What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Fear of to early pollinating Male. Can Males come to early for Longflowering Sativa?

romanoweed

Please help ,

Im having a loong flowering Strain , somewher between 14 and 20 weeker Sativa, wich i wanna open pollinate. I Have 2 Males, of wich one is ALREADY STARTING POLLINATING slightly.. i saw dust coming out.. But my FEMALES HAVENT EVEN DEVELOPED SIDEBRANCHES, JUST LEAFES...

WILL MALE MAKE POLLENSACKS LONGER NOW? Or not? How many Sacks more, and how Long you think it will do that? Again, Males and Females are same Strain, so actually males shouldnt come to early i suggest... but you never know.

Have only photo of females 2 weeks earlier taken, but i place a Male-Photo that Looks similar

Similar Male to mine:
picture.php

Females (the ones most behind right outed as males 2 weeks later, or call it now... but that shows how my females look.. only Leaves) :
picture.php

Please Help, These are highly wanted genetics.. Can Males come to early? or is this unlikely to happen..?

Last edited:

romanoweed

I HAD THAT QUESTION AT ANOTHER PLACE TOO, here: https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=1034&page=19 I JUST PLACE A COPY INTO HERE
That male will continue to produce pollen for a couple months if you keep it alive long enough.

Anybody successfully taken a pollenating male cutting limb and rooted and revegged it??

Yes, had to do that on a tom hill haze male last fall one of five got overlooked. I didnt have high hopes but it went back into veg pretty easily.

Please help ,

Im having a loong flowering Strain , somewher between 14 and 20 weeker Sativa, wich i wanna open pollinate. I Have 2 Males, of wich one is ALREADY STARTING POLLINATING slightly.. i saw dust coming out.. But my FEMALES HAVENT EVEN DEVELOPED SIDEBRANCHES, JUST LEAFES...

WILL MALE MAKE POLLENSACKS LONGER NOW? Or not? How many Sacks more, and how Long you think it will do that? Again, Males and Females are same Strain, so actually males shouldnt come to early i suggest... but you never know.

Have only photo of females 2 weeks earlier taken, but i place a Male-Photo that Looks similar

Similar Male to mine: View Image

Females (the ones most behind right outed as males 2 weeks later, or call it now... but that shows how my females look.. only Leaves) :
View Image

Please Help, These are highly wanted genetics.. Can Males come to early? or is this unlikely to happen..?

Simply collect the pollen of both males and hit up your girls when they're ready!

Yes, but they are like bammbo-thin, i dont know if new Pollensacks Reform as thin as they look, and due to dooing it first time, i dont wanna risk my collected Pollen ...Leafing Stems behind, wich dont rebuild Sacks 2nd Time and leafe emptyhanded...

Can someone confirm that a Landrace 20 Weeker Sativa wouldnt show such strange behaviour and come to early?
Will there be more Sacks later? This is crutial when collecting the few Pollen. I with my Artistbrush cant pollinate so much Plants, as Nature can , i suggest (i have a couple other Females in other Spot waiting for this Pollen i talk about here).
Where do you see more Risk? Couldnt i actually just let the Male savely doo its Thing..?
So will there form more Pollensacks for that after i empty the current Pollsacks???? Thanx Mohadib , and all others

You have to collect pollen the plant dies after it sheds all of it.

Are you really 100 Percent shure? i Kind of remind seeing Males making new Pollensacks after the initial ones, but i cant remember right..

I wouldn't bother with it if I wasn't.

I have heard of males being revegged but have never pulled it off myself.

1. It's normal for males to flower a little earlier than their female counterparts. That doesn't mean there can't be males that flower too early for the present females though.

2. Males also flower over a certain period of time in which they keep producing pollensacks. Depending on the specific male, this takes between 1,5 and 3 weeks, sometimes even longer.

I have no personal experience with long flowering sativa males, so I don't know how long their flowering-cycle might be - probably even longer.

