you can try it but I wouldn't expect any outcomes..:)

medman225

Lol.... u guys r makin me sound like som mad scientist qwack haha
while i admit an orange with cannabinoids wuld b cool.... its not my prerogative to create som new species... i was simply curious lol..... i posted that at like 5 or 6 this morning...

sso

Veteran
its not possible to use pollen from another species on mj.

it wont work, (not without a lab.)

sso

Veteran
you are not the first to think of this, though usually people wonder about splicing weed to something else for some reason. :)

Granger2

Veteran
You would have to have another species with the same number of chromasomes. You would need something probably closely related. Bout the only thing TMK would be Hops. In the produce section you find Pluots, Nectarines, etc. that are crosses between closely related parents [Plum/apricot, Peach/plum]. Let me know if you have any luck. -granger

dizzlekush

Nectarines, etc. that are crosses between closely related parents [Plum/apricot, Peach/plum]. Let me know if you have any luck. -granger

The nectarine being a cross is a very common myth. Its just a peach with a recessive trait that doesn't develop the characteristic peach fuzz.

S

SeaMaiden

Many different species of plants can b crossbred and hybridized..... broccli is an example i believe.... my question is wuld pollen from a different species b able to pollenate a marijuana plant? Again sry if this is a stpid question.:thank you:

A good example of this would be quinoa. You have to be sure not to grow it near other plants such as lamb's quarters or spinach specifically BECAUSE they can cross so easily.

That said, I only know of C. sativa crossing with other closely related Cannabis species, such as ruderalis. I am hardly knowledgeable on this particular subject, but I think a Google Scholar search could net you some good, citable work, or papers that have cited others that you may be able to research.

SCF

Bong Smoking News Hound
Veteran
i believe its called Grafting. And if anyone does this, i would love to see pictures!

Holdin'

Moon-grass farmer
Veteran
i believe its called Grafting. And if anyone does this, i would love to see pictures!

Grafting is quite a bit different than gene splicing. Just sayin.

I know many have grafted cannabis... I've been wanting to try it myself to create a multi-strain mother. Theres a thread on that somewhere.

But relating to what the OP asked... now this would be an interesting and likely a more easily answered question that im sure somebody here could give their input on.... and that would be would it be possible to GRAFT cannabis to a different species or vice versa...?