What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

"The Summer Home" 6000W Perpetual Basement

S

SooperSmurph

It's me again, that annoying chap from the Side by Side forum here to start documenting my perpetual side project @ "The Summer Home", a fully licensed medical grow in Colorado operating using 1/2 of the legal plant count available to my wife and myself.

The strain pictured in the first section of this thread is the Colorado elite cut of Blue Dream, but it has been replaced slowly with other cuts, as of 2015 my main production cuts are Kong and Smurphberry Jam.

If you've checked out my cloning machine side by side trials (all linked in sig), you've seen my EZ Cloner used for propagation here @ "The Summer Home".

The plants are initially placed under 300Ws of 6500k Fluorescent light, in 16oz cups, then are moved under a non-cooled 1000W Metal Halide after being transplanted to 1/2-1 gallon containers. From there they are transplanted into their final 7g containers once they reach a sufficient size.

All stages use Royal Gold Tupur (Coco Fiber, Humbolt Forest Hummus, Perlite, Oyster Shell, Azomite) as a medium, with several amendments for fortification and balance.

I use House & Garden bases and additives, with a few minor tweaks and replacements. Normal strength feeding schedule, 7 day flush.

Each month a different group of plants is harvested, alternating between a two groups, this thread will follow them as time and camera outages allow, usually weekly when things are going well.

Update as of 7/23/2015: This thread has been revived. The grow style is the same, but I grow a variety of strains now, including but not limited to...

5 strains from my own breeding and pollen chucking efforts, Smurphberry Jam or SBJ (Northern Lights x Blueberry SBX2), Durban Berry (Durban Poison x SBJ), Lavender Smurph (Soma's Lavender x SBJ), Smurph's OG (Tahoe OG x SFV OG), and Smurph Fuel (East Coast Sour Diesel x SBJ).

And 8 miscellaneous strains I have acquired from various reliable sources, including Dynamite, Grand Daddy Purple, Princess Pineapple, the ubiquitous Blue Dream, Sour Kush, East Coast Sour Diesel, Kong, and Gorilla Glue.

Since I now run the most reliable cloning service in Colorado, i'm also starting new stuff constantly, next will be BOG's Sour Bubble, Harlequin, 20 year old G-13 x Skunk F2s, and more.

Last edited:
S

SooperSmurph

These shots bring us current with the group we're following, starting with a shot at day 7, just after the true onset of flower.

Day 14

Day 21

Day 28

I'm sure you notice the jump in image quality from week 2 to 3, this is due to a new camera app I downloaded.

We do a 2 stage trim, first "bucking" the large fan leaves off of the plants before cutting them down whole and hanging them upside down for several days. Then, once the edges of these buds are crispy, we bring the harvest down and trim it by hand over a large metal screen, before placing it in paper bags or large rubbermaids (depending on moisture level) for cure.

Last edited:
S

SooperSmurph

From day 28 on we'll be doing closeups of 2 lovely colas, watching them ripen as the wide shot fills in.

I hope you join us next week for day 35, please feel free to ask any questions about my processes, and thank you for stopping by!

whatthe215

Veteran
taggin in, looks good man.

i like that you're gonna be following two specific colas. great idea!

Jhhnn

Veteran
Plants are looking great, but your wiring sure as Hell wouldn't pass inspection...

Just sayin'. You won't regret bringing it up to code, or nearly so.

Blue Dream... Never had the pleasure. So many strains, so little time. Come Jan 1, I'll be retired, free of workplace constraints, and there'll be retail so I can do a lot more testing. I haven't gone medical, haven't seen the need, although I probably qualify.

Are your employers looking to go retail? Just curious, as I drive right by the S Broadway location on my way to work, also past several stinky warehouse grows in the neighborhood just west of there.

S

SooperSmurph

Plants are looking great, but your wiring sure as Hell wouldn't pass inspection...

Just sayin'.
Referring to the bundle of white crap and bare outlet on the top left? All disconnected for that very reason, been having to plug the sprinklers into an extension cord to turn them on, room is never empty long enough to get an electrician down there so that little fire hazard will have to stay unpowered for now.

Last edited:

Jhhnn

Veteran
Referring to the bundle of white crap and bare outlet on the top left? All disconnected for that very reason, been having to plug the sprinklers into an extension cord to turn them on, room is never empty long enough to get an electrician down there so that little fire hazard will have to stay unpowered for now.

Glad to hear it. I figured you were too smart to run something like that, but I had to say something, just so that nobody would think it was OK.

Way too many stories of house fires from grows with shitty wiring.

S

SooperSmurph

Glad to hear it. I figured you were too smart to run something like that, but I had to say something, just so that nobody would think it was OK.

Way too many stories of house fires from grows with shitty wiring.
Thanks for bringing it up, the digital timer plugged into the dead outlet was actually fairly new, and there was 1 last mechanical timer in the other room that needed replacing :tiphat:

S

SooperSmurph

Day 35, things are filling in nicely.

From now on we'll be doing 2 shots of each example cola per update, so as to do 5 images per update post. White patches are in fact PM residue, treated with full strength Green Cure 2 days ago so these leftovers are definitely inactive.

Cola A in profile.
picture.php

Cola A closeup.
picture.php

Cola B in profile.
picture.php

Cola B closeup.
picture.php

30 days till harvest.

RespectGreen

Veteran
youve got some pm popping off dude, best to nip it quick before it spreads even more.... At for flower hit a burner on once for 4-6 hrs and then make your rh as low as u can to stop spreading

Looking happy though, and nice overall!!

S

SooperSmurph

Think we have the same Blue Dream :) It has such a unique smell when it burns. Not the disp cut.
Only dispensary I know of with this specific Blue Dream cut is Rocky Mountain Organic Medicine in Golden.
picture.php

picture.php

Makes the cuts that most dispensaries run look like vaguely sweet ditch weed.