3. If your male is growing indoors, you can easily collect it's pollen during the whole flowering-cycle by using a petri dish (or whatever you want to use to catch the pollen) and something to tap on the open pollen sacks. You don't have to cut off any branches.
When I do this, I collect pollen once or twice a day. The pollen can be stored in the fridge.

Yes Mohadib. Thats exactly the Problem, my Males stand outdoors, no Greenhouse... Otherwise i would have gone shurely for the collecting-everyday-Day-by-slight-Shake-while-hold-alife-Method. Now i have to decide between collecting everyday, therefore probably gather MORE Amount of rebuilding Pollen in 3 Weeks, but risking loss trough a certain Windyness at my Place aswell trough rainy Days (and it Looks like some eventual Raindays ahead), or if i should just cut the Branch of and savely collect Pollen at Home (Waterglass-Method)

Not to confuse: since you say some Males DEFINITELY CAN COME TO EARLY, im guessing thats one of them. Just doubling the 3 Weeks makes 6 Weeks of possible Sativa-Male-Pollination (my 16 Weeker Sativa has double of 8 Weeks flower) , and i dont think in 6 Weeks i have any female Flower ready.
Im now just trying to find the Method wich gathers more Pollen, since it s a very thin Male, aswell as my other Male and i have much Plants to pollinate... I will use Flour to Mix it up/dilute it, but after Storage, cause i heard it can introduce Moisture in Storage.

I post a Picture of MY Male tonight, and probably one can guess whats better
But im almost certain i will go into harvesting. I already read everything about collecting/storing. Thanx Mohadib again for your 3-Weeks-maximum-Indica-Anwser

If the meristem is still clusters of pods then pollen is yet to come.

If you see the tip and it ends in a single pod that's the last flower to shed pollen on that branch.

So here are the Pictures of MY Male Plants i took today:

My Male top Bud:
View Image

View Image

View Image

Lower Branches of Male:
View Image

one of Females:

View Image

Im shure i have to collect The Pollen now, cause i learned some Bramches might still develop, but it doesent look like there is so much to come. I still counted 20 mini Pollen-Sacks on the Top cola (wich are of the size of a third of Ripe Sacks) , aswell as 10 Mini-Sacks on the Lower Branches. 30 Sacks are Ripe.

I collected what fell out of the already opened Sacks, and its basically nothing, this is hard Challenge with such a tiny Male,, So i thought why not take my Plant Home WITHIN THE SOIL , place at Window, with abusly very low Light.. This way i can collect The 30 Ripe Sacks, but hopefully the 20 unripe at Topcola, aswell 10 unripe at lower-Branche will all eventually develop.

What you think, if i cut the Top, and place in Water , would the unripe Sacks become bigger/develop untill ready? I dont think so , or?
Thats why i will take this Male home within the Soil tonight,, And get the most Amount hopefully
Thanx

What you think, if i cut the Top, and place in Water , would the unripe Sacks become bigger/develop untill ready? I dont think so , or?

No once a male tosses it's pollen that's it. Very hard to clone or regenerate, or get it to re-flower. Once they enter senescence that's it.

You know it's rough when you're counting pollen sacks. Ouch! Unless this strain is really important and you don't have other seeds, I'd probably ditch it. A real problem I see is that your male is flowering a long time before your female's ready. It's a characteristic of a few strains I've seen, a couple of them were great, but most of the time it's a sign of a dud male. The early males often have a hempy auto-flower type gene which is a bad trait.

I know it's exciting to set your seeds and get your own varieties going so I don't want to discourage you too much. If you're able to squeeze out some pollen be sure to keep it dry and refrigerated. Desiccant helps but isn't necessary as long as the pollen is dry.

One thing I've done is pick the individual male flowers as they open but before they release their pollen. Put them in an envelope or a paper bag. Don't use a plastic bag because it traps moisture which is the ultimate enemy of pollen. It's much easier to extract the pollen from the individual flowers then to try to shake the plant, especially with such a small amount. Just one male flower will be enough to make 20 or 30 seeds.

