What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Forgiving cheap nutrients

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
Botanicare pure blend pro bloom. One bottle. 15$. Can flower a plant with just that and a pot of soil with excellent results. It does not get cheaper than that to grow quality cannabis plants.

I'm sure pissing, shitting, or all these other methods of wackiness may work, some, but do you really want to go through the time and effort of a flowering cycle and at the end smoke a bunch of pissed on hay? Come on

Malato

Botanicare pure blend pro bloom. One bottle. 15$. Can flower a plant with just that and a pot of soil with excellent results. It does not get cheaper than that to grow quality cannabis plants.

I'm sure pissing, shitting, or all these other methods of wackiness may work, some, but do you really want to go through the time and effort of a flowering cycle and at the end smoke a bunch of pissed on hay? Come on

Pissed on hay? Sounds like you got some pre conceived notions you need to work out and look at it logically through a biological stand point. I don't think anyone told him to use pee for flower cycle. Urea is a perfectly good option for veg.

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
No not really. I have a vegetable farm and I grow smoke for myself. Neither am I pissing on.

I don't see many growers posting pics of killer cannabis grown on piss. Feel free to prove me wrong. I still wouldn't smoke it. Sorry just my personal preference.

Malato

I already am proving it wrong lol. But personal preference is always respected. I again would point out though from a biological stand point it really doesn't make any sense why urea isn't as effective as ammonia nitrate and other common N sources.

Growcephus

Veteran
No not really. I have a vegetable farm and I grow smoke for myself.

Tomatoes.....do they eat more nutes than ganja? I can't seem to figure out wtf I'm doing with them. My ganja is fine, my peppers and cooking herbs are fine, but my tomatoes are always pissy for some reason.

Compared to ganja, do they need more/less food/water in your experience?

CrushnYuba

QUOTE=bsgospel;8471508]Yeah I think if you stick with the grow more the worst is your salinity goes up a little bit. Urea salt index can be see high as ~75, whereas the blood meal is pretty negligible. Probably why you're able to feed so often. Sticking with the urea may force you to flush a couple more times or just water without feeding here and there. Have you tried the new formulation yet?
Edit: I see you have[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the advice. I am not sure if I tried the new formulation yet. Not sue exactly when they changed it. The stuff i tried that gave me the burn in the heat wave was earth juice sea blast. It's confusing because there are a couple companies using sea in the name for somewhat similar products. Its just a marketing thing.
The salt index is a concern. I usually flush by hand when i have free time like 2x a month. Maybe i can make it more of a priority. Every 4th day run straight water. And every other straight water, go back over it with a hose and flush by hand after the irrigation runs plain water.

Lester beans: just to be clear, the urea I'm talking about is processed synthetic urea. Not piss. Probably the most relevant N source in agriculture at the moment. And poo is possibly the most relevant N source in organics at the moment.
Fancy liquid cannabis specific nutrients like botanicare are just to expensive. I use thousands of gallons of nutrient solution per day. The only way i can afford to keep plants fed is like they do in real agriculture. Organic amendments by the ton, or powdered salts.

CrushnYuba

I may try grow more 20-6-16 "foliage pro". A cheap dry fert knockoff of dyna gro foliage pro. I should be able to get 25lb bags for 40$ ish.

Ammonium Phosphate, Potassium
Phosphate, Potassium Nitrate, Potassium Sulfate, Calcium Nitrate,
Magnesium Nitrate, Boric Acid, Cobalt Sulfate, Ammonium Molybdate,
Iron from Iron Ethylenediaminetetraacetic Acid (EDTA), Zinc from Zinc
EDTA, Copper from Copper EDTA, Manganese from Manganese EDTA.

Itsmychoice

ICMag Donor
I have been having good luck with mega crop. I have used it for a few months and it was recommended by a friend who had done a few full runs. Simple and smells like it works and nothing I have seen is cheaper. Foliage pro was my go to for years.

Andyo

Veteran
Urea /calcium nitrate opposing ph shift

Urea /calcium nitrate opposing ph shift

I'm not looking for organic. Not looking for synthetic. I'm looking for a synthetic that has a good bit of organic N in it and performs allot like an organic.

I definitely don't want to tea. Its to time consuming to make the tea and it can't be ran through fertigation. I don't even use tea in my organic grows anymore really. I have a huge 1000 gallon tea brewer wasting space.

Maybe i should suck it up and use the urea formula.

