What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Guide for Insects and Pest Prevention

bongman1221

anyone know how to kill or remove grasshoppers there just green and smarl like half an inch but there eating everything HELP

NorthWestMed

Respect to Sativa 420 and BackCountry. The part of the Northwest i grow in is very similar to the region you described. I learned alot from this thread, will countinue to peak in.

I

icon

i been using a guano mix to keep bugs including grasshoppers & animals away for a few years & i get about a 90% success rate i mix a fairly high dose of bat guano in a gallon of water & let it sit for about a week when i open the lid & take a whif & it smells like raw sewage its ready. i filter it out really well & spray my plants very well a few times a week & stop about a month from harvest. the plants love the extra nutrients & there are little amount of bugs on the plants. i also spray other plants that surround mine.the plants use up the nutrients prior to harvest & there is absolutley no sewage/guano smell or taste.

its also helps not to have any branches touching your plants & sometimes i'll sprinkle a line of salt around my pots because snails & slugs will not travel over the salt "they do they'll die" dont use this method if your plants are the ground "you do plants die"

Re: Deer, my biggest enemy. For the edible and smokeable parts of my garden I use electric fence. 1 strand at waistheight is enough for Bambi and her pals to look elsewhere for an easy meal. She could jump it if she was interested, but where I am she'll just go away. Total cost new for a fencer, insulators and wire is maybe $75. I use a timer and only run at night as deer are mostly nocturnal. A second higher strand would add about a dollar.
Early on the chemical Thiram sold commercially as Spotrete F was mentioned. The reference quoted was way out of context, Thiram is only labeled as a turf fungicide and a deer repellent on christmas trees, it is very long lasting and not to be used anywhere close to human consumables. Directions mandate protective clothing, eyewear, and respirators. Don't use this poison, it is a poison, on anything someone is going to ingest.

luciano28

Hey Im just posting this for any n00bs that dont know what it looks like. This is Deer poop!! If you see little piles of this, you know deer hang out in that area.

36756P4150391-med.JPG

Nice thread Pure!

When I have planted in pots dug in very close to the water, my biggest problem has been muskrats. They use young plants to make their dens. I even put chicken wire around one and they ripped it up and stole the plant. Now I never plant right on the water edge if I know there are muskrats in the lake.

My other problem that occasionally happens just before harvest time around the end of September, Corn Bores attack from inside the stem. They can ruin a monster plant in very little time very late in the season, the limbs just start dieing and falling down. When you dry it out you find these little whitish orange worms inside the buds. They smoke up OK but make you harvest the girl about two weeks before its realy ready. This drastically reduces the yield. Also bag appeal is reduced, after all who wants to see worms in their stash?

If anybody has solutions for either problem I thank you, I'll be checking for any updates.

Thanks,
Nickel

H

Huey69

I'm not exactly sure what kind of pests I'm messing with right now, so hopefully someone can help. Whenever I pick up my smallers clones(6 plants in 4" pots), I notice underneath little white/clearish and orangeish bugs. They like to hangout on the bottom of my pots. I havn't noticed any on the plants themselves though. Any ideas?

Also, I've noticed a few white fly's here and there...should I be worried about them?

tokinjoe

Huey, is it possible to take pictures of these bugs? I do know that termites will den up in pots or containers. I've had that happen to me before. The workers are whitish in color and usually disappear into the pot as it is lifted, or into the ground. Can you tell if the insects are also burrowing into the ground under the pots?

tokinjoe

BACKCOUNTRY, kudo's on the deer prevention post here bro. By far they are my biggest enemy. I think I posted it up in one of Silverback's threads but in '06 I had a white widow in full bloom that was heavily munched by a deer. Actually two of them but I only can find pics of one. I'm not exaggerating either, the deer ate buds loaded with trichs. Check out the lower branches, or what's left of them in the picture below. No doubt if at all possible using chicken wire is the one way to keep deer out of your MJ. In my experience, it's the only way. Check out the bottom branches, especially on the right side, they hit it all the way around:

tokinjoe

Another of my biggest pests are caterpillars. I apologize in advance if it's been posted on in this thread and I've missed it, but DIPEL (Thuricide) is the way to kill these bud destroying pests. Caterpillars eat the bud and as they do they leave a trail of waste or excrement behind them. This is especially damaging to the budding plant as the caterpillar bores into the bud and excrements behind itself. All it takes is rain, dew or both and the excrement will mold, and it quickly spreads to the rest of the bud. Often it is not noticed as the bud actually rots from the inside out.

I've used Dipel in the past in powder form but it's hard to hide a plant that has been treated. For this reason I'll be using the liquid Dipel from now on. It is a pest specific day of harvest pesticide that kills upon ingestion, not contact. One plant I had was severely infested and after treatment I could not find a live caterpillar anywhere. Needless to say due to damage I had to harvest the plant prematurely. It also kills a variety of worms and other caterpillars that destroy crops. I get mine at Lowe's in powder form and dont' recall seeing the liquid form although your local store may have it. Most of the caterpillar damage I've observed has been in the later budding stages and it's advisable to be proactive in treating the plants before the caterpillars infest them if that's possible. I hope this helps. :rasta:

H

Huey69

tokinjoe said:
Huey, is it possible to take pictures of these bugs? I do know that termites will den up in pots or containers. I've had that happen to me before. The workers are whitish in color and usually disappear into the pot as it is lifted, or into the ground. Can you tell if the insects are also burrowing into the ground under the pots?
Hmmm...it does sound like that...I'll try my best to get a picture either tomorrow or the next day, but I'm not sure how good of a picture I'll be able to get.