Thereverend :
I wont let the oportunity go to reproduce it now. I can decide that later, but i get what you wanna say: it could be a bad Sign.. I also dont know the Strain. They say ist pure Thai, but somehow i doubt.. but again to Thematic: i will do everything to get the most posssible Pollen, since i have to pollinate muuuuuch more plants, than shown. Equally to a total Amount of 3 FULLY grown Plants, (not like americans doo, this Monsters, but 3 normally fullgrown Plants)

One thing I've done is pick the individual male flowers as they open but before they release their pollen. Put them in an envelope or a paper bag. Don't use a plastic bag because it traps moisture which is the ultimate enemy of pollen. It's much easier to extract the pollen from the individual flowers then to try to shake the plant, especially with such a small amount. Just one male flower will be enough to make 20 or 30 seeds.

Would you then store the MAle-Flowers as Sacks, and when needed later squeeze the Pollen out?? dont get it so exactly

But, will the plant survive at my Window, low light Window, IN SOIL and finish mini Pollensacks?? If not i could place it back outside in sun..

So, i took my whole Plant at Home, within it s Soil.. hahah

View Image

View Image

But im deciding between two Options now:

1: Shake the Plant onto the Brown Paper i already installed. Pro: when storing, i dont have any Plant Material. Contra: I will have to place new Paper atleast 4 Times due to having to avoid warmth(and have to cool the Shaked Poll.), and there is such small Amout of Sativa -Pollen... So i will have Problems in Scratching it together. Therefore i loose much.

2: Cut the Sacks, when ripe , and store it as whole Sacks. Pro, i dont loose any Pollen due to Problems in Scratching it together first, but the Pollensacks contain Moisture, and Moisture could kill my Pollen WHEN planned a NECESSARY 3-Month STORAGE.

So Wich Method would give more Pollen?
Help fast, its fullon going now. Wich Method would give more Pollen
Thanx

And if cutting the whole Sacks: better wait untill they just opened, or before they are just about to open????

So my solution: Tilt the Plant Abit and Wrap a tighter smaller Paper around

picture.php

picture.php

After that take Paper away, and when reusing/thawing put Flour on the Paper, and mix it with a Artist Brush like mixing Colors on a Pallete, softly. Amen

romanoweed

Allright, it turns out, i was to scared there is to less Pollen from this Male..
Just want to show you this little Sativa Male-Top produces realy nice Amount of Pollen:
Thats the Pollen wich falls every 3 Days:
picture.php

And also the Decision to take The Plant Home despite the disturbing Bycicle-Ride trough my Hometown seems totally worth it. There seems really to not needed much Direct Sunlight, just a place at Window and all the undevelloped 1/3 Sized Pollens at the Top are developping to Maturity. I doubt this would have made it if i chopped the Plant early on..

Here a Pic in its currrent State: consider many opened Sacks are already fallen to the Paper, this are the last remayning ex- 1/3 Sized Pollensacks from the Top, now nearly ready:
picture.php

Will probably take 1,5 Weeks until all Pollens are collected.

So conclusin: even if you have a 15 Weeker, or so Sativa-Male, when properly collected there isnt at all just a thin Film, ateast here. But it seems an very important Decision to not Cut it early in my Case. I just guess i would have shurely lost the Half Amount

Fuel

I think than you was stressing for nothing, but i understand more your context now. So i can empathize your will to play secure.

lmao, can't resist to make a parallel with the "ET movie" for the travel on bicycle.

For later stress and considerations, some pics of males :

skywalker male, around 70 days of non stop pollen.

CaliO x (NL x Hashplant), 4 months of 12/12, "early male" (for the line).

