What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Forcing bloom: Manipulating photoperiod for out of season harvest

420stoner

can i just cover my future greenhouse with black plastic to flower my future girls, you guys think this will work?
cuz i dont want to be caring my future plants in & out. :)

Dkgrower

Veteran
@420stoner, u need to use some kind off material that block out light and can do that fore a minimum off 2 months, alot off material breakdown or wear, when exposed to outdoor weather.

The cheepest i can get is polydress-texaleen, black plastick that farmers use to cover hay, potatoes piles with when laying out side.

That comes in big rolls 50 m by 6m or bigger and can block out light fore 1 year, u need to change every season.

@Bling it wont work u need to block the light 100 % i have seen the funnie freak plants when a beam off light hits them or they grow right into the blackout materiale, last year i had a row off powerplants where the half part off the plant grew very close to the black out materiale and some light came in from the bottom, all that row the half side off every plant was so freaky with 1 finger leafs and the other side off the plant was fully normale producing nice buds...

Bom shiva

Hey there,
can anyone direct me to pics or links of larger automatic darkening systems?
Or just tell me how they work? Bigger ones, that is.

Dkgrower

Veteran
Hey SpanishW u need to do study off the subject, it is used in professional greenhouse gardening..

They work by strings and a special motor what pull the strings.. Not easy to build your self but if u buy a second hand 1 and build the greenhouse so it fits. Is the cheepest way..

Other wise u need a V-block style greenhouse if u want to run the new systems....

Good luck.. a greenhouse with automatik shading system is a bud producer, where u can grow alot with very littel work... Only harvest will be a major task...

http://viemose-driboga.eu/page/inventar/gardiner.html

Nice topic

Nice topic

I have a new greenhouse and trying to figure out a black out system for a 4 x 12 table....actually 2 of them.

FatherEarth

Veteran
I need to black out a 15'x70' greenhouse with exhaust fans and intakes and also has a ss double wall gh heater vent. I was thinking of boxing the exhaust fans and attaching round drainage pipes the kind that are corrugated and about 3 feet in diameter to the boxes, same for the intakes and pulling the blackout tarp over that.... any suggestions would be great. Thanks

HDPE_double_wall_corrugated_drainage_pipe_v0.jpg_200x200.jpg

FatherEarth

Veteran
There has got to be somewhere where the blackbox info is hiding. Too many ppl doing light deps these days to not have current stuff up. Can someone plz link me up?

Thanks

al-k-mist

Man, this is the shit.
We did a spring crop, that was more out of neccessity, moving them out of the flowering room to make more space. It worked. when done, we put clones in pots, put up a screen(stupid idea), and rocked out

We did not use automatic stuff. The first round was black plastic on the inside(14X15X6 high), run thru the ribs.
2nd round, found a big tarp that fit(15X25). Both times it was just black shit hung at the ends, super ghetto
Next year its on. Bigger gh, and , not automated, but rolled up tarp on a roller, instead of hand
730 am, 730 pm Got a cell phone but no service, just to have alarms set at 7 and 7. But it got to be habit.
It was also a time to do all of the work, and beginother stuff, so work is done by noon, mostly, and chill until 730 pm.

al-k-mist

I meant to say that when the first light dep crop was done, we did another light dep crop. 2 crops back to back
with 2 months veg time indoors, then do one while the next crops girls are vegging for 8 or 9 weeks, hopefully one could yield nicely, with organics, maybe 20-25 gallon home made smart pots(not done that yet)...thats the plan for next yr. 48 each time, legal limit with 2 people growing for self and 3 patients each

Husky Jackal

Very Neat Monster
Veteran
Howdy all, a lil plan here.
I'm planning to use light deprivation this year, but not early in the season.
I can keep plants out until November 5-10. The problem is that some strains slow down the flowering process when it gets colder and not finish as they should.
So I plan to force flower a sativa under a tent from 1st of August until September 22 (when it's 12/12 where I'm at) then let it finish naturally.
What do y'all think about this ? Any helpful tips or ideas are welcome.
Peace, HJ.

