What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Driving while high: Marijuana users twice as likely to crash, AAA study finds

right

Marijuana makes a driver extra cautious . The results are biased . Scientific results for the highest bidder.

EvergreenState

How to lie with numbers. I think they are getting this from a study in Washington where in 2013 there were 6
auto accident deaths attributed to marijuana, in other words they used THE TEST that AAA says cannot prove driving impairment to claim marijuana usage was the cause of the accident. In 2014 there were 13, again based on THE TEST.
When you lie with numbers what you do is you leave out all other relevant information. They don't say that the number of people who could legally buy marijuana probably went up 100 fold during that time period when everybody and their brother got a med card for marijuana use, claiming a sore back could get you a card.
Also there is no information about these driver's driving history, had they been cited with many driving violations in the past? What were the weather conditons when these accidents occured? Were the users of marijuana even at fault during these accidents?
The number one key to lieing with numbers is you initially reach a conclusion you want and then you make the numbers fit that conclusion. The second key is to not put the conclusion in context by leaving out all other relevant information .

Reminds me of Dogsbite-org and the biased "facts" that they too use to report and create fear in the perquisites of introducing breed specific legislation to you and your own dogs (God forbid if they are of the Bull family- or any other type considered to be of the aggressive type : Rottweiler, Doberman, Akita etc.)

U

useless.gardens

the original quote & post is not informed.

cornell university med school researchers (top tier USA med school & university) did a lengthy experiment with drunks, canna smokers, and straight laced nerds on a driving course.

needless to say, the conclusions of the study were referenced by colo when they went recreational.

to say a canna smoker is 2x to 4x more likely to cause an accident is an outright lie not supported by real world experiments & data.

shit... im gonna smoke a HUGE cone & hit the streets in my Mini just to prove y'all wrong :)

RB56

Veteran
i turn 62 this fall (if i make it, lol) and have been smoking since i was 11. anyone that ever got in a car with me will tell you i am a much safer driver when i have a buzz. part of that, no doubt, is that i am a type A personality son of a bitch when NOT buzzed. always in a hurry (get the fuck off of the road, you stupid bastard!) run through lights on yellow etc. burn one, and i am the old fucker in the slow lane that uses his signals & could care less if you pass me. just as not everyone can ride a unicycle or juggle, not everyone should drive high...a man has gotta know his limits.
I'm confused by your having "old" in your user name when I'm a year older and young as fuck ;)

First thing I want to make clear is that I'm not a do the speed limit and never take any chances kind of driver. Never have been. I always drive as fast as I think I can get away with, while trying not to put anyone else at serious risk. I drive a quick little car and if you hesitate, I go. Not extremely reckless, more like "spirited". Not trying to set myself up as a paragon of driving virtue. I also fight against raging at assholes on the road and frequently fail to control myself. Pretty much learned to express those feelings with gestures and profanity, rather than the car.

That said, you're offering the world the choice between an extremely aggressive (SOB) and an impaired driver. Sounds like we're better off with the latter, but that doesn't make impaired ideal. Dangerous, just less dangerous than not impaired, in your case :D

Fixer

Having been a bad driver for 40 years but none of my accidents have happened when I was high. Smoking weed slows me down and I become more cautious. Perhaps there's a correlation between AAA membership and having accidents.:moon:

Last edited:

PDX Dopesmoker

I know a guy who when to classes to learn how to ride a motorcycle and smoked before class and as much as possible during to make sure that he was high, because he wanted to be sure he could ride stoned. Hows that for responsible behavior, dude supposedly crippled himself intellectually just to make his instruction a greater challenge so as to assure safety.

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Correlation or causation. I would think people that get behind the wheel after smoking or drinking are for the most part, not interested in safety. Texting as well.

So you have a bunch of carefree/impulsive types doing pot and driving. Myself I never did drive stoned but mildly buzzed sometimes. I do not notice any difference in reaction times or other physical problems being stoned. I have tested these as well on the computer.

Some can get away with it and others no. Alcohol is the threat imo.

The violence connection of pot and aggression. I noticed the opposite of that all my years of smoking. Alcohol of course was different. Again, you have people that do not give a damn and no control over themselves with access to pot. These types cause trouble and when loaded on anything it can be worse. People with brain problems seek out drugs with pot being one of them.