What's new

Marijuana Stock Soars 130% After Study Shows Its Drug Reduced Seizures

R

Robrites

For years GW Pharmaceuticals has looked like one of the only seriously legitimate stocks in the highly hyped so-called pot-stock sector and on Monday the British company gave investors more proof that it was for real.
GW Pharmaceuticals reported that its cannabinoid drug, Epidolex, reduced seizures for children suffering from a rare and debilitating form of epilepsy in a 120-patient trial.
Shares of GW Pharmaceuticals soared on the news, rising 130% to $88.94 on Monday.

In a sea of iffy publicly-traded companies trying to capitalize on changes in state laws allowing the use of marijuana for medical and even recreational purposes, GW Pharmaceuticals has stood out for its serious effort to develop marijuana-derived medicines for numerous diseases. The company has been around for years and is listed on Nasdaq. It has commercialized Sativex for the treatment of symptoms of multiple sclerosis and has four late-stage trials ongoing for severe forms of epilepsy.
GW Pharmaceuticals’ Epidolex drug is being developed to target Dravet syndrome, which is a form of childhood epilepsy that hits before babies reach their first birthday. In the phase III trial reported on Monday, patients receiving Epidolex, a liquid formulation of highly purified CBD extract, experienced a statistically significant median reduction in monthly convulsive seizures of 39% compared with a reduction on placebo of 13%. The company said it will be making further moves to gain FDA approval for Epidolex, which could be the first prescription marijuana drug in the U.S.
“The results of this Epidiolex pivotal trial are important and exciting as they represent the first placebo-controlled evidence to support the safety and efficacy of pharmaceutical cannabidiol in children with Dravet syndrome,” Orrin Devinsky, a doctor at New York University Langone Medical Center’s Comprehensive Epilepsy Center, said in a statement released by GW Pharmaceuticals. “These data demonstrate that Epidiolex delivers clinically important reductions in seizure frequency together with an acceptable safety and tolerability profile.”
http://www.forbes.com/sites/nathanv...shows-its-drug-reduced-seizures/#5f473eeafa57

trichrider

Kiss My Ring
Veteran
"NO ACCEPTED MEDICAL VALUE"....remember?
those Dravits inflicted children will be abusing marijuana! the little dickens.

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
Yeah but can anyone just grow cbd plant for the same purpose?

Can just anyone make cbd oil for use?

Does it need to be pharmaceutical produced to be effective?

Will any of this be legal under their ownership of the drug?

armedoldhippy

Veteran
Yeah but can anyone just grow cbd plant for the same purpose?

Can just anyone make cbd oil for use?

Does it need to be pharmaceutical produced to be effective?

Will any of this be legal under their ownership of the drug?

1- sure, there are already high CBD strains available.
2- no, probably not. but they will do their damn best to convince you otherwise.
3- absolutely. they do not OWN CBD, just their proprietary method of isolating it from the plant material.
of course, i am not a patent law atty, just applying common sense to a problem.

igrowone

Veteran
it will be oh so interesting when the application is made to the fda for approval in the US
this is an extraction of marijuana, obviously the most heinous plant in the universe
can it be approved? the marinol crap is synthetic, different doorway on that one
but approval might completely destroy the legal basis for cannabis prohibition?

GrowerGoneWild

Veteran
Im not too happy with the cannabis related stocks I own, they are not any good. They are "iffy" at best. They are pumped and dumped all the time. For no good reason they rise and fall even without a good news day.

Im sure GW Pharm has its own formulation. But there's plenty of CBD formulations and i'm sure a generic version will arise.

If raised that much already, prob the boat is missed. You gotta have a feel for a pump before it happens. Too many plenty of times I bought after the candle stick shot up green, then it goes down and you holding a bag. lol I learned my lesson, I only buy now when it going down. So I put the buy order in and wait on a GTC order, sometimes takes weeks before I get, but I never lost money doing it this way.

Tynehead Tom

it will be oh so interesting when the application is made to the fda for approval in the US
this is an extraction of marijuana, obviously the most heinous plant in the universe
can it be approved? the marinol crap is synthetic, different doorway on that one
but approval might completely destroy the legal basis for cannabis prohibition?

all kinds of pharmaceuticals used thru history are derived from "drug" plants. opium is still illegal here but I can get prescribed pharmaceuticals that are derived from it.

based on that I see zero reasons for a trial tested derivative of cannabis to encounter any real hurdles just because it comes from a "drug" plant.

I am not a fan of big pharmacy putting copyrights and trademarks and patents on cannabis or it's derivatives. I believe in freeing the plant and self medicating, but if this helps kids in a real way, then I suppose those folks are doing a good thing, even if they will be lining their pockets at the same time LOL
I'm just bitter, I shoulda bought shares hahaha

igrowone

Veteran
all kinds of pharmaceuticals used thru history are derived from "drug" plants. opium is still illegal here but I can get prescribed pharmaceuticals that are derived from it.

based on that I see zero reasons for a trial tested derivative of cannabis to encounter any real hurdles just because it comes from a "drug" plant.

