What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

ph issue?pest?

G

Couple shots of the fuckers...Mostly amber but saw some milky ones,too :p

68fjYQJ.jpg

J7qYAw8.jpg
WPTZrp1.jpg

TanzanianMagic

Veteran
Hi guys,this is a plant in a greenhouse-like room and I'm having issues.This started 10 days ago but I left for a trip and found her this way...

Worst is that this seems to be spreading to other plants ,too...They are in peat/coco/perlite/ewc 18 lt pots.

I have used biobizz and an iguana ,some times have added some cal mag ,too.Have fed with an organic slow release at 1/2 dose before I left.

I also got a few fungus gnats but i think I'll deal with them.Could it be them causing this problem(don't think so myself)?Another pest maybe?Haven't seen anything with the mic...

I had something similar with another plant but it seemed to mellow out after heavy feeding.Took a rough ph runoff sample and read 8 after watering with 7.6...So could it be the ph?
I would say the pH is the first thing to look at, before other environmental variables like temperature, relative humidity, etc.

The pH seems way too high.

Also, why complicate things and add peat and perlite to the coco coir?

Just grow in coco, keep the pH 6.0 throughout the grow, and you'll be OK. You can water/feed less frequently (say, every other day), and at lower concentrations. Less frequent watering also increases the stability of the medium.

--

In nature plants aren't fed by top watering or a drip. They're fed by mycorrhizal fungi taking nutrients from the subsoil and topsoil, and they're watered by water drawn up from the water table and maybe an infrequent rainshower. Or in the case of the tropics, the water table is raised once a year during the monsoon, and then nothing except humidity until the next monsoon.

Moisture is retained in the soil by the micro-climate created by the mulch of plant debris on top of the soil.

G

Hi TM!Sadly the issue is not the ph ,but broad/cyclamen mites.

I don't add peat to my coco,but some coco to my peat for the trichoderma and more aeration.

It is definitely impossible not to water every other day in coco in that particular room,roots would be fried(very high temps).You are absolutely right that more waterings destabilize the medium,but I've found out that they also increased the vigour of my plants (provided they have established a good root system).You just have to ph and feed more often from a point on...

So,the news form the front...I culled 4/12 plants.The rest were heavily pruned cause those buggers munch on new growth tips.

First the insecticidal soap killed a lot but some were still crawling... I have used aspirin in last waterings to battle the mite toxin that causes the deformities.2 days ago I sprayed some revolver (abamectin) and then I'll use one application of oberon (spiromesifen) .Then till the end it's the soap/iso remedy and essential oils only in my arsenal.Planning to harvest at least in two months time. 2 days after abamectin I have observed some leaf damage but no mite alive to be seen.

We'll see how this goes,I don't really get my hopes too high though.

Lost in a SOG

GrassSnakeGenetics
Difficult with mj to ever fully get rid of the buggers isn't it, our environments to get good buds are like mite paradise.

Best of luck battling them back!

Stay vigilant buddy and keep checking them leaves..

G

I forgot to report back!

So yes,broad or cyclamin mites was the problem.After spraying once with abamectin and 4 days later with spiromesifen I had zero problems till the end.

Hope it will help someone! :tiphat: