What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Root zone PH dropping - help!

TanzanianMagic

Veteran

Absolem

Sticky from the Coco section

Highyas guys...

After watching and reading and generally being impressed with the results you've all been getting with the coco medium, I've had to make the switch myself...

Being the rebel that I am...Not having coco specific nutes, and having a full supply of GH flora micro and bloom, I've been working at tailoring the 'Modified Lucas formula' I was using in pro-mix to suit the coco better...

The mix I have arrived at has reduced levels of K and P, and a slight reduction in total concentration, because I have been keeping the runoff to a minimum (only a few ounces of water come thru, just enough to let me know I'm completely saturated...

So... when I was using a modified lucas formula... my nutrient profile when growing in promix was:
N 130
P 93
K 163
Mg 64
S 43
Ca 130

By mixing 8ml/gal micro and 14ml/gal bloom and watering with plain water every other watering...

In the coco, I am now using 6ml/gal micro and 9ml/gal bloom which gives the nute profile:
N 97
P 60
K 105
Mg 41
S 27
Ca 97

adding 1 g/gal epsom salts to the solution changes the numbers for mg and s to:
Mg 67
S 61

Adjusting for the extra available potassium in the coco, the new formula puts me very close to the 'target ratio'... Phosphorous is a tad low, but I think there should be no worries there...

Nothing is too far along in flower right now, but I'll get some pics up a bit later.

I have also seen advantage in keeping the coco fairly wet, I'm guessing that the coco holds the nutes so well, that as moisture evaporates out, concentrations rise...

Comparison between Canna Coco and H3ad

Canna Coco A/B@ 8ml/gallon. Canna Boost @ 10ml/gallon. Total......................H3a d
N..........121................ .......................0...... ..........................121. ..................97 ppm's
P...........42................ ........................12.... ...........................54. ...................60 ppm's
K..........60................. .......................22..... ..........................82.. .................105 ppm's
Ca........98.................. .......................0...... ..........................98.. ..................97 ppm's
Mg.......33................... .......................0...... .........................33... .................41 ppm's
S.........15.................. ........................0..... ...........................15. ..................27 ppm's

Fourtay

ICMag Donor
@f-e In this run I am growing Big Papa OG very old cut, Temple Kush by ethos, Juliet, headband x i95, and big papa x the white.

What is interesting I find is that plants that finish earlier like Juliet, for example, have significantly lower rootzone ph levels than later finishing cuts. Juliet its totally done by day 42 while the og's can go 80+

I wonder if it has to do with root exudates and their adjustment of the ph

TanzanianMagic

Veteran
Originally Posted by Grat3fulh3ad

Being the rebel that I am...Not having coco specific nutes, and having a full supply of GH flora micro and bloom, I've been working at tailoring the 'Modified Lucas formula' I was using in pro-mix to suit the coco better...
Everything that is wrong in this thread summed up in 2 sentences. Now that's efficiency. :dance013:

First get things right, then you can tinker and see if it improves things.

Fourtay

ICMag Donor
Everything that is wrong in this thread summed up in 2 sentences. Now that's efficiency. :dance013:

First get things right, then you can tinker and see if it improves things.

I agree, tinker the setup after it is dialed.
However, you dont need coco specific nutrients to grow in coco, all that is needed is coco specific nutrient profile.

Last edited:

TanzanianMagic

Veteran
I agree, tinker the setup after it is dialed.
However, you dont need coco specific nutrients to grow in coco, all that is needed is coco specific nutrient profile.
The official lines released by the companies are extensively tested on their own coco coir media. That's true for Canna, Plagron, Biobizz, etc. In fact Canna's line of nutrients for their coco slabs is different than their line for their bagged coco coir.

To start your first coco grow experimenting with the media (mixing 40% hydroton into coco) and then also experimenting with the nutrient solution, is asking for a long series of complications, starting with the fact that the medium won't hold enough moisture without watering/feeding multiple times a day.

If you use straight up coco, and have a Relative Humidity of over 50%, you won't be watering/feeding more than once every two days or fewer.

That creates a more stable environment for the plant, it gives the roots time to look for water and nutrients without being presented with more nutrients every few hours.

Last edited:

Fourtay

ICMag Donor
Ah I didnt mean to mislead, this one isnt my first grow. I appreciate the help, I'm more looking to identify the problem here opposed to swapping the setup.

I like 60 40 for bloom.
Pure coco works great too, I like it in veg, good uniformity, lower stress, more PAW, can handle more DLI earlier, I'm running pure coco at another location and have done a bunch of pure coco runs recently

I like canna it works great for veg, same with plagron, plagron works a little better in veg imo. not so great in bloom imo

Latest posts

Latest posts