I am not a fan of big pharmacy putting copyrights and trademarks and patents on cannabis or it's derivatives. I believe in freeing the plant and self medicating, but if this helps kids in a real way, then I suppose those folks are doing a good thing, even if they will be lining their pockets at the same time LOL
I'm just bitter, I shoulda bought shares hahaha

true, but cannabis is on schedule 1, opium is not
and schedule 1 means no accepted medical use

Skip

Veteran
You mean they're gonna push marijuana on little babies?

Oh, for hemp's sake!

What'll be next?

Cannabis for ADHD for kids instead of Adderall?

How are those poor Pharma companies pushing speed ever gonna survive?

Decisions, decisions....

big-pharma.jpg

Skip

Veteran
That's a pretty optimistic forecast, robrites.

I guess it assumes full legalization on the Federal level.

What's your source for that graph?

Betterhaff

Veteran
I saw an interview the other day, can’t remember from where, but it was said that for every dollar spent on pot three more would be spent on auxiliaries…smoking devices, food, etc. etc.

R

Robrites

That's a pretty optimistic forecast, robrites.

I guess it assumes full legalization on the Federal level.

What's your source for that graph?
I read so much I can't remember but think it was on a couple of sites. If I run across it again I will edit the post.

R

Robrites

How to Invest in Marijuana Legalization

How to Invest in Marijuana Legalization

DENVER — In a nondescript industrial park in this city's Montbello neighborhood, employees at Medicine Man Production are hard at work harvesting marijuana.

Wearing navy blue scrubs under bright industrial lights, workers toil in 40,000 feet of cultivation space, picking through mature plants with fuzzy flowers so large their stems double over with the weight. After harvesting, the flowers are dried, processed, packaged and sold for as much as $330 per ounce.

It's that profit, as well as the growing legalization of marijuana for recreational use, that has caused Medicine Man and other marijuana cultivation facilities and retail shops to spring up in this Denver neighborhood – so much so, in fact, that residents often refer to the area as "Potbello."

"The canopy is where the money is," says Brett Roper, founder and CEO of Medicine Man Technologies, which started trading publicly this year on the over-the-counter market as a cannabis-industry consulting business.

Marijuana is a profitable business but comes with tight regulations as state governments legalize the industry. Medicine Man Production is privately held, but some of its owners also own a minority position of the publicly traded Medicine Man Technologies. Medicine Man Technologies earns profit by selling equipment designs and working with marijuana growers, but it doesn't touch or sell the plants – that's the role of Medicine Man Production.

The complex nature of this budding industry – legalized by some states but not the federal government – adds business and political complications to the space that's arguably one of the riskiest in the world for investors.

"There is a tremendous amount of homework to do," says Morgan Paxhia, co-founder and managing director at cannabis hedge fund Poseidon Asset Management. "But, at the same time, we don't want to turn people off from something that could be a huge winner. There's no other marketplace that's offering this much growth in the world."

Retail sales of legal marijuana in the United States rose from $3.4 billion in 2014 to $4.8 billion last year, says Matt Karnes, founder of cannabis industry financial analysis and research firm GreenWave Advisors. Based on the anticipated trajectory of legalization, the firm expects that figure could hit $25 billion by 2020.

Medicine Man Technologies is one of dozens of public marijuana-related companies. In the U.S., most of them are ancillary businesses – social media, lighting, consulting, facility development and delivery and security services. One exception is California-based Terra Tech, whose shares got the Security and Exchange Commission's blessing to trade despite its plans to grow and sell marijuana.

Most public marijuana companies trade in the over-the-counter markets, which are less liquid, transparent and regulated than large markets such as the Nasdaq composite. Many went public through a process called reverse mergers and make heavy use of convertible debt, both of which can lead to shareholder dilution. The industry also doesn't have widespread access to the U.S. banking system and faces restrictions on advertising. The SEC has warned investors about potential fraud in the industry.

"If you're talking about public companies, buyer beware," Roper says. "Never invest more than you can afford to lose."

Read More http://money.usnews.com/investing/articles/2016-03-17/how-to-invest-in-marijuana-legalization

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
http://www.naturalnews.com/053369_CBD_hemp_oil_extract_FDA_regulations.html

HEALTH FREEDOM ALERT: The FDA just outlawed CBDs and hemp oil extracts by claiming all plant molecules now belong exclusively to Big Pharma

http://www.fda.gov/NewsEvents/PublicHealthFocus/ucm421168.htm#dietarysuppl

now search the web for rob clarke talking about how all cannabis plant samples should be sent it and cannabinoids discovered for the purpose pf keeping it out of big pharmas hands

ironic since he has ties to gwpharma

seems to me it is simple posturing to get exclusive pharmaceutical rights for big pharma and no one else

Latest posts

Latest posts