What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Forcing bloom: Manipulating photoperiod for out of season harvest

Crusader Rabbit

Veteran
That's so cool. So you just need two pipes and a U-joint. Notice that he didn't unroll it over the roof peak and on the downhill side? It might be hard to control in that situation. You'd be holding back the weight and the far end would want to slide down on its own.

2 Legal Co

Veteran
That's so cool. So you just need two pipes and a U-joint. Notice that he didn't unroll it over the roof peak and on the downhill side? It might be hard to control in that situation. You'd be holding back the weight and the far end would want to slide down on its own.

:laughing: You noticed that too? Yeah, I think it's only good for 'uphill' roofs, unless you were to put it on a reverse tensioning device. i.e. a rope on either end that spools up then coming open and unspools when closing?

Inquireing mind, May get me into trouble yet!:biggrin:

Or maybe a simpler thing would be to have the dead ends at the high point, with 2 rollers. Opening the 2 halves up to the center? hmmm

NPK

2nd edit; In first paragraph I am thinking light dep w/panda coming up/down to manipulate hours, 2nd paragraph is after I found wooden designs and thought it would be awesome to have just straight black box w/permanent panda plastic and take plants in/out of box at correct time to get 12 hrs light... I think 2nd idea would be better/sturdier...

This is exactly what I did the first time I light-depped around six years ago: I built a simple wooden frame and enclosed it in panda plastic, white side out. A dehumidifier is a must, or you will definitely end up with mold. If the structure's close to your home, sticking one in there is a piece of cake. Schlepped those plants in and out at the same time every morning and evening; it worked fantastically. You can also purchase a pre-fab structure and give it the same treatment. This year I'm using a 10' x 10' canopy tent "walled" on the inside with a 15" x 25" sheet of black plastic. The outside walls are covered with white sunscreens. If I had more space, I'd probably use a portable parking structure.

There are many ways to assemble an effective forcing structure quickly, easily, and pretty cheaply. I'll be interested to see what other people are coming up with.

oceangrownkush

Veteran
Hell yeah NPK glad to hear the same method I was thinking of was successful for you, any tips on good dehueys for GHs?

I found this useful little tool last night and I discovered I won't have to light dep at all, I think its more of a Nor Cal thing to light dep. Where I'm at the longest day we get is 14 hours, and plants will easily be fully flowering from 20/4 light schedule I veg in under 14/10.. So the only time of the year I'll have to manipulate the lighting is during winter, when I'll have to run the lights in the GH for 2 hours a day if I want to keep blooming.

Here is the daylight hour tool I found last night, really glad I found it;
http://astro.unl.edu/classaction/animations/coordsmotion/daylighthoursexplorer.html

HatchBrew

Veteran
The dispensarys around me label the light dep. goods. Interesting that the high supply has caused this to be a more popular style.

daviduski

Hi guys.

I did something like that in 2012.

It was a box with a blind engine that open or close the roof and a timer. It was programmed to close it before the sunrise and open a cople hours later, looking for 12 hours of sun, so the plants could be uncovered at night.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Clothing clips were there because it was gluing.

attachment.php

Regards from Spain

Attachments

• DSC07013.JPG
    DSC07013.JPG
    71.7 KB · Views: 54
  • DSC07017.JPG
    DSC07017.JPG
    80.3 KB · Views: 58
  • DSC07067.JPG
    DSC07067.JPG
    60.8 KB · Views: 55

Dr.Young

K+ vibes
Veteran
Wow dude... That is perfect... I was trying to think of a little setup that I could build, and maybe slide the plants into a black-box at night, but thats even better. I could just slide the roof instead of the plants :)

SOG ftw

T

trichy1

This is what I would use. Works going downhill as well. I've seen tarps 53' long and I'm pretty sure they'd make you a bigger one if you asked. Only 8' wide as built but it should scale up.

hos

Hi. I am starting to grow some sativa dominant plans in my friends greenhouse. I would like to start them flower in the begining of August. I am thinking to cover them to full dark for 3 or 4 days to start them flower. Feed them with pk 13-14 for support.
Does anybody know whats gonna happen if i uncovered them and the sunlight is still more than 14 hours in a day?
Thanks.

CowboyTed

Hi. I am starting to grow some sativa dominant plans in my friends greenhouse. I would like to start them flower in the begining of August. I am thinking to cover them to full dark for 3 or 4 days to start them flower. Feed them with pk 13-14 for support.
Does anybody know whats gonna happen if i uncovered them and the sunlight is still more than 14 hours in a day?
Thanks.

I don't know from personal experience, but I've read that some strains can sense that the nights are getting longer each day, and so they stay in flower, even though removing the blackout mechanism means that the plants are exposed to longer days.

I'm at the point where I have two plants in flower now, and I'm wondering when I can stop covering them, and just let the natural daylight take over.

Thankfully, I can go on black-boxing the plants as long as I need to, but I too wonder whether it is necessary.

grayeyes

Ok, the OP asked about forced flower not greenhouses.

I have done my last three grows this way. I start seed in cups then when 10-12 inches I transplant to 1 gallon pots. The 1 gallon pots, once they have at least 5-6 nodes then are moved for a 12/12 cycle into my bathroom with towels covering the window. After 6-8 days I can see what sex the plants are going to be. You can re-veg but I never do.

After that your plants follow the flowering cycle that your seed seller told you or you do the waiting game like everybody else.

Oh, I live in CA and grow outside. No giant electric bills that way. I feel sorry for indoor growers.

Latest posts

Latest posts