What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Food color your Cannabis (Rainbow Weed)

Grateful1

Pretty cool, def not for smoking tho :)

Hello fellow ICMag friends!

I wanted to share my findings from last years curiosities;
Coloring my cannabisšŸŒˆ

The first attempt was taking a small flower and letting the stem sit in a food color and water mixture of a single color. The flower took up some color but it was rather poorly shown.

I attempted a second time, but scratched the stem to expose the tissue under the rougher ā€œbarkā€ or ā€œhullā€. This time the colors were much more vibrant!

The smoking of the colored herb was terrible!!! I used no nutrients on my plants, just good old water, so the flavors were unparalleled. Unfortunately the coloring seemed to have ā€œclogged upā€ the breathability of the smoke, creating a black ash. Not to mention, who knows what dyes convert to when Iā€™m smoking them!

Visually appealing but I wouldnā€™t recommend it for smoking. Iā€™m inspired to take some white flowers from variegated cannabis and do a ā€˜Rainbow Roseā€™ coloring.:peacock:

Miasa Mura

i was just jesting, going for the serious reaction and happy to see organic colors. love all yall. i dont have any really good pics to share but have lota of ideas for resin art

edit i think its ok to grow and waste it, its a waste according to humans but it got to be alive and so its happy about that.
and wasting time feels like a very western idea in general.

Hey Sertaiz, I had a feeling you were being sarcastic:)

Do the art! Iā€™ve seen some really pretty resin art, the guy used pipe resin and a paper clip but the tree and elephant he did were stunning! You would have thought it was brown water color.

Miasa Mura

glycerine will preserve a bud at full size. I had a nice display some years ago. I also played about with colouring, and found it terrible to smoke when I inevitably tried.

I imagine people are being a little rude, as they just don't understand art. Believing pot is only for getting high. I grow a lot of outdoor simply as I enjoy it. Last year I had two sites I didn't even chop down. The horror lol

Hey f-e!
Thanks for the tip on the glycerine preservation. Yeah I would not recommend smoking or eating dyed flower of any kind :)

Thank you for your support! I understand where people are coming from and while I donā€™t disagree with the fact that cannabis has all the colors of the rainbow already available, Iā€™m an artist and a cannabis cultivator. I love growing herb just to see what a strain is all about too. Leaving the plants is a great way to see how resistant the genetics are to molds, pest and weather. Itā€™s nice to give a little something back to the earth as well.

Keep up the good work!

Miasa Mura

I once used juice for flavoring, wasn't a good idea, thanks for the experiments!

Itā€™s fun to do little things with some bottom nugs. I read an article about someone cutting a small branch & then soaking the stem in vanilla flavoring before drying. Iā€™m not a fan of flowers absorbing anything other than water if itā€™s for smoking though... I donā€™t even feed my plants for the last 5 weeks of flowering :)

Hookahhead

Wow I'm surprised so many people chimed in with negative comments given you gave a pretty clear disclaimer that this experiment wasn't intended for consumption. I liked seeing what parts of the plant readily took up the dye, i also enjoyed seeing the unnatural but recognizable leaf photos. They looked photoshopped, I would totally enjoy having one framed and hung on the wall.

There are water soluable terpene and canabinoid products on the market...

Miasa Mura

Wow I'm surprised so many people chimed in with negative comments given you gave a pretty clear disclaimer that this experiment wasn't intended for consumption. I liked seeing what parts of the plant readily took up the dye, i also enjoyed seeing the unnatural but recognizable leaf photos. They looked photoshopped, I would totally enjoy having one framed and hung on the wall.

There are water soluable terpene and canabinoid products on the market...

Thank you for your support Hookahhead! Iā€™m excited to try this with Albino buds and frame that. :)

festerous

Veteran
If you are going to go full retard and dye your buds, you might as well dye them with Mimosa Hostilis.

Joe Rogan will at least make a podcast about it.

big315smooth

mama tried
Veteran
hey miasa you ever coat a nug in clear poxy resin to preserve it. thought about it doing it and framing a collection of em. thought it be cool

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
Back in the day a grower around here used Kool aid and the buds looked electric purple and tasted like grape Kool aid as to be expected.

I'm all for cannabis art. As long as you aren't going to smoke it rock on!

Miasa Mura

Back in the day a grower around here used Kool aid and the buds looked electric purple and tasted like grape Kool aid as to be expected.

I'm all for cannabis art. As long as you aren't going to smoke it rock on!

All for art :)

Thatā€™s shitty! Selling people herb thatā€™s been tainted with flavors, dyes or otherwise is dispicable! Thanks for the support