It was outdoor in your case but males love PK as fuck and it help them to reach their peak of maturity faster. The cruising speed if you want.

romanoweed

But cant some Sativas even die from Feedings? Dont know, but i tend to not wanna Risk it a s Newbie, in its Stress.. And woud it help a ony halfwise matured Male-Pollen-Top to reach Maturity when placed into glass? I kind of doubt that

romanoweed

Anyway.. ET, yes i had it sitting in the frontpart of the Bike , the Soil into a Bag, standing difection Sky, driving fast enoug, so the Leafes couldnt be Identified.. The Head of the Plant i wrapped into Paper. I was remembering something..

Fuel

The picture of the travel in my mind make my day at least ^^

You can kill any plants in using the wrong dosage, but not in giving PK boosters to your males just like you will give PK to your females. With decent doses i mean. Pure sativas or not.

I totally understand your will of safety considering the whole context, but moving this male was unnecessary and a big risk in the absolute. And not even strategic in term of genetic potential also.

This male will produce a far better pollen if you let him the time to mature, in plain soil and aside the females (considering than a OP is the initial goal). Far better than what can produce the very first flowers behind a window, and than will not fall directly, fresh as fuck, on females.

Both specimens (females and males) are flowering with proportional and synchronized waves, making the difference in term of calibration of seeds and maturity etc.. on the same female. You have to stress at the very first male flower when you grow sensi, but in breeding it's totally another story. You have to focus more on the spanlife of the males to permit them to reach the "full throttle" state of their peak of maturity. In a certain way, you want to produce qualitative bud of males like you want to produce qualitative buds of females.

I don't known it's like using ovary of an old woman (with the DNA too much "used/mutated") or of a young teenager (being not yet fully expressed), both are far from their full genetic potential in term of potential of reproduction. I hate to make this kind of analogy with cannabis, but that's the spirit and it don't require a NASA lab and years to be experienced. The difference in offspring is enough obvious, and imho the leverage enough critical on long term to be considered with all levels of skills.

romanoweed

Didnt know that there is a Difference in the resulting Genetic. So i tend to believe you that, i just didnt think over it. Sounds easy to imagine.

So, leting Nature doo ist Thing is shure my preffered way in an open Pollination Scenarion with a say one MAle.

But.... my Male is really early timed, thats quiet exact 2 weeks ago:
picture.php

thats now, estimated 1,5 weeks before the Males end:
picture.php

and my females, look same basically like this still(2 weeks ago) no sidebranches at all:
picture.php

They will be FIRST possible ready for Pollination at estimated..say hmm middle September. (Just 3 4 hairs, haha). I dont think any Pollen would still be alive. It would have been rather dead since one Month, no?? There was only 5 to 10 (ultralate) Pollensacks wich probably are done in 3 weeks maximum, but not a day more.. still far away from mid September

No?

I rather think this is Thaistick, i mean it is, going crazy. Showing some extreme Variation. And i have to save it, in its low numberos..
Consider the veeery shady Place could have been responsible for that aswell.. eventually

romanoweed

I think your muuch bigger plants go 100 days, but mine dont cause theyre so mini, no i mean cause Variation...

Look, i have another male, wich is 3 weeks later, maybe i will let it stand, cause you seemed to imply it will last Long letted in (still shady) outdoorspot.. but i dont think i should risk that, and JUST IN THIS LESS POLLEN/LESS INDIVIDUALS SCENARIO, i better go the save Genetical-unmature-Way

romanoweed

I really hope this Little thread doesent get missleading, cause it could.. I really wanna Point out the Facts: my Plant grew at a very Shady outdoorspot, they could be Thaistick 16 weeker, but im unshure about genetics, atleast they call it pure Thai somehow ... I hafe 3 Males, and the first flowering was accidently crinkled (broken, sorry english) and then recovered... And my Male has a Single Topcola, not very big, nearly no lower Branches.