I'm in need of a light dep tent inside of my greenhouse I'm building this spring ... Not to force flower cause that's not the issue .... I'm in a suburb and everyone has security lights .... So gotta block out that light .... Gh will be 16L x 8w x 6/8h(6at walls &8 at center peak)

My idea is in august put up a PVC frame that is same size as my gh but down sized 1' everywhere to fit all the plants in and just roll down light blocking plastic every night at 7 or so and roll it back up in the morning ... Good thing is 2sides of the gh have a fence against it so I'll just keep the black out up there .. Doesn't effect light exposure ... So I only have to cover the roof and 2walls

Anyone ever tried creating a huge "bag" out of white poly and hot glue it together and just make them individual for each plant ... Cut a few slits at the top for hot air and moisture to flow out ... Any highdea's ;)

Or something I just thought up in conduction w the "bag" idea .... Make teepees for each plant and clip black out plastic to each teepee every night for a larger mini tent to prevent the plants from getting condensation on the buds all night long

Just tossing around some ideas in my head .... Wanted to get your take on it ... Tweaks new ideas more than welcome ... Luckly I have till august to figure this out .... Oh I'll only have 5plants in ground with atleast a month veg time indoors before going out in late may

oceangrownkush

Veteran
If anyone finds any links to light dep box build outs post em up, I'm gonna look at the different frames used for just straight gh's.. Its as simple as building out a gh with panda film rolls in the right dimensions to cover them into darkness at the proper hour daily. PVC would be great material, would be easy on the b/w plastic... Looking into this for some late/early bumper crops to supplement the natural season seedmothers..

Edit; Found this framing guide for a reg greenhouse... I like the idea of wood gh with stapled panda film sheets on either side of each dimension in the gh construction.. On a few of the roof and a few of the wall sheets of panda cut holes at opposing sides in different places so that air can flow freely without causing light leaks.. Add a few feet of ducting to the intakes wrapped around framing at an angle, passive in/out airflo.... Veg plants indoors, flo out, or throw some lights up and add fan to outdoor gh and veg out flo out... Thinking this could make my life a lot more productive..

Oh yeah the frame design;
http://www.thingstobuild.com/greenhouse-1.html

2nd edit; In first paragraph I am thinking light dep w/panda coming up/down to manipulate hours, 2nd paragraph is after I found wooden designs and thought it would be awesome to have just straight black box w/permanent panda plastic and take plants in/out of box at correct time to get 12 hrs light... I think 2nd idea would be better/sturdier...

2 Legal Co

Veteran
Glad to see this thread is coming to life.

I'm needing all sorts of info on GH... Just going to do a little bitty one for now.

Colo. compliant, and all that ya know.

D

Durdy

My GH is 10' x 20'

going to purchase a 20' x 30' tarp and pull it over at night and remove in the morning.

Mine is also to block out neighboring light sources, not light dep

Might set up a mini light dep though to get an early harvest!

Anyone ever seen an automated black out cover that went up and over a greenhouse? Not just pulled across a flat roof?

2 Legal Co

Veteran
My GH is 10' x 20'

going to purchase a 20' x 30' tarp and pull it over at night and remove in the morning.

Mine is also to block out neighboring light sources, not light dep

Might set up a mini light dep though to get an early harvest!

Anyone ever seen an automated black out cover that went up and over a greenhouse? Not just pulled across a flat roof?

Never a 'black out', but I vaguely remember one back home 'commercial GH', that had shade cloth in strips. Bottom/side was on spring loaded rollers. Top had a rod in a gusset, pulled up and across by a winch. Best I've seen, to remember anyway.

It'd be a major re-build to get to 'black out', I'm afraid. You'd need to run an 'interior' set of hoops... with everything atrung/attached to or below them, to get a clear pull, so the 'cover' could slide over the interior set in one pull... or maybe two (one from each side up to the middle?)...

Might be easier to do an exterior set and pull it over the whole thing?... with the 'take up' edge being attached to a roller, to pull it 'off'. Moveable edge would need to be one rod with 3 or 4 pulling cables, probably running in a 'channel' to keep from chewing up the clear skin. The pull cables would attach to a 'take up' rod, so you could pull all of them evenly. Probably need either 2 operators, or an adjustable brake on the cable side, so when you go to remove it there is still resistance After it crosses the high point..

Dkgrower

Veteran
If u want to have an automated black outsystem the cheepest way is to find 1 second hand and a greenhouse that fits the deminsions.

Latest posts

Latest posts