What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

what were bongs like way back when?

JVonChron

I have seen head shops get a cheap gold fish and put it in a bowl with a sign above/behind it that says "bong". then if you do go in there and say something like "hey lemmie see that bong" they reply "oh you mean our goldfish, its name is bong"

Grafix if I,m spelling it right was the cadilac of bongs in my day and that was 30 + years ago ,the next best thing was the ceramic skull or reaper ones,and lets not forget the 2 foot cobra with the bowl hidden under the coil.LOL.Thanks for the memories.

Man, I hadn't thought about Grafix bongs in years!

supermanlives

Veteran
never mind the bongs I miss my beltbuckle bowl....now that med mj is legal I wouldn't mind getting one again if I could find one. there was weed leaf in backround and detaching bowl in middle

Last edited:

McKush

Éirinn go Brách
ICMag Donor
Veteran
We made them ourselves mostly. Going to a Karma or record store/head shop was usually not an option as they were not many around. My bro and I would use my dad's lathe and fashion them out of aluminum stock.. hehe put snow in an aluminum bong and that bong gets cold.. hehe

DIY clay bongs were popular. I have a yearbook from the early/mid seventies with a picture of one of the highschool super-heads making a clay bong. This made it into the yearbook with a caption something like;

"name" works on his creation called "The Ancient Bong"

hehe we rolled on the floor that the picture actually made it into the yearbook and none of the school teachers caught it.

seriously back in the day it was a lot of DIY. and yeah, I'm sure we got some supplies from the school science department

Dawn Patrol

Well this is some bullshit right here.....
Veteran
seriously back in the day it was a lot of DIY. and yeah, I'm sure we got some supplies from the school science department

Still do DIY, I've made way more than I've ever bought. I don't have a school science department to loot anymore but Home Depot fills the bill fairly well. I loaded up on cheap aluminum one hit bowls a couple years ago but everything else is DIY and proud of it!

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Coring out an apple...tasty!! After smoking, remove the residue and chomp it!! Mmmm! Recall smoking hash that way on a 11,000+ foot peak...struggling with a back pack....some walkers had a mule with their gear on the pack mule. They stopped to talk to us....offered the apple hash device!! Made our day!!!

Garhart

Good design is timeless. Saw my first in 67, and have one here with me now. Basically they are the same. This one is a little shorter, but now I don't have as much hair or air, so it works.

Vash

Ol' Skool
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I haven't read through the whole thread, so this could be repetitious. Anyway, I made my own out of bamboo. The only thing, though, if you didn't soak it in linseed oil, it would start to crack on you after some use. I made short ones about 12 inches. Damn, those were the good days.

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
I haven't read through the whole thread, so this could be repetitious. Anyway, I made my own out of bamboo. The only thing, though, if you didn't soak it in linseed oil, it would start to crack on you after some use. I made short ones about 12 inches. Damn, those were the good days.

Look at post #131 on page 9 of this thread.. It's made of bamboo, but it's a little bigger than 12 inches....
Yeah, those WERE the good old days..

TOBY KEEF

I used to use a can, or when I was a kid I'd get a toilet paper insert, The cardboard tube and cut a hole in the top. I'd make a tin foil bowl and rubberband gauze around the end.

TOBY KEEF

I also have one an old Ivory Merchaund? s/p? Ivory pipe from the late sixties somewhere in a box where old people put stuff and forget about.

2 Legal Co

Veteran
Meerschaum. I still have mine but it's only seen pipe tobacco.

lol Now that IS a shame.

Used to have a Meerschaum pipe, (never saw tobacco), but don't remember where/who got it. But it's gone. Not a Bong but a really nice pipe.

Meerschaum is a most lovely pipestone,,,, getting better with age and use.

kiobe

We made more than a few bongs from Bamboo sections and for the bowl/stem, from various parts from stuff found in the garage. [1972-1978]

Making an emergency bong with an eggplant [sorry mom, I knew that was for dinner] Christmas of 74'

kiobe

lol Now that IS a shame.

Used to have a Meerschaum pipe, (never saw tobacco), but don't remember where/who got it. But it's gone. Not a Bong but a really nice pipe.

Meerschaum is a most lovely pipestone,,,, getting better with age and use.

Buying a quality meerschaum pipe was a goal for me as a teen. The longer you owned/used them the more beautiful they became.