What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Ever know anyone who took too much LSD?

armedoldhippy

Veteran
i'd say i'm in the "several hundred hits" club. used to buy a sheet of a hundred red dragon blotter every two weeks & split it with my brother. we didn't take ALL of them, we're not selfish swine. we gave the rest away to friends, strangers etc at parties. sure miss those times...so, i'd say "nope. don't know anyone that took too much over time..." :tiphat:

Gry

Honestly, I don't think thats a good idea. This has been going on for a long time and its severe enough at this point where I'm not going to enable it, but I'm also not going to outright tell him what he can and can't do. We've talked a little and have had some good conversations, but its difficult with the "pressured talking." Professional help is the best solution here, but you can't force that on someone. I also feel like this is the last straw for my family - get help and we'll be there for you or your not welcome back. I mean, you can't terrorize your family and expect everything to be okay.

Sorry to hear of the difficulties, and hope you are able to find a viable
resolution.

M

moose eater

Honestly, I don't think thats a good idea. This has been going on for a long time and its severe enough at this point where I'm not going to enable it, but I'm also not going to outright tell him what he can and can't do. We've talked a little and have had some good conversations, but its difficult with the "pressured talking." Professional help is the best solution here, but you can't force that on someone. I also feel like this is the last straw for my family - get help and we'll be there for you or your not welcome back. I mean, you can't terrorize your family and expect everything to be okay.

Is this someone who visits your home on occasion, and used to live there, or a person who still resides with you, Squall?

I know that for many, the harm reduction approach seems counter-intuitive, but it has been found to be a very positive approach for many, including opiate addicts.

But there is a difference between a bare-bones physical addiction, and a recurrent pattern of mal-adaptive behavior that routinely and inherently brings about a psychotic episode.

The micro-dosing offers a middle ground.

A family member runs a harm reduction-based clinic, and it side-steps the puritanical/DEA approach of "Thou shall not," while giving credit for small steps/progress. There's almost a guaranteed tug-of war in telling others they can't/better not do something.

And you/they might find that the micro-dosing works for him/her in similar ways that it is for others now using it clinically, unofficially or otherwise.

But I also understand the bitterness and worn tolerance of burned bridges, too. Hard to find patience or compassion for someone who has violated boundaries too many times, ending in upheaval and frustrations/tempers/emotional agony...

While I know of harm reduction clinics for opiate and other phys. addictions, I don't personally know of any for psychedelics. Not that they aren't available, just that I don't know of them myself.

I know for me, whereas, between ages of 13 and 23, I might've eaten LSD, etc., sometimes daily, sometimes up to 4-5 doses at a time, any more it takes me a while to find the right time to feel OK with it, as the intensity is something I don't just engage in at the drop of a hat anymore.

Hydro8

I lived in hippy towns when I was in my 20s and was around lots of LSD. Sometimes people would do to much and get temperately burnt or flaked out. But usually hit some reality and realize they were not reincarnated Buddha and pull their head out of their ass.

In Boulder Co in the 90s their was a house with a bunch of young hippies living there. Someone left a bindle of crystal LSD laying around a young woman 19yrs old found it and assumed it was cocaine or ??? So she laid out a line and snorted it.

A line 1/16 or a gram ? would probably be about 500 hits of crystal LSD. She was taken to the hospital after a few days she was transferred to the mental hospital, after a few weeks her parents from back east took her to a mental hospital back there. Months later one of her friends said her parents said she was "Doing better". Sad situation

X

xavier7995

A few, beau was the most notable. He sold acid in the park and took it pretty much daily for years. Eventually he just became a shambling homeless dude with no real connection to reality.

Not due to acid, but a kid i grew up with just got busted for stabbing a guy to death. Glad i made some different choices along the way.

Green Squall

Is this someone who visits your home on occasion, and used to live there, or a person who still resides with you, Squall?

I know that for many, the harm reduction approach seems counter-intuitive, but it has been found to be a very positive approach for many, including opiate addicts.

But there is a difference between a bare-bones physical addiction, and a recurrent pattern of mal-adaptive behavior that routinely and inherently brings about a psychotic episode.

The micro-dosing offers a middle ground.

A family member runs a harm reduction-based clinic, and it side-steps the puritanical/DEA approach of "Thou shall not," while giving credit for small steps/progress. There's almost a guaranteed tug-of war in telling others they can't/better not do something.

