What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

WOW! Man busted but cops only take extra plants

Maj.Cottonmouth

We are Farmers
Veteran
http://www.kptv.com/story/15033101/pot-plants-seized-in-sandy

SANDY, Ore. -

A Sandy man is in trouble for having too many pot plants.

Jay Raven has an Oregon Medical Marijuana card but police say he had 42 more mature plants than he is allowed.

Fire crews reported what appears to be a grow operation Monday morning after they responded to a fire at Raven's home on Langensand Road.

Police seized the extra plants and allowed Raven to keep the rest.

------

That is entire article. I am just amazed they let him keep his legal number. I wonder if they will prosecute for the overage, I hope they don't but I still think he is an idiot.

MIway

Veteran
truth be told... this is relatively common in medical States... I personally know of this happening in both CO & MI.

not all the leo's are down with being stormtroopers.

GanjaPharma

thats how they roll in WA too, .....depending on the county :(

where i am at, anything under 50 plants and they will just take the extras.
with the new fucked up law though the # is gonna be 45 plants and 72oz for a collective garden of 3 patients.

dagnabit

Game Bred
Veteran
truth be told... this is relatively common in medical States... I personally know of this happening in both CO & MI.

not all the leo's are down with being stormtroopers.
happened ALOT in MI
except in oakland CO...
nazis over there!!!

MIway

Veteran
Maybe I should elaborate, as there seems to be some speculation... ;-)

City of Boulder is very progressive... and Boulder County is the 'best' to be in for leniency... two people that I know very well had a personal garden in their townhome complex. They are both legally registered & within limits of the law for plant counts. Got a complaint against them & a narcotics team visited them... and both were under cover narc's. They came in, took a look at the paperwork, took a look at the garden, payed them some compliments, were very polite & left... and that's the end of it.

Here is another one, from a person that I've only recently met up in these parts... and of all places Oakland County... where he had a personal grow & was at 12 plants... they came in & just did a plant count & left... no smash & grabs, which is an apparent change from the reputation of the Oakland Sheriff's office. Is the one true? I don't know these cats as well as my friends in Boulder, but they don't seem to be telling a story here. If this one is true, then it at least indicates there might be a change in aggressiveness in this neck of the woods, which would be very warmly received. I just don't know about this latter source... and it is contradictory of the rep in that area.

I have other stories about CO... it is crazy to think that cops actually don't care that much about persecuting weed growers, but it does seem possible to coexist amicably. The ones that I have (recently) interacted with, are pretty damn open to the whole idea... but these are certainly the minority over all. Can not disagree that the majority of pigs are still very hostile... and appropriately held as the 'enemy'.

Hope I didn't ruffle too many feathers. Peace all.

EDIT... I would like to add another that is more appropriate... in Aurora, CO... not a place known to be friendly overall... guy I personally knew had himself & 3 patients registered... but devoted all the plants to flower, not a mix of veg/flower... they didn't care, they just wanted to know that his total plant counts were in order. Here's the kicker... they came at the call of his neighbor for odor issues, and when they came, he didn't answer the door knock. They left their card with a request to call back (the truth). He did so after much hesitation. They made an appointment to come visit the next day at 3pm... yes, an appointment. He moved his plants the night before such that all would be in order... the came & had a really lax attitude, joked with him & expressed the plant count is only for flowering, or whichever, they didn't care but the total numbers... and were really looking for those not registered or those way in excess. But come on... to give a days notice for an appointment? For real.

Goes to show the old advice of not answering the door is solid.

Did they let him choose which plants they took?
Excellent question, I have not been able to find any more info yet but if I do I will post it here.

This is what happened to me on that...

El Paso County CO (colorado springs)... I got a knock and talk over a suspected weed grow, because sheriff had responded two weeks earlier to an accident on my property. One of the kids got hurt playing and had to go to the hospital. It was investigated as child abuse, which it never was and that was over.

It got their proverbial foot in the door with the weed stuff... When I got to the hospital, following the ambulance, i was not able to see or hold him (toddler) until i was questioned extensively on the matter of the suspected weed grow. remain silent

Knock and talk 2 weeks later. brandished paper work for 5 patients and self. They asked to see grow, I asked for warrant. They didnt have one so I did not let them.

Came back 2 weeks later with warrant. When I was asked to leave the house so they can secure it, I ask to see the search warrant. Was handcuffed for "not cooperating". bullshit i was handcuffed for trying to exercise my rights.

they search, find 19 plants (im allowed 36)... look at my paper work says none of it is valid excpet one card (not even my card).

