What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

New to grow, need help? & feeding UK outdoor

Newtogrow

Hoping for some help, from this amazing community, I'm currently on a bit of a budget, and unfortunately I don't have a light setup, so I have germinated my auto seeds and placed them in small pots (compost, topsoil, perlite) and I have placed them in the window Sunny side, the room gets a lot of heat most of the time there 2 days old and there working, Just started to push their way to the top,
So.. the plan is when they're a week/half, 2 weeks old they're going outside.

The out side area

the outside area has good soil, the ground was full of light moss with brambles some worms, could squeeze into a ball or crumble, I turned over the ground broke down the soil, then an added fishbone fertilizer compost topsoil perlite,
the area gets around 8- 10 hours of facing sun, to the sun rise.

Any tips on when you should start feeding your plants I have liquid seaweed concentrate, how much should I use and when? Or if I should even use it?, I don't have any feeders yet but I was thinking to just grab any fruit or vegetables feeder, from the shop, always looking to improve learning evolving, I will upload some photos soon, thank you

J

jaded1

You will prob need some kind of light for the 1st few weeks or will get very stretched out seedlings from them trying to search for light,especially as weather is cold and grey and looking to stay that way for the next week at least.
Those 1st few weeks of life are very important with auto's and making sure they have optimal conditions will be vital to getting decent flowers from them

J

jaded1

You don't need a big light but a 20/30w led and an e27 plug will help,also a small fan to help toughen them up before being left to the elements outside,They really need 20hrs of light every day before they go out to get some size to them

Newtogrow

25W E27 LED Corn Bulb Light, Wenscha 220W G80 Equivalent 6000K Daylight White, 2500 Lumen Super Bright for Indoor

Newtogrow

Or would a Low Voltage GLS 25w E27/ES 48/50v Pearl/Frosted Light Bulb
Low Voltage GLS 25w E27/ES 48/50v Pearl/Frosted Light Bulb be sound ??

troutman

Seed Whore
The light alone will be good enough. :tiphat:

One tip I'll give you to use when you come to transplant outdoors is place the pots is a semi-shaded area
for a few days to let the seedlings adjust. Under a tree is good enough. I find plants do better this way
than being planted directly in the sun on the 1st day. No light is as bright as the sun and this method
cuts down on seedlings burning up.

troutman

Seed Whore
A light setup would help them get started.

Even a simple fluorescent light will do if you only plan to grow them for a few weeks indoors.

Newtogrow

On tips on the seaweed concentrate if and when I should use it? And I was just looking to buy an feeder from the shop any fruit or veg feeder ?

troutman

Seed Whore
In good soil in solo cups I don't feed seedling until they grow their 3rd set of real leaves.

Don't feed for a week after transplanting.

I'm sure your nutrients came with instructions as well. :tiphat:

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
The seaweed isn't a feed as such, but more of a supplement. Get it in the ground now. The micro-life will like it.

Pearlite in the ground? It's really for containers. If they don't drain well.

I have tried a few corn lamps. Each leading to a refund. You have to really spend to get a good one. People are advising you to use a lamp like hangs from the ceiling. Perhaps mounted in a bedside light or some sort of angle poise.

On the window, you can about double your light with a reflective surface, presuming that won't look odd.

The 23rd of may is traditionally planting time in the UK, as it's the last frost. It's very slow going though, as the ground temperatures are very low, not just the weather in general. Weed control material from the pound shop will both keep down competitors, and help warm the ground. Like giving the ground a shallow black greenhouse. Better still though, add an actual greenhouse. A clotch? or cold frame, or cupboard size polythene greenhouse will give you a much better chance.

You should really think about them 14w led lamps that are 100w equivalents. A twin pack is £6 in asda. Use your daylight on the warm windowsill and some supplemental light from them lamps. If your sure nobody will see. Outdoors in may, and even june, not a lot happens.

Newtogrow

Thank you, all so much for your feedback 🙌 I do really appreciate that, much love I'm always looking to improve, and I'm sure there will be mistakes on the way.
I guess it's them mistakes you learn from, really great community, I've been here days and I have already learnt so much I'll keep you all posted ♥️

Newtogrow

UPDATE 5-7days help?
Hate to ask and no worries if you have no ideas, I placed them in pots in the window, and they look great growing fast, and I moved some under a 25w, led e27 about a 1ft away and the movement is very little. So now I'm using a 60w led, ?please remember I'm on a budget, and I will invest in the future. The light cycle I'm using is 7am to 1am 17 hours of light

THE AREA
the closet about 5 ft high and about 4 ft wide, I have lined the walls about 2ft high all the way around with aluminium foil, and placed a box in the middle and lined the faceing side to keep the warm. And make the area smaller . Many thank, and bless of luck either way:tiphat: