What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Males?

yardgrazer

Dumb question, but have people all culled their males already? Has anyone found a good reliable source for pollen?

Was trying to preserve some old seeds by making new seeds, but as usual I royally messed-up and ended up with only a handful of healthy plants... and I'm beginning to worry they might all be female.

I know, weird thing to worry about.

Just trying to consider options (besides taking cuts and keeping mothers alive over the winter... and then I could cross the offspring vs next year's planned preservation project). I'm still hoping my eyesight and sex-judging ability is off and that I have at least one male... but the more I stare the more I'm convinced they're all female.

ahortator

Veteran
Hi. It was so difficult to get my first marijuana seeds that I get paranoid and I never kill the males. I simply preffer to smoke seeded buds than to lose a good strain. Anyway, recently I have had some bad luck in my attempts to make seeds.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
I try to keep all the pollen from my males. Slowly building up a collection. :) I've also begun reversing my females as well. ;)

The key is to use a desiccant which can get moisture levels very low. I use rice which has been heated at low temps to remove the moisture. Once the moisture levels are super low, you can freeze it for up to 10 or more years. It does lose viability over time, but you'll still have good pollen after a decade. :)

yardgrazer

Finally found two places that sell pollen... heh heh no way I'm spending that much money.

And then I realized, if I'm not going to be able to do do a cross with another plant of the same variety (Reeferman's Lebanese HP from 2006 or so), I could use some of my own junk I have lying around... it's late, but males usually seem to start producing pollen quickly, I think I might be able to make it.

Anyway, I started a whole mess of Romulan seeds I made years ago, reckoning I'll cull anything without a decent amount of vigor (and females). Who knows, could make for something interesting, or could make for a hot mess.

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
I looked into that too. $200 for a tenth of a gram is nuts. One problem you can run into also is that you might get feminized pollen.

Maybe vacuum sealing it and dry freezing ?

Tangwena

Veteran
Pollen collecting and sharing is common on some sites, are yours a particular strain or something you bread yourself?
I recently used donated Mulanji and Malawi gold pollen from a friend overseas to make some interesting crosses.
I think its something that should be more commonly done.

yardgrazer

I looked into that too. $200 for a tenth of a gram is nuts.

Right, that was the price I saw where I thought... no thonx.

As for what it is, I said before but it's a Reeferman offering from 2006 or so, "Reeferman's HP #1 - Lebanese"

Description (C&P from the IC strainguide) is as follows:

"Old school meets new school, our classic Lebanese heirloom hash plant meets our exceptional Cali Hash Plant. The mom is a super yielding hash plant which has yielded up to 3.5 lbs per blant indoors in Krusty buckets. Great bucket plant, 4 weeks veg and 2 month flowering time can yield 1 lb/plant. Classic lebanese taste and high."

From what I recall I ordered their Turkish HP offering, but they were out of those and sent me the Lebanese instead. It's some of the last of the seeds I ordered back then (not counting the results of the amateurish chukking I did back then), they started surprisingly well.

Are they actually worth maintaining as a genetic line? Who the heck knows, but I suppose you never know what you find find mucking about.

Last edited:

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
$2000 per gram for mystery weed pollen. The good stuff is not theirs to sell.

yardgrazer

Right, that's where I figured I was better off starting the Romulan F2s, better pollen from mystery plants I made myself than pollen from lord knows where for big $$$.

And then of course it occurred to me that if I took some cuts from the Lebanese HPs and the male Rom plants were coming along too slow for the main show, I could pollinate the cuts and finish them later. Light dawns on marble head.

MintyMick

^What Douglas said.

I use basicially the same recipe as Douglas to make silver thiosulfate and make fem seeds. It works. So if you have a fem plant you want to back up - clone it, spray one with STS spray then collect the pollen when it starts showing pollen sacs and then flower your other unsprayed female plants. When week 3-4 rolls around slap that pollen on them and you’ll have finished seeds in 3-4 weeks.

Last edited:

Magnificat

I just grew out a nice male and collected pollen. :) and used it and grew out the crosses in my my first posted grow here on icmag. key also is, dust the buds at least 4 weeks before finish for ripe healthy seeds. :) I use a qtip and tap some dust on the hairs above the forming nug.

-m

therevverend

Veteran
It's still early Yardgazer you have plenty of time. If you started a few seeds now the males would produce pollen by the end of August. Plenty of time to collect and pollinate. And if you're not 100% sure your plants are female there's still plenty of time for them to show male.

I've got basically all my females sexed and sorted, most of the males separated and judged by pre-flowers. But I'm not 100% sure, females you can be 100% sure of by pre-flowers but males are much trickier.

I found my first mature ball a couple days ago, removed it just in time. They'll start going off between now and the middle of August depending on strain. The great bulk of pollen won't drop until the females have white hairs going.

Latest posts

Latest posts