SOOOO. they take 13 plants, and leave 6... They take all the weed in the house (did not leave me the 2 oz for the one "valid" card).

They made me sign a piece of paper that said that they took 13 and were leaving me with the six of my choosing, and that they did so in a courteous and respectful way... MY ASS!?

I NEVER GOT TO CHOOSE WHICH SIX TO KEEP, NOT WHILE HANDCUFFED. and it cost me, i didnt get to keep the best 6... but they were only in 1gallons in veg (they came at the right time) they made me sign that i did though. I did because i knew what was happening.

They told me i would be charged for cultivation for the other 13 (that i was allowed to have, and was under my limit by 17). took my scale.

They left and i never heard from them again.

Fighting to get my shit back (1/2 lb, scale, books, pipe) would cost more in legal / lawyer than its worth... and they know that.

I was robbed, not charged, by the police. Which i GUESS is okay... because I was not charged. My paperwork is in order. I pay a lawyer for it to be that way...

AND... in a medical state, they DID only take what they perceived was the legal amount, and DID leave me with plants.

AFTER WHICH IM BAFFLED THAT THEY DID NOT LEAVE ME THE 2 oz OF PROCESSED THAT WENT WITH THOSE PLANTS...

THEY ARE THIEVES AND BULLIES. and they know you are not coming to fight for your half pound and digital scale. My patients could have used it (given to them for free).

Manitoid

BillHicksLives

living quite literally down the road from this town. i can vouch that this is more country than progressive, but still Oregon has its perks. they usually just take the biggest, as those are usually the numbers that are over the limit. They catch you with your tail between your legs, you lie down and they make themselves feel better. compliance checks are uncommon around here and usually only done if a complaint is made ahead of time.

nattynattygurrl

Natalie J. Puffington
Veteran
Wow, really messed up what happened to you Manitoid's Ghost. :mad:

There is def. seem to be some less-friendly territory in Colorado...This seems to be particularly true in the more conservative parts of the state; where people seem to feel as though they are being "dragged along" with the more liberal parts of the state, with regard to Medical MJ...Namely: CO Springs and Grand Junction/Mesa County.

I'm just thinking aloud here; but maybe, if we framed this more as a "states rights" issue, we'd get more support from conservatives? :chin:
If they, (many of whom claim to be "libertarians"), looked at it like: "today it's our plants and medicine; but tomorrow, it might be their guns", perhaps we would get more of their support?? :dunno:

Anyways, please, try to stay safe everyone!! :grouphug:

Wow, really messed up what happened to you Manitoid's Ghost. :mad:

There is def. seem to be some less-friendly territory in Colorado...This seems to be particularly true in the more conservative parts of the state; where people seem to feel as though they are being "dragged along" with the more liberal parts of the state, with regard to Medical MJ...Namely: CO Springs and Grand Junction/Mesa County.

I'm just thinking aloud here; but maybe, if we framed this more as a "states rights" issue, we'd get more support from conservatives? :chin:
If they, (many of whom claim to be "libertarians"), looked at it like: "today it's our plants and medicine; but tomorrow, it might be their guns", perhaps we would get more of their support?? :dunno:

Anyways, please, try to stay safe everyone!! :grouphug:

just do not take your attorneys, friends, other caregivers words for you safety... Seems like the sheriff is out to get ya! They were around before it was legal, and maybe they dont like all the sanctioned grows... whatever it is, know that even if you are medical, they are not here to protect you...

S

snoopytime

There should be a sticky thread for cool\not cool counties with real experiences posted so people can get an idea of what the waters are like where they live. I personally had US Marshalls storm my house with weapons drawn lookin for my GF's ex, they got my address when she changed her drivers license to here when she moved in. They thought 'the guy' was in my locked grow closet rofl. They're like 'whats in there? is he in there? what the FUCKS IN THERE!?!?!??!" I said open it . . no people in there . . they're like . . "oh its *only* a grow room. How much is your electric bill"? me: $200 . . wanna see my prescripton"? them: "no . . were here for bodies, not weed. sorry for the inconvenience. we thought he was here". Me: "Yeah I always let my gf's abscounding ex's move in too to watch me fuck her". THat was almost a year ago, not a peep since.

Bullfrog44

Veteran
I got caught in Cali growing 12 indoor plants and 20 outdoor plants. Cops didn't take anything and asked me to take down the indoor. I promptly threw the 12 small indoor plants away and finished a fairly major outdoor harvest. This is in San Mateo, a city of 100,000.