H

Huey69

Alright....my camera isn't that good at taking close macros...and so I found a 2x eye loop(I was going to buy a stronger one, but i havnt had the chance to go get one) around the house...these are the best I could get.
100_1102.jpg

100_1124.jpg

You can see the orange and white/clear bugs. They mainly hang out under the pots, very very few are around the rim, and I havn't seen any on the plants or in the soil.
Are these termites or what?Thanks for any help..

tokinjoe

Dude I don't think they are termites. I'm not really sure what they are. I would go to either Lowe's or another store with pesticides and get a garden type pesticide and put it around the plants and under the pots. See if that does the trick. Good luck man.

H

Huey69

tokinjoe said:
Dude I don't think they are termites. I'm not really sure what they are. I would go to either Lowe's or another store with pesticides and get a garden type pesticide and put it around the plants and under the pots. See if that does the trick. Good luck man.
Hmmm...I'll go check out the Cannabis Infirmary and see what they have to say. Thanks for the help though. :canabis:

tokinjoe

Wish I could tell you what those are, bro. Either way I'd get a garden friendly pesticide that kills most bugs and try it. I don't like bugs on my mj, especially if I don't know what they are. No telling if they are predators or not. Another idea is you can go online and google bug species for your state. I'd bet money you'd find the bug you are looking for right there. Dude, when I want to know about it, I google almost everything. Most answers on those kinds of things are right here at your fingertips. Good luck finding out what they are. If you don't mind, post up when you do. Ya got my curiousity up. :rasta:

H

Huey69

I started a thread in the Cannabis infirmary(Check here), and it looks like I have Springtails. Now I just have to combat them....World war 3, maybe not, but there sure will be alot more of them dead then me(or so I hope haha).

ChaosCatalunya

5.2 club is now 8.1 club...
Veteran
LittleBigMan said:
You can use neem cake in the soil & its also a great organic fertilizer to boot...

tokinjoe said:
Another of my biggest pests are caterpillars. I apologize in advance if it's been posted on in this thread and I've missed it, but DIPEL (Thuricide) is the way to kill these bud destroying pests. Caterpillars eat the bud and as they do they leave a trail of waste or excrement behind them. This is especially damaging to the budding plant as the caterpillar bores into the bud and excrements behind itself. All it takes is rain, dew or both and the excrement will mold, and it quickly spreads to the rest of the bud. Often it is not noticed as the bud actually rots from the inside out.

I've used Dipel in the past in powder form but it's hard to hide a plant that has been treated. For this reason I'll be using the liquid Dipel from now on. It is a pest specific day of harvest pesticide that kills upon ingestion, not contact. One plant I had was severely infested and after treatment I could not find a live caterpillar anywhere. Needless to say due to damage I had to harvest the plant prematurely. It also kills a variety of worms and other caterpillars that destroy crops. I get mine at Lowe's in powder form and dont' recall seeing the liquid form although your local store may have it. Most of the caterpillar damage I've observed has been in the later budding stages and it's advisable to be proactive in treating the plants before the caterpillars infest them if that's possible. I hope this helps. :rasta:

Neem Oil is the Dog's bollocks, it is the only thing I need or use to get rid of Caterpillars and other bastardos. Here in Spain the biggest problem is Caterpillars, plagues of them at times. Not only do you loose a lot of your crop to them munching, but even the most rot resistant varieties here [Kali Mist, Powerplant] will rot once a Caterpillar has made holes through a bud.

Many other insects will avoid Neem treated plants, it really is win-win.....but, it needs to be used pre emptively, in advance..I spray once a month a mix called "Extracto de Neem" by Premium [www.horticulturatecnica.com] that really seems to do the business.

PazVerdeRadical

all praises are due to the Most High
Veteran
bumping this thread because it kicks serious ass, and adding a guide I have just found googling on how to grow mint:

"Botanical Name:
Mentha

Common names:
Common mints in the garden include Spearmint and Crinkled-leafed Spearmint, Peppermint, Apple Mint and Pennyroyal (which is toxic and cannot be eaten).

Description:
Except for Pennyroyal, Mint grows on upright stems to a height of 1-2 feet high, has aromatic leaves and sends up spikes of small, pink to purple flowers that bloom in the late summer. Pennyroyal, with its small pointed leaves and cluster of pink flowers, creeps along on slender roots and makes a good ground cover. If left unchecked, all Mints spread rapidly throughout the garden by way of runners.

Life Cycle:
hardy perennials

Exposure:
full sun to partial shade

Cultivation:
Mint prefers moist, fertile soil and strong afternoon sun. All varieties are considered invasive and should be carefully controlled by growing in pots or employing underground plastic barriers to keep runners from spreading. Mint can be grown in baskets, containers or in outdoor beds. Start plants from cuttings rooted in water or by division. Set transplants in pots buried flush with the soil or in beds spaced 9 to 12 inches apart. Mint growing outdoors should be cut back to 6 inches in the fall and mulched over winter.

Propagation:
dependent upon type-division, cuttings, runners or seeds

Parts Used:
leaves

Harvesting and Storage:
Mint leaves can be cut and used fresh as needed or dried or frozen. Store leaves in sealed containers until used.

Medicinal Uses:
antiseptic; appetite stimulant; digestive aid; preventative dentistry; relaxation; nasal decongestant; breath freshener

Culinary Uses
Peppermint: flavoring for chocolates, candies, ice cream and other desserts. Spearmints: flavors sauces, vegetables, cold drinks and teas, fruit dishes, soups. Pennyroyal: do not consume

Other Uses:
soap; skin care; garlands; insect repellant; scented candles; laundry rinse; hanging baskets, garden beds and borders "

Latest posts

Latest posts