What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Thai Stick/Cannagar Leaf prep

MD84

Hi all, so i'm seeing all these lovely looking Cannagars online but folk seem to be very secretive with their leaf preperation techniques. So i was hoping to get a little discussion going in here describing the different methods being used. So far i've heard people washing leaves with a quick iso/water mixture. Using leaves straight from the plant and letting them 'cure. Or 'curing' the leaves before use and others. Which method are you using? What do you find gets rid of any nasty taste that might come from the leaf the best? Thanks for any help

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Water cure the leaves and dry flattened lightly. Read cigar forums. Loads of information there. Like flattening ridges.

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
thai stick is ridiculously easy to make

traditonally they used wispy buds wet at harvest time and mold them around a stem (liek a reverse joint) and tie them with a twine made from same plant (pulling strips from stem)

I had promised a long time ago to make some and do a tutorial and keep on forgetting to do it when time is most appropriate

next harvest will be a good opportunity to try it again if I remember to do it I will wrap a few and take some snaps

thailer

i tried making thai sticks once with bamboo skewers that you can remove and it leaves air holes to smoke the cigar. it turned into a gooey mess but i have all the supplies currently... :smokeit:

i have this plant that has three finger wide blades on the leaves. i'm guessing thick blades would work better over thinner leaf varieties? thanks for sharing mikell

MD84

My first attempt went pretty well. But i just used leaves that had not undergone any process and left the cannagar to cure for a couple of weeks. I was surprised how little you could actually taste the chlorophyll from the leaves but it was still noticeable. I'd like to remove it next time like i see these guys doing on insta for a better flavour.

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Check Leira on IG. If you go back to his early posts he inadvertently drops a few hints. To get that smooth cuban style skin I believe he is removing leaf ridges and sort of polishing the cannagar with a block.

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
Weird, do you mind doing your tutorial.

I have ordered cannagar mold. My main question is like the the OP. How to manage the leaves.

Roll with fresh leaves then cure the whole cannagar? In my mind I would think that the leaves would tighten up as they dried.

There's lots of different styles. Some only use kief wrapped in rosin wrapped in leaf.
Some use flower for the bulk of the body, some use a mix.
Most use a small "sheet" of concentrate and wrap the body.

I read about some folks take wax or rosin and add a few drops of alcohol to make thin enough to brush on as a glue. Then the ethanol evaps off as cannagar dries.

I think I will do that style, I don't need massive amounts of wax in the cigar, just enough to hold it together. It won't burn as long as slow, but I would think it would be a more enjoyable smoke.

Has anybody experimented in the past year since thread was started?

Chi13

ICMag Donor
By all means call this a cannagar. Thai stick it isn't. Thai sticks are extinct and haven't been seen since the early 80s. The magic of Thai sticks was in the genetics. Calling this Thai Stick cheapens the original and just adds to the general misinformation about cannabis.

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
Weird, do you mind doing your tutorial.

I have ordered cannagar mold. My main question is like the the OP. How to manage the leaves.

Roll with fresh leaves then cure the whole cannagar? In my mind I would think that the leaves would tighten up as they dried.

There's lots of different styles. Some only use kief wrapped in rosin wrapped in leaf.
Some use flower for the bulk of the body, some use a mix.
Most use a small "sheet" of concentrate and wrap the body.

I read about some folks take wax or rosin and add a few drops of alcohol to make thin enough to brush on as a glue. Then the ethanol evaps off as cannagar dries.

I think I will do that style, I don't need massive amounts of wax in the cigar, just enough to hold it together. It won't burn as long as slow, but I would think it would be a more enjoyable smoke.

Has anybody experimented in the past year since thread was started?

You don't need any of that since it is done traditionally when the bud is wet