And you/they might find that the micro-dosing works for him/her in similar ways that it is for others now using it clinically, unofficially or otherwise.

But I also understand the bitterness and worn tolerance of burned bridges, too. Hard to find patience or compassion for someone who has violated boundaries too many times, ending in upheaval and frustrations/tempers/emotional agony...

While I know of harm reduction clinics for opiate and other phys. addictions, I don't personally know of any for psychedelics. Not that they aren't available, just that I don't know of them myself.

I know for me, whereas, between ages of 13 and 23, I might've eaten LSD, etc., sometimes daily, sometimes up to 4-5 doses at a time, any more it takes me a while to find the right time to feel OK with it, as the intensity is something I don't just engage in at the drop of a hat anymore.

Hey Moose. Its a sibling who hasn't visited in 5 years. That visit was a disaster as well. He is staying at my parents house, and the stress is serious effecting them, to the point where my dad said he hasn't had a good meal in a few days. I'm all for harm reduction, but I think its past that point. Mom called and he's passed out in their living room, drunk from vodka - in the morning, saying crazy shit.

944s2

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Two for starters,,
Founding member of “ Fleetwood Mac”: Peter Green,,
Pink Floyds , Syd Barret,,, s2

St. Phatty

One of the most productive tech workers I worked with in Silicon Valley was a guy who took LSD every day for a year and a half.

When we worked together he split his time between selling wood (they lived near Yosemite) and doing PC design.

He was the best PC board designer in the company. He could sit and crank for 12 hours. Without major caffeine or anything.

YukonKronic

Heard a story about a guy with a bunch of sheets taped to his chest at Alaska border crossing... started to sweat and absorbed like 500 or 1000 hits they say.
Lol the story said he would peak in 2017 and thought he was an orange about to be peeled as they drug him away...
That was in mid 90’s I always thought it a good story and a cautionary tale about handling dangerous substances if perhaps less than likely true.

I gotta say I would not allow ANYbody to do so much psychedelics and uncontrolled drinking around ANY of my loved ones. There’s a statistical correlation with substance abuse and violent behaviour and when someone loses touch with reality completely they might do anything to protect the version they have built for themselves.

I kicked my brother in law out in his ass for having cocaine in the room next to my ten year old daughter and getting drunk with my wife and his girlfriend in our house every night.

I actually felt very violent towards him for a long time as he had been warned extensively about that kinda shit around my family and he
immediately used my wife to try and keep him out of the shit for it.

Almost broke my marriage up and made me a violent criminal. I don’t let anybody overcome my instincts in these regards any more.
Ever.

Cvh

Supermod

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
I have a dozen friends who died from all sorts of drug related shit by the time I was 20. Some from overdosing, some from lead poisoning, and two by fire. I had a good friend who never returned from a trip. His family visited him in the hospital and he didn't know who they were. It wasn't pretty. When he made it out he still hung out with us, but.... he was never the same. Unsure of everything he said. Definitely not right in the head. I had friends who used to take 40 dexies in a night. Really fucked up bunch. Some lived very short lives.

bigtacofarmer

Veteran
Very few months in the last 25 years I have not eaten some good ole LSD at least once or twice. Was about a year when my first daughter was born that I didn't trip. And for a few years after it seems there were more bullshit research chemicals available than real L. Lucky for everyone it seems there has been no shortage of super clean high quality product for quite a few years.

:thank you::dance013::yay::party::good::deadxmas:

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
I took it regularly from about age 20 to 28 or so. I took it occasionally before and after that. I feel like it didn't hurt me in any functional way, and in fact has benefited me. There were times during that period when I was doing it every day. You know how people say that you can't trip every day? Wrong. When you have vials of the stuff you can just keep taking more. You don't need to double the dose. Just taking slightly more always worked. I spent an entire year microdosing one time. This was long before that word ever came in vogue. I certainly didn't call it that. I just called it "low dose LSD." I took a precisely measured 10mcg every morning for 365 days, out of sheer curiosity. It was a fantastic year! I got a lot of existential work done that year, let me tell you! :biggrin:

Anyway, other than minor changes to my visual field, and reduced night vision, it hasn't keep me from functioning in society. I think studies have been/are being done on this, but it's possible that these "psychotic breaks" are being triggered by the psychedelics, and not necessarily caused by them.