Many comercial growers use a Calcium nitrate/Urea addition subtraction ladder
When plants take up calcium nitrat it causes PH rise in the root zone when plants take up urea it causes acidity in the root zone its been standard practice in rockwool to do this via an addition subtraction ladder
I use it in hydroton but i found the ballance and just use a specific amount of urea in grow and none in bloom i make nutes for cannabis have done for over 30 years.A

Goats

megacrop is dirt cheap and dead simple. hard to fuck up a 1 part as the gardener. the stuff works just fine too. it is probably what i would suggest to pretty much anyone starting out with non-organic growing.

CrushnYuba

Thanks for the suggestion! I have never heard of mega crop before. It looks pretty decent and with pallet pricing is about the same price as jacks and grow more. One thing i have been noticing, is all these crazy high k formulations. Megacrop is 9-6-17 and it already has calnite and magnite added. Peters and growmore both have a 5-11-26 that with the added calnite has a similar ratio. Im not super hip to synthetic fert developments. What is the GENERAL thoughts on ideal nute ratios? I mean, i know that cannabis can thrive under all sorts of ratios and I'm sure it would do just fine with tons of k with enough ca to support it... But what is ideal for most plants? Really 2x as much k as N? And what for flower?

Goats

Thanks for the suggestion! I have never heard of mega crop before. It looks pretty decent and with pallet pricing is about the same price as jacks and grow more. One thing i have been noticing, is all these crazy high k formulations. Megacrop is 9-6-17 and it already has calnite and magnite added. Peters and growmore both have a 5-11-26 that with the added calnite has a similar ratio. Im not super hip to synthetic fert developments. What is the GENERAL thoughts on ideal nute ratios? I mean, i know that cannabis can thrive under all sorts of ratios and I'm sure it would do just fine with tons of k with enough ca to support it... But what is ideal for most plants? Really 2x as much k as N? And what for flower?

I used jacks in the 3:2:1 ratio for a bit and it produced nice flowers, but they were bland in aroma and taste compared to what i experienced with veg+bloom and my buddy's crop who uses megacrop.

i have stopped using jacks and moved to megacrop because jacks shipping prices are really high to where i live and megacrop uses amazon shipping so it's free and shows up in a day or two.

Malato

3-1-2 during veg 1-3-2 for flower
That's just the ratio I use as a general rule of thumb guessing 30-10-20 is equivalent to the 3-1-2 just using in 1/10 the amount.

CrushnYuba

Goats: i have peters and grow more locally at about 60 a bag. But mega grow seems to have pallets at a decent price.
Malato: i have had really good grows with similar ratios. I'm wondering what is the reason for these high k ratios. I have had good results with 2-1-2 and 1-2-2. But i feel like there is a reason that so many newer formulas and success is at 2-1-4 in veg.

Growmore has a ton of cheap dry formulas in their mendo line with marketed for cannabis.
20-6-16 and 9 -21-12 that mimic dynagro ratios and contains both nitrate and amonical N.
10-7-16 containing all nitrate N that's supposedly ph buffered.
5-11-26 that mimics Jack's
6-30-30, 5-10-40, 5-50-1.
Then there are the formulas with urea

My main question at this point is k level.

Growmore has a ton of cheap dry formulas in their mendo line with marketed for cannabis.
20-6-16 and 9 -21-12 that mimic dynagro ratios and contains both nitrate and amonical N.
10-7-16 containing all nitrate N that's supposedly ph buffered.
5-11-26 that mimics Jack's
6-30-30, 5-10-40, 5-50-1.
Then there are the formulas with urea

My main question at this point is k level.

I'venever looked into Growmore but I use General Hydroponics Maxi series, dry. It's just about $4/lb from Walmart.com for both the 15-5-14 (maxigro) and 5-15-14 (maxibloom) it's got all your bases covered for micros. Free shipping!

55 gallon rez, from eBay I supplement about:
- 1/4 cup Calcium Hydroxide cheap, like $1/lb and dissolves really well
- 1 cup Magensium Sulfate also cheap, like $1/lb or so

Going into week 4+ flower I supplement Monopotassium Phosphate from eBay also forget how much but also cheap.

Don't waste your money on all those watered-down bullsh*t nutrients. They're selling us filtered water and charging us 800% markup on powdered nutrients, the f*cking pirate bastards in these nute companies.

CrushnYuba

Creative process: I'm not considering using any liquid product at all.

Why hasn't anyone answered about K ratios? I keep looking for the answer and can't find it. I'm wondering if the high k ratio is because some people are trying to use a single fertilizer through veg and flower.

Another +1 for megacrop, loving this stuff. They have a cheap sample size. I'm running coco so I still supplement calmag and recharge and run a pk boost and molasses in flower. Great smell and taste, and so much easier and quicker to water.

Latest posts

Latest posts