What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Maximize yield for a 12 plant recreational grow

Hey everyone,

My state just passed a law that allows us to grow up to 12 plants per household. I am looking for advice on the best way to maximize yield with outdoor plants this upcoming season.

I'm not exactly sure on the details of the law, but I know outdoor plants are allowed as long as they are not visible from off your property. I have a fenced in area that would be perfect so that shouldn't be an issue.

One thought was to build a manual, light dep, hoop house and try to get two harvests instead of just one, but not sure if it is worth it. Average first and last frost dates are from 4/29 to 9/29, I think that's about 5 months. I could veg the plants indoors so when they go into the hoop house they are already good sized.

The other, simpler option, is to try to get the plants really big indoors and then put them outside, let them grow into 12 monster plants. Was thinking it might be worth using a hoop house and leave the plastic off most of the time but have the option to pull it over if it rains towards the end of flower.

What you guys think? Would love some suggestions or advice. Never had the opportunity to grow in the open sun like this. Pretty excited that it actually became a reality.
Thanks

Limeygreen

Veteran
Try to stagger them in my opinion, so you only have 1-2 months inbetween harvests, do you prefer indica or sativa or like them both? I would say if you can finish the sativas in july or august you would be rocking, indicas as well. Do you deal with high humidities in summer time or fairly dry? I'm guessing based on your numbers that you cab experience humid and warm/ or cold autums end of summers so it would be good to be out by September if you're depping.

Thanks for the replies you guys.

Limeygreen, I'm into both sativas and indicas. Was thinking about more indica dominant hybrids, but I'm wondering if I end up growing full size long season plants, would a sativa dominant get much larger and yield more in the end?

I do have humid weather in the summer and September sometimes lots of cold rainy weather.

I need to find out what varieties are best for my climate. I have a cut of The Freeze, a strain that has grown outside on the east coast for some time. I'm hoping to have good luck with it.

Noonin NorCal, definitely going to trellis them. In the past, I had a couple monsters snap right in half. Rotted out before i could get to it.

DuskrayTroubador, I'm in MA. Never thought it would happen in this state

Limeygreen

Veteran
Sativa or indica doesn't matter for yield, depends on how big the plants are, I recommend training/pruning to get smaller heads on indicas to not have fat dense buds (they should stil be dense but less diameter and dry up faster when it's humid) fim, canopy thinning of leaves for airflow, good air movement, multiple bud sites and not too dense all around. Some people in commercial operations in greenhouse experience botrytis in summers/falls with the indicas due to dense buds and them being too thick making moisture the biggest problem, if you can solve swings in humidity and keep it low enough during flower you should be fine as long as you have mildew, botrytis is everywhere and late summer early fall there are tons of spores going around, differences and swings in humidity will cause them to germinate and sporulate so careful in this aspect.

sprinkl

Veteran
Plant around march 21st or later so it doesn't flower early, but early enough to get big.
Dig a big hole with good soil.

I wanted to grow a big plant in my 2x3m, 2m high greenhouse so I pulled down the main stem with ropes as it was growing and then supercropped the side branches so they didn't grow too high, which also made them branch out more. Worked very well, yielded me a stash for a few years, stayed within my legal plant count and none of my neighbours saw it - they probably smelled it though hehe

picture.php

Bongstar420

Just be a good little capitalist. Give your money to this rich guy, the owner of advanced nutrients. His super awesome genius will lay it down. Pay to play is the way to win. Up to 3lbs per 1000w. I don't know why people demand outdoor product. Cheap I guess. I rarely see outdoor that impresses me. If it were good though, I would still demand it dirt cheap- no electric or building costs by comparison in addition to the equip. Heck, outdoor is still over priced at less than 50% of indoor.

www.thestranger.com/slog/2016/07/01/24286666/prohibited-pesticides-found-in-commonly-used-pot-growing-products

Anyways, I didn't buy it. But I bet its just lots of training with CO2 and some "secret nutrients" (probably have hormones they won't tell you about) they want you to buy. Oh, and you have to have the best yielding cut available which most are not..

I was extremely underwhelmed with Cervantes and wished I could get a refund. Still have the book taking up space. The only real useful parts were the lumen and NPK ppm charts which can be freely Googled.

Latest posts

Latest posts