What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

HARVEST - How to dry properly

mack 10

Veteran
I'm with you on the Bovedas, but I use a different make, which are set to 58%)

How you recharge those Bovedas?

Someone should post a Terp chart ,
Showing what temps they will evaporate at.

I hang either whole plant or large section's.
For 10/14days .
Then when the smaller stems snap they get put in bins (with small boveda like packs, which are set at 58%)till they are trimmed into jars.

Ideally each jar would have it's own moisture pack. (Boveda or similar make)

Keeping your flowers on the stem for as long as possible, gives best results.

Bovedas and hygrometers need to be in your toolkit.
Both are cheap and readily available,

You can get small round hygrometers too.

Bobby Boucher

You just introduce the packet to a high humidity environment. Put em elevated in a closed container of distilled water. Try not to saturate the paper with water. Weigh them to ensure they are fully hydrated. Each packet should return to its initial weight, which is listed in grams on the bottom of the packet.

If it's going to stay really humid out, I might not want fully saturated or brand new bovedas in my guitar cases, as they won't work as well to dehumidify the environment as semi-saturated boveda. Bovedas work both ways, unless they are totally wet or totally dry, in which case.. one will only hydrate where the other will only dehydrate. A bit of an over simplification, but I haven't gotten my coffee yet.

And just speaking from personal experience here with hygrometers, whatever you spend extra for a data logging feature is going to pay for itself in one way or another. Having a current temp/rh is nice, but not as nice as having your temp/rh automatically logged and charted every minute.

CaliberIV, $35. No data logging, no real time readings. Sensorpush, $50, all of the above.

Last edited:

Del_9_THC

Everyone has their own favorite method, and over time you will develop your own.

Before doing any cutting of plants...plan where you will hang/ dry them.

I have used many methods and the one that works best for me ( your mileage may vary) is to first strip off all the big fan leaves, then i cut back tons of the smaller leaves ( keeping sugared ones for making edibles,etc.. Then, when the plants have had a haircut trim, (think military basic training) so that it is buds on the branches, then cut large branches of buds to hang and hang each one before going back to cut next one. (You could cut them all and lay them down till hanging them, but I don't like to do that).

Basically, if you have used a well ventilated grow box to grow them in, then why not use it to dry them?

If you keep the fan/filters running for hours each day (I used to let them run ,sometimes 24 hours for first few days) that will dry them and exhaust the moisture out of tent, in nearly complete darkness. If you have some setups to test and control humidity, that might be an option, but I never have.

It is warm and dry here in summer and early autumn, so humidity is not an issue. However, rains like hell all winter long so, harvest in winter time you might need to heed the humidity.

I find that after about 1 week, I try to snap a stem,,if they snap,,then I either jar them or I cut the large foot long or more buds into smaller few gram sizes and then jar them. I use mason jars, and keep,then in cool dark place. Every now and then, I I'll open jars for short while, to air out the buds, and in about two months get some nicely cured smoke.

I used to like to keep really big long buds, but then you need way too many mason jars, so I cut them into smaller one-two-three gram sizes.....it makes storage so much easier....you can also cut the into smaller sizes well after the initial dry and cure, it's up to you.

That's about it simple, not much hassle, and you don't spend weeks farting around.

axle2u

Everyone has their own favorite method, and over time you will develop your own.

Before doing any cutting of plants...plan where you will hang/ dry them.

I have used many methods and the one that works best for me ( your mileage may vary) is to first strip off all the big fan leaves, then i cut back tons of the smaller leaves ( keeping sugared ones for making edibles,etc.. Then, when the plants have had a haircut trim, (think military basic training) so that it is buds on the branches, then cut large branches of buds to hang and hang each one before going back to cut next one. (You could cut them all and lay them down till hanging them, but I don't like to do that).

Basically, if you have used a well ventilated grow box to grow them in, then why not use it to dry them?

If you keep the fan/filters running for hours each day (I used to let them run ,sometimes 24 hours for first few days) that will dry them and exhaust the moisture out of tent, in nearly complete darkness. If you have some setups to test and control humidity, that might be an option, but I never have.

It is warm and dry here in summer and early autumn, so humidity is not an issue. However, rains like hell all winter long so, harvest in winter time you might need to heed the humidity.

I find that after about 1 week, I try to snap a stem,,if they snap,,then I either jar them or I cut the large foot long or more buds into smaller few gram sizes and then jar them. I use mason jars, and keep,then in cool dark place. Every now and then, I I'll open jars for short while, to air out the buds, and in about two months get some nicely cured smoke.

I used to like to keep really big long buds, but then you need way too many mason jars, so I cut them into smaller one-two-three gram sizes.....it makes storage so much easier....you can also cut the into smaller sizes well after the initial dry and cure, it's up to you.

That's about it simple, not much hassle, and you don't spend weeks farting around.

I like it....who needs to fart around...eh
lol.....right on bud....

Latest posts

Latest posts