I think the only Thing wich would help is someone who experienced this Scenarios each or at same Time.. It could have be this unusual Reasons for early Flowering.
Am i an unusual grower? hahah

romanoweed

And dont Forget, People adviced me to rather mix my Pollen by Hand in equal amouts, or own Rhythm (the longest stored Polle can become faster unviable while Storage), if i wanna hava neutrall open Pollination, and wanna avoid predominance of whether earlier Male, or whatnot for a dominance.. So i think ist actually not so wrong to mix my 3 Males, genetically Ripe or not..

romanoweed

Ok, short last Update.
I have to correct abit: the male Plant live bit longer than i thought, my conclusion was to fast. here this how he looked today (THIS SHOWES NEW BRANCHES FORMED):

picture.php

picture.php

As you can see, there is still Growth, or is it not..? I found out it is crutial to look on Growth, but its heavy to determine if there is, or not. And if i could determine it would be heavy to predict how Long it still lives on. Still, i learned that i rememberd it rather right, that there IS substential growth later, and Plants develop while fullon Pollinating. So is now 5 weeks, probably still 3 weeks ahead(some mini pollensacks visible)..

And my females, well they started flowering earlier than i thought, showing some 3, 4 Hairs (only not the late pheno)!

And, i also learned that Males arent ever the first to Show Sex, noo, i found 2 more Males yesterday! Looks, like This male was only the earliest....!

So, i will take away this early male away, due to unnessecairy Neighbours watching today, so i wont be able to Show how Long it lived. But all i wantde to say is, if you have a very early male, its very hard to know how Long it will flower, but it most probably will continou growth substencially(look the completely neformed Branches in this new Pictures)! And yeah, it Looks like still may male is quiet early, and i COULD imagine it to been to early (female plants Show 3,4 Hairs, not soooo exiting yet), and would i not have had other males showing yesterday Sex, i would still have been very early! So, i would do it the same next time !!!! By

Fuel

Didnt know that there is a Difference in the resulting Genetic

There is no difference genetically in the absolute, the blend will be very similar in its balance than with an optimal couple. The main difference will be the intensity of the expressions and the eventual presence of new mutations (doing the mess in your breeding plan) as symptoms of "non optimal material", more.

To give an image, it's like having in front the original F1 and the copy made by a no name seed bank. One is obviously expressing better averages. Not specially a better genetic but a better quality of the "genetic X". I known it look "peeky" but we are now a massive number to be "pissed off" by this little detail, since 20 years now. With different approaches, but the initial problem is qualitative.

Your own genetic potential is not the same when you are 5 years old, 20 years old or close to the finish line. Not only because the cells, but also because you start to mutate when you start to die (then the DNA eventually shared). To stay on the concept (and very synthetic), only the DNA of your 20 years will be enough qualitative to permit to your kids to express the full potential of your genetic heritage. If your wife is not too dominant genetically off course, and not too old (so not too much mutated).

You can extrapolate that with these stupid plants. There is a period of maturity for all specimens (males, females, herms) but also a concept of quality to consider. Me too i want to believe than the DNA is Fort Knox and than no matter what happend to the specimen, the information will be always in its optimal state. In a way, it can mean than we are physically immortals if i extrapolate hardly.

Next time someone is saying to you than a sick plant give the same offspring than a "top notch condition plant", ask him to share the secret of the immortality with you ^^

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]They will be FIRST possible ready for Pollination at estimated..say hmm middle September. (Just 3 4 hairs, haha). I dont think any Pollen would still be alive. It would have been rather dead since one Month, no?? There was only 5 to 10 (ultralate) Pollensacks wich probably are done in 3 weeks maximum, but not a day more.. still far away from mid September[/FONT]

Maintain a high nitrogen + moderated PK dose on the male, keep it around you the night for the extra light or put him in a paper box with a little CFL (15W/20W is enough). The males start to die only when they have fully formed their buds, judging the pics you have at least 3 months in front of you with this male. I have one actually than is starting "the end", i will take a pic for reference. Can help maybe.

