What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

[Tri-Hybrid F1 crossings] General experiences in the consistency of this cross

CannaZen

Greetings everyone, I'd like to hear about your experience in selective breeding in practice in what may result from this sort of cross breeding for the traits commonly found in the 3 parental plants of occasion.

examples
Ruderalis Indica male (Autoflower F9 Hybrid)
leb CBD (hashplant cultivar)
T#1 (african cultivar)

F1 Hybrid
leb CBD x Ruderalis Indica
Ruderalis Indica X T#1
Lebanese x T#1

P1 (leb CBD x Ruderalis Indica) x (Ruderalis Indica x T#1)
P2 (leb CBD x T#1) x (leb CBD x Ruderalis Indica)

I'm trying to form a better understanding of how common uniform characteristics found within and between each of the parents may become mixed together.

Last edited:

CannaZen

Can somebody tell me what the ratio would consist of between each original parent within the example P1 F1 x P2 F1 crossing?

Last edited:

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Nope.
Nobody can tell you a thing based on these hypothetical crosses.

Math helps you to guide your selections but it really isn't relevant to real world cannabis breeding at this point in time. This is simply due to the amount of diversity present in in the genepools of the varieties available today.

Cuzin_Dave

This kind of cross is so complex and if a person is working with very finite growing population the odds of finding something you could stablise are pretty small.

CannaZen

I'm afraid this is still very vague for me, i do not understand how genetics combine but i was hoping to learn from this example, MJP.
I'm wondering if characteristics that had been very uniform and common to both sides of the parental crossings may show up in the offspring? in example the compact size of a squat & stout indica combined with a dwarf autoflower will typically produce small sized plants unless genes for larger size were previously hidden, correct?

I understand that it is not presently realistic to have fields and fields required for the follow-up of selections for the stabilization of multiple desired traits into one.

To be clear, I'm interested in a deeply broad and vigorous genetic base but with certain common characteristics presently uniform. It may take further generations of inbreeding and variably it may just be a mutt but will it not become a stabilized mutt, limited to as such by the size of the generational selections taking place?

Do you understand what i am getting at? They are only 3 distinct varietals, two of them may already have compact genes stabilized on both sides of the lines though dwarfing of the autoflower may just be a result thereof. I've heard that depending on the parental source autoflower genetics may become apparent at F3 although i do not know the process of stabilization for that sort of trait, the example in the first post reflects this especially as breeding can be very time consuming.

Alternatively, how can one reasonably go about creating a base for subsequent selection with this in mind, what are the boundaries? This is not strictly from within the basement and small size with early finish times likely may mean greater generational sizes and less time expenditure. It may even be possible (carefully) for natural selection to gradually find the autoflower genetics through earlier finishing times should it be present.
Thank you. :bow:

Last edited:

TrillOG

yes, and yes..
unless you are in one of the legal states.. please don't grow a whole field of weed..
im 100% sure there will be variation, depending on what is hidden in the genes of the parent will determine the frequency, and variables themselves...
yes, you can breed them down the minimal, or expected parameters.
I thought that was only the case when you use the male to pollenate vs pollenating a female auto??
I tried to answer all the questions as I best I could, but it isn't from experience as ive never grown autos.. but ive been reading up, kind of been flirting with the idea of maybe doing something with autos, just haven't pulled the trigger yet...

Bongstar420

It depends on the phenotypes of the parents, whether they are predominately heterozygous or homozygous. Many traits have more than two genes involved.

For your example, you would have to state the traits selected for and it would be best if you F2 you parents and document the trait distribution there. From that, you would seelect several tester parents matching your desires and multiple test crosses with the other line. Out of 10-20 test crosses, you might get 1 that will produce the outcome you desire with low variability.

From the looks of it, it appears as though you are trying to up the yield on some CBD stock, produce early the harvest, and increase resin content. This will be very complicated as CBD has about 10 different modifier genes but is otherwise predominately codominant. You will also likely see a spread of 4-8 different harvest intervals. The resin output range will be significant.

The broad "genetic base" does not exist in a stable cultivar. Calling it a mutt won't change that.

I would recommend not worrying about the math. Do your crosses and pick what you want. When its time to stabilize, inbreed and throw away a lot of weak performers. Many of the Cannabis Communities "winners" were just luck of the draw and straight dumb picking what you like.

Greetings everyone, I'd like to hear about your experience in selective breeding in practice in what may result from this sort of cross breeding for the traits commonly found in the 3 parental plants of occasion.

examples
Ruderalis Indica male (Autoflower F9 Hybrid)
leb CBD (hashplant cultivar)
T#1 (african cultivar)

F1 Hybrid
leb CBD x Ruderalis Indica
Ruderalis Indica X T#1
Lebanese x T#1

P1 (leb CBD x Ruderalis Indica) x (Ruderalis Indica x T#1)
P2 (leb CBD x T#1) x (leb CBD x Ruderalis Indica)

I'm trying to form a better understanding of how common uniform characteristics found within and between each of the parents may become mixed together.