M

moose eater

Hey Moose. Its a sibling who hasn't visited in 5 years. That visit was a disaster as well. He is staying at my parents house, and the stress is serious effecting them, to the point where my dad said he hasn't had a good meal in a few days. I'm all for harm reduction, but I think its past that point. Mom called and he's passed out in their living room, drunk from vodka - in the morning, saying crazy shit.

Sounds like there's way more going on than psychedelics, Squall.

And the closer to the problem a person is, the more difficult it can be to remain objective, patient, etc. Add to that the foreign nature or experience most/many folks feel when dealing with psychosis in general. What to do, what not to do, how to relate, yadda, yadda.

Seems to me to be a proper time to find a GOOD resource, for folks who have compounded psych issues, and drug abuse/dependence of a sort more broad in scope than the most popular current bent, opiates, and see if there's not a harm reduction type of group home or in-patient facility.

Cost and demand are 2 obstacles therein. but if your family member (I assume brother, which has to hurt a bit) isn't legally a resident at your folks' home, and they are technically just visiting (and I assume have limited resources/cash flow), with no permanent residence of their own, then maybe getting them into such a place -might- be easier for that.

At the same time, many facilities/'programs' (GOD I hate that word!!) amount to getting what you pay for, too. not all, but many.

Having to choose between folks' stability and peace, and helping out a lost sibling, sucks, and I'm sorry you're having to contend with that.

Start doing the yellow pages and referral services circle walk, and see if you can't find something that offers up what your brother needs. But keep your own patience and wits about you, because it may be some long research ahead, and the in-between, while things are status quo, sounds like it might get a bit ugly.

Not going to share any of the things I experienced with my siblings from a distance, as they involved my also-troubled mother, as none of those stories would help you now. What I will say is that they all passed without the proverbial water being cleared between they and I, and there's room for regrets in not cleaning up the past before that point of no return.

Take care, and best of luck.

My family member who is in the harm reduction gig, and takes it very seriously, from a conscientious view, can get into some research if you'd like, and take a peek at places out that way, but their primary focus for their org is opiates, as well as diseases re. IV use.

I'll make a call, and just spoke with them moments before logging in here.

Again, take care.

M

moose eater

Squall, does your bro. have any insurance. Specifically, did they get signed up for the ACA, or anything similar?

Edit: PM sent...

Hydro8

I think studies have been/are being done on this, but it's possible that these "psychotic breaks" are being triggered by the psychedelics, and not necessarily caused by them.

I have read a few studies and discussions on “triggers” and psychedelics. It is common consensus that major freak outs and “not coming back” was a preexisting mental condition that “snapped” or “triggered”. Difficult life experiences such as divorces, lost of loved ones, can also trigger mental "illnesses".

Back in the day when I would go to festivals, rainbow gatherings, dead shows, that had 10s of thousands of does being consumed you would always see someone off the deep end wandering around in a bad place. Helpful people would have volunteers set up a “CALM” stations to help the lost psychonauts. Volunteers would also try to shadow and guide lost trippers so they did not end up in the county jail.

At the end of rainbow gatherings the clean up crews would have to deal with lingering crazies that had lost their meds and ate too much mind candy. Many times they would have to take them to the nearest big city and drop them off at the lobby of the mental hospital. You know someone is crazy when the Rainbow family takes them to the loony bin.

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
I met this biker once called Sonny in the Garden of Eden strip joint on the corner of Broadway and Columbus in San Francisco - must have been late 70's - he was going out with one of the strippers, and I was going out with her friend who was also working there - so when he stopped by to pick his GF up, I was also doing the same - and we had a few conversations that were quite interesting about LSD.

One convo was about what his group of bikers do to people they don't particularly like - and I asked him if they murder people - and he said 'Lately we have just been banging them up with at least 5,000 micrograms of LSD 25 - go have a look south of market (a rough area, with many mentally unstable people) - you might well see some of our acid casualties around there'.

I have dabbled in LSD, must have done under 10 trips in all - back in the 70's-80's - it does have the propensity to open doors in the mind that have never been opened - and often times there is something nice to find behind those doors - on my last trip I must have opened the wrong door - because it was a very bum-trip - and put me off taking it again -

Latest posts

Latest posts