He's flowering since June and have pollinated 5 batchs of females.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
Look, i have another male, wich is 3 weeks later, maybe i will let it stand, cause you seemed to imply it will last Long letted in (still shady) outdoorspot.. but i dont think i should risk that, and JUST IN THIS LESS POLLEN/LESS INDIVIDUALS SCENARIO, i better go the save Genetical-unmature-Way
[/FONT]

No pun intended but i was smiling in reading that. Remember me memories of my first guerrillas with an imported africaan in cold region of europe ^^

You have one at home as failsafe with collected pollen planned for storing if my memory is right ... you can play the natural card in my opinion. If something go wrong, you have the "window male" and its zipbag of pollen. I think than the only thing than can go wrong with this male is the presence of female flowers in late September, to watch closely after the very first fresh nights.

But yeah, i will not lie the development of the plant is problematic. But not impossible to get a couple of ten-bags of seeds, this plant is solid. Specially the thai lines, they are terminators. Still a sucess if you get only 20 seeds, the wheel still turn and it's the more important for now.

Maybe try cheap "slow release" pellets (with low N) just before the rain of autumn come. Plain soil can be tricky to judge, your plants can be underfeeded and look well because they have enough to survive.

Now take it as a god send in a way. They are supposed to be over 3 meters right now, not easy to hide them ^^

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]if i wanna hava neutrall open Pollination, and wanna avoid predominance of whether earlier Male, or whatnot for a dominance.. So i think ist actually not so wrong to mix my 3 Males, genetically Ripe or not..[/FONT]

The job "is just entering in the hands" like we say here, obviously you don't have the planned jungle and enough specimens to have any form of guarantee or sight. But that's not so important at this stage, you have learned by empirism than a breeding plan must rely on a method. Or when shit happend, you no longer the boss but the plants.

My first successfull BX was the 12th lol I was expecting it more easy to drive considering all the bullshits writed by stoners on the subject at this time. It was looking so easy and predictable, at the point to never speak about the recurrent host of the equation. Which in practice have a bigger role than the cut backcrossed to lead somewhere.

For now, i think than you have to do your maximum to obtain the maximum number of seeds. It's more important than reaching a neutrality than the context don't permit.

You learn also this way than a breeding plan than you can't adapt in real time, is not a breeding plan but a structured wish. I disgress but i'm sure than some high mileage stoners will smile in reading that ^^

As you can see, there is still Growth, or is it not..? I found out it is crutial to look on Growth, but its heavy to determine if there is, or not. And if i could determine it would be heavy to predict how Long it still lives on. Still, i learned that i rememberd it rather right, that there IS substential growth later, and Plants develop while fullon Pollinating. So is now 5 weeks, probably still 3 weeks ahead(some mini pollensacks visible)..
[/FONT]

Yes he grow, in fact he's finishing his stretch more. It take a good week indoor with optimal density of lights and nutes, but you can totally forget this data in this context. He will maybe never stop his stretch because the lack of light, maybe it will take one more month ... who know. The genetic will speak.

He's very young and just start to produce sacks, i still don't understand why you think than he will die suddently all the time lol
(true) Males are generally flowering longer than females in bonus ... try to catch "hemp husbandry" by RC clarke. Funny and pleasant to read and full of details on the different sequences.

Maybe there is some other useless stress you can wash this way.

But all i wantde to say is, if you have a very early male, its very hard to know how Long it will flower, but it most probably will continou growth substencially(look the completely neformed Branches in this new Pictures)!
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]This male is supposed to flower during over ten weeks, considering the possible genetic. But not in your context, and it's what is dangerous in your considerations for further selections or OP or whatever.
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]You're watching the answer of the plants to a specific bundle of stress slowering a lot their growth (nutes, light, late-sow maybe also ?), not the real expression of the plants on a neutral basis. We join a portion of our discussion about manipulating a line in OP in using only mastered epigenetics leverage. In my previous example i was speaking i think about high PH or no nutes, you're actually in the same scenario. Even if you don't want to, you're actually applying a very strong pressure on the genetic. A lot more than if you was growing indoor and if you was selecting each specimen for a given couple.
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]That's not the end of the world, stay on your initial idea. The next OP will be better and more prepared, and the next after even better ...
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]In normal condition, the males are the brothers of their sisters. I cry each time i must write it lol So it's very weird to imagine than the sequence of the male will be different than the females, like different species.[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]When the hormons are triggered, the plants stretch during one or twos week, or continously at slow rate for most tropicals. Then the secondaries take their turn, at this moment you can see drastic changes in trunk diameter, stems diameter, the nodes also are changing because the pressure ... leaving the "salad texture" for a more woody profile.
[/FONT]

When the productive system of the plant is finished, "fixed", the plant start to really produce flowers considering the hormonal hot spots. It look like dispatched balls of flowers all over the plants.

