What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What are you favorite trimming shears?

G

I just picked up another pair of the chikamasa 500sf and they are light years ahead of normal scissors for trimming. The guy who helped me trim tried using the "normal" orange scissors and then the chikamasa and he didn't wanan go back to the normals :D
I also ordered and just received a pair of these. Very nice. Wont be doing a harvest for a few more weeks but just to trim a few leaves they work nice. The blade isnt quite as long as the fiskers but thats not a big deal.

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
I also ordered and just received a pair of these. Very nice. Wont be doing a harvest for a few more weeks but just to trim a few leaves they work nice. The blade isnt quite as long as the fiskers but thats not a big deal.
I swear that post wasn't here when I hit the last page up. Or I'm more stoned than I thought :laughing: I hope you enjoy them as much as I love mine!

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
The past few years I've just been letting them dry a little and then trim. Too much work trying to knock out a few pounds in a night by yourself. The problem is the mold spreads and they take a lot longer to dry though. Trimming right after harvest does leave a bit of a grassy/chlorophyll taste and smell to the buds though. I found if you hang them for a few days first before trim you get a little bit of both worlds. Still fairly easy to work with but without as much green plant blood all over the place lol.
When you hang them you hang them "bud down" right? That's the way they "want" to hang tend to gravity. But if you can get them to hang "bud up", all those leaves will curl down once dry and be a lot easier to trim off, instead of curling down onto the bud.

CrushnYuba

Agreed on the dry trim flavor though. If I was doing it for my mom, it would be dry and by hand. But she's not around anymore so.... spinner is good enough for me and clients.

I really admire your home made trimmer. I have never used it, but i assume it works similar to my triminator. I bet you can get it dialed in by modifying your process and possibly the machine.

The first rounds i did with the triminator were ok, but i didn't get the results that i now do. Over the years i developed a technique with it.

You may be able to get your process and machine dialed in to get similar results. This is what i found to work the best. Hang 1ft ish branches without any fan leaf removed. Let it mostly dry so that outside is dry and firm but inside is still moist and stems are flexible. Buck it down and run it before you lose that internal moisture. If you want to cure it at that point, you can. Running it at that point seems to prevent damage to the bud. Once it's fully dry, the bud has more of a tendency to break apart into smalls.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
I really admire your home made trimmer. I have never used it, but i assume it works similar to my triminator. I bet you can get it dialed in by modifying your process and possibly the machine.

The first rounds i did with the triminator were ok, but i didn't get the results that i now do. Over the years i developed a technique with it.

You may be able to get your process and machine dialed in to get similar results. This is what i found to work the best. Hang 1ft ish branches without any fan leaf removed. Let it mostly dry so that outside is dry and firm but inside is still moist and stems are flexible. Buck it down and run it before you lose that internal moisture. If you want to cure it at that point, you can. Running it at that point seems to prevent damage to the bud. Once it's fully dry, the bud has more of a tendency to break apart into smalls.

Thanks. I'll try that. I also want to reduce the tension on the mesh though. It would do a better job if it was a little looser and would stop the bud from congregating at the ends. I'll get it eventually.

rizraz

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Man I know this sounds crazy but the Dollar Store (US only maybe?) sometimes has trimmers and green rubber plant ties. When I see them I decimate their inventory. They aren't great, but they aren't bad either and when they're a buck a pop who cares. I donate them after a couple of cycles.

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
Just noticed my typo in the thread title lol. But yeah, I think the Fiskars won some sort of award for being the best pruner for people with arthritis or something like that. I used regular scissors before and man was that a pain, literally. The Fiskars are very comfortable and easy on the hands. The cap they come with is also a nice touch.

To clean mine I soak the blades in rubbing alcohol and wipe them off with a paper towel or old rag. I know it's a waste of hash, but I could care less when there is a large pile of buds in front of me.

That jar of alky, if it is ETOh, will evaporate down to oil. I use it to clean my grinder. I can envision a trimmer with a couple pairs, soaking one pair (like they do at the barber shop), while the other is trimming.

JustSumTomatoes

Indicas make dreams happen
That jar of alky, if it is ETOh, will evaporate down to oil. I use it to clean my grinder. I can envision a trimmer with a couple pairs, soaking one pair (like they do at the barber shop), while the other is trimming.
I use isopropyl alcohol (C3H7OH,) not ethanol. The same principle applies where you can boil/evaporate it down and scrape up the hash on the bottom. :canabis:

wvkindbud38

Elite Growers Club
Veteran
Dollar Tree, the blue ones I got probably 10 pair. I've got a pair of fiskars that's pretty good but broke. But fiskars sent me a new pair. But those dollar tree ones are great and only 1$ it's hard to believe.

Latest posts

Latest posts