What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

My backyard solid walled GH--

Great thread and I wanted to bump because I was not sure if a solid walled GH would let in enough light. You answered that! What a setup and good luck to the OP, stay safe!

I want to do something similar and I had a couple of questions for you pros.

My dream has been to convert a metal building by stripping the roof off and replacing with opaque poly or solexx. There are tons of these types of properties near me that sit on 15-30 acres and the closest house to some of these that I have looked at were a quarter mile away.

Been growing for over 10 years and I have always had problems indoors anytime the temps are over 80 so I don't know how you guys deal with 100s. Do any of you run AC? I know many run swamp coolers, are you guys anywhere near the SE USA where it is humid and if so do they work in those conditions?

Sorry if this is a basic question, I searched before posting and didn't see anything, but are you guys growing indoor or outdoor strains in GHs?

St. Phatty

Great thread and I wanted to bump because I was not sure if a solid walled GH would let in enough light. You answered that! What a setup and good luck to the OP, stay safe!

Been growing for over 10 years and I have always had problems indoors anytime the temps are over 80 so I don't know how you guys deal with 100s. Do any of you run AC? I know many run swamp coolers, are you guys anywhere near the SE USA where it is humid and if so do they work in those conditions?

Sorry if this is a basic question, I searched before posting and didn't see anything, but are you guys growing indoor or outdoor strains in GHs?

Ground effects cooling = run pipes in the ground.

do it right ... it heats in the winter & cools in the summer.

The pipes have to be down a few feet, where the soil stays about 55 F.

If you are shopping for properties, I would look for a building that has a BFM (big fvcking mass, engineering term) underground for you to use as a heat sink.

Nothing fancy, the concrete slab in a normal house basement runs cool and just blowing air through a cool basement room can help the greenhouse.

kmk420kali

Freedom Fighter
Veteran

I want to do something similar and I had a couple of questions for you pros.

My dream has been to convert a metal building by stripping the roof off and replacing with opaque poly or solexx. There are tons of these types of properties near me that sit on 15-30 acres and the closest house to some of these that I have looked at were a quarter mile away.

You will need translucent, not opaque roof-- Also, the metal shed may get too hot-- You can beat that by building wood framed walls inside it, and insulating the sides--

Swamp coolers will only work in dry climate-- They have a map of regions they work in on the package-- And I have run all sorts of strains in GH-- It is the best of both worlds, IMHO-- Good Luck!! :tiphat:

Thanks Kali.

You are correct, opaque by definition blocks light. The panels I am referring to are a brand called suntuf and they used to sell a different brand at Home Depot/Lowes (palruf?) that was similar. I think the cost on those were less than Solexx though it's been years since I checked on that.

Good point about insulation within a wood frame, I was planning on doing something like that though I hadn't completely thought out how I was going to attach to the walls. I even thought about planting a shading hedgerow with somthing fast growing but relatively easy to manage like clumping bamboo.

And yes I did see the maps for the swamp coolers and I am no where near where they would work so I have naturally ruled that out. I am thinking I would need a mini-split or two plus a bunch of fans to move the air around, it does get hot where I am located. Most of these storage buildings out in the country have power so getting AC shouldn't be a problem.

St. Phatty, you recommended a thermal mass for this and I certainly think that would be a viable option though I am not sure I want to bring anyone else in to do work or draw any attention to the property after I purchase. I am planning on doing this with a lifelong friend and we have knowledge of most topics to get this running on our own. What you suggest is certainly something that I want to do for my future dream property which will include a walipini to grow citrus and veggies.

If I find a building with a rock/natural floor I may put the plants directly in the ground. If so then I would drill out holes and refill with a good mix. I can imagine this is more time consuming than using large bags but are there other drawbacks that I am not considering?

Vegging would at least begin at my home and then I would transport the girls to the GH for further vegging or bloom. If I veg a girl indoors at 20hrs on/4hrs off then move her to the GH while daylight is around 15hrs will she start to bloom right away or will she wait until the 12/12 threshold?

As far as the smell, I currently grow in my house which is located in a subdivision on the outskirts of a metro so I need something that works well. I have tried a bunch of different things like charcoal and ozone but wasn't pleased with anything for various reasons.

My odor weapon fighter of choice? Dryer fabric sheets. They soak up the smell of anything (especially the Febreeze types) and I would simply run a larger version of what I run at my house: wooden box with lid on top, a 4" or 6" hole with screens attached to dryer vents and hoses on on both sides. Put a blower fan on one side then spread a couple of boxes of dryer sheets inside and the air coming out of that thing will reek of clean clothes. Change out the sheets at least once a week and you're good to go.

Been growing since the OG days and still have a couple of strains from that era, Bubblegum and Jock Horror. Would love to grow a couple tree size gals instead of the 5 gallon bucket gals that I get while indoors.

Thanks guys, sorry to hijack Kali.

Got any new eye candy BTW?