When the density of these flowers reach its genetic limit, the bud are forming like they want to colonize the stems. Then after that the plant just mature in a round curve, reaching its apogee in term of maturity/dosages of compounds then fading slowly to the death.

The more the years are passing, the less people believe me when i say than a male is just a female with different flowers shape ^^

I wish you enough seeds to have fun and to continue the madness, maybe within 5 years you will have something to say on the scene with a refined thai. Who known. We can't really say to DJ Short than it was a bad idea with the big portion of the cannabis history he have writed with a single line ^^ We need masochists working on thai during long term selection lol

Also it can't harm a recreative market so desperate than hemp headache is the new commercial flavor of 2015-2025 ^^

romanoweed

to Fuel:

You was wondering if i planted late, : no i planted extremely early in my window. And yes, maybe they go for very Long time , i have no idea.. Pobably 2 months.. i cant know.

I have even one more male agian, wich was middle-earlie, wich i let stand outside, i will Report how Long it finally took. Like said i had to kill my home-transported Plants due to wondering Neighbours, after i collected its Teenage-Pollen.
Yes, if the middle-earlie Male goes veeeeeery Long, i would actually have to eventually revidate, or atleast to question my Conclusion, that it was the Right Thing to take them home...

And yes, you also seem to suggest that enviromental Circumstances could eventually substencially Change Plants behaviour... This seems quiet likely. Cannabis is a very changable Plant, wich can Change substencially its Apperance acording to Enviroment i read once

I will Report on that.

grayeyes

Having just bred Mr. Greengenes' Cherry Bomb I can tell you my males outlasted the females fertile stage. Yes, they did start pollen sacs and looked threatening but they stayed mild mannered and since I stuck them in a place pollen couldn't throw I pollinated flowers when I wanted to do that.

Sometimes we worry too much.

romanoweed

SO my final update: It turns out my strain isnt what it is advertised. That was causing my fear of early pollinating males. I thought my femalse will take like 15 weeks and beeing pure Thais, but they areant... Another misslabelled pure Thai.. So i found out when watching my growspot last time, that my females are way to fat, now that they substentially stacked up in size of buds for beeing 16 weekwe Thai.

So yes they recieved some pollen from my middle-early male, in the first possible Moment to take pollen (i saw the seeds formed).

I can only guess, but my early male might have made it only just.. Like i told, i killed the early males, after polen-collection.

So, i RECONCLUDE, now that i know the females are not 16 weekers:
1: Very early male might made it just in time(can only guess since i killed it before)
2: Middle early male made it!!! Seeds formed.
3: very late males showed, and i didnt know there are males showing sex even after females Show sex!!!

So, if you really believe you have just one male, wich you cant know for shure, since other males may Show after any female, then you can collect it to go the save way. Also considering it rains for the short timewindow when pollination would be possible. So, i would eventually do the same again if i have low Plantcount.
But i f you have an amount of Plants where you consider to be atleast another later male (18 plants Minimum) then you can just rely on LIKELYNESS that there are other males.
I had only around 14 Plants and therefore took the male home.

HAve a nice Harvest!

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Update on "too early" and pollination. I used pollen from 2013 on a flower last month, and it's perfectly fine. :) Granted, I dried and stored it in the freezer properly, but that's definitely an 'early' pollen drop for this year. lol

Glad things are working out for you, this is an amazing plant :D

Latest posts

Latest posts