What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Cannabis strains for insomnia?

JustSumTomatoes

Indicas make dreams happen
Is there any place to get the old Black Domina seeds? Seems like there are a lot of old genetics that are great but have been lost.

clearheaded

First question, who said β-myrcene has a "sleepy/couchlock effect" and/or implied it's the only one responsible for that? (hint, more contribute, even Dr. Ethan Russo said lately :biggrin:).

Second question, who/what lead you to believe that letting broad leaves and BL Hybrids longer would give you that so linearly? It's a plant! She doesn't care what you think, she does what she wants/ she's wired to do biologically and for this conversation Chemically.

Testing IS/WILL always necessary on each given cultivar/varietal be it lab tested, be it "head" tested on preference. Change your environment and you change even more the variables, even with the same cutting. Might seem overwhelming, but in the end it will be one of the things that saves cannabis as a craft...:dance013:

cheers:tiphat:

what it does produce more of, letting indicas going long that is, is CBN a potent sleepy time cannibinoid :) ie indicas ripining sooner (perhaps degrading sooner) tend to have more CBN not cbd which leads to some of teh couchlock effects, with myrcene playing a small part. but cbn is potent...

urkle, urkle x indica crosses. Humboldt purple snow (Urkle x humboldt snow) and sugar black rose (black domina x critical mass) are both heavy indicas that I grew.

xet

Alien OG made me pass out on the back porch many nights.

Cheese is by far the strongest sleep weed for me. 3-2-1 drool soaked pillow

Lost in a SOG

GrassSnakeGenetics
Affies are good for insomnia.. Herijuana and fugu kush often put me to sleep.

From what i've seen first hand a great across the board insomnia "cure" you really want to sleep get the following herbs in a tincture or tea or powdered capsule and mix at these parts:

Lime blossom (Tilia europea) 3
passion flower (passiflora incarnata) 1
Ashwagandha (Withania somniferum) 1
valerian (valeriana offic.) 1
hop flowers (humulus lupus) 2
Vervain (Verbena offic.) 2

You could also add 2 parts German Chamomile (Matricaria recutita) if you are partial to it, it's possibly the most anti inflammatory herb Matricaria so drink up! This is the kind of blend a trained western herbalist might advise anywhere in the world. I'm willing to bet this blend would put a horse to sleep, i've not tried that yet though :D

Other advice would be:

Your circadian rhythm is most often set by your eating patterns as well as the sunlight itself so make sure you are eating 3 good sized meals throughout your day.

The bodies natural balance of cortisol/DHEA and melatonin is best reset by embracing the day pattern, practice healthy living routines. Wake when the sun wakes, stare into it so that the blue light hitting your retina and by proxy your pineal gland signals morning, do the same at dusk.

Avoid wearing sunglasses all day and staring at screens at night! It will fuck your brain.

NO screens after 10pm, ideally after the sun has gone down as that blue light will fuck your circadian rhythm. Avoid coffee as well.

Make sure your living space isn't bathed in none native electromagnetic frequenices, wifi/bluetooth etc as that also screws with, and is screwing with more and more, a huge percentage of the human race as they are being irritated on a cellular level as they are slowly microwaved. For some a trip camping might achieve many of these things but there are lots of really good answers beyond pot.

Happy sleeping :coffee:

Granddaddy Purple, Tahoe OG, Northern Lights, Romulan, William's Wonder...anything with "OG," "Kush" or "Afghan" in the name is probably a safe bet too. And it seems like grape, blueberry, blackberry & lavender-smelling strains tend to be more on the sedating side because of the terp profile. Heck, you could probably get a good sleep from pure CBD products or a strong hemp strain with little-to-no THC even. Cherry Wine and Therapy Tea are 50-state-legal & have 14-19% CBD, respectively.

But everyone's different. I tend to get most sleepy from lemon-scented Sativas. Go figure :D

Lost in a SOG

GrassSnakeGenetics
Also candle light in the evening as it has a similar spectrum to dusk sunlight and essential oils to reset the lymbic system. Lavender essential oil as a great example initiates peripheral circulation into the capillary bed and hugely relieves the Liver which does about 400 things for you.

And if people are waking up in the night at a certain time you could also note what time it is because in Traditional Chinese medicine they have a surprisingly accurate organ/system clock. The time you wake up at indicates the organ that is imbalanced. May seem crazy to some but i've found it useful in practice, and TCM has about 3000-5000 years of first hand experimentation under its belt.

GoatCheese

Veteran
Is there any place to get the old Black Domina seeds? Seems like there are a lot of old genetics that are great but have been lost.
Sweet Seeds S.A.D. is Black Domina S1 line from tha famous Spanish '98 BD cut, i believe.

World Of Seeds offer Black Domina x afghan Kush which could be good sleep meds, thou i haven't grown these personally, only their Afghan Kush.

O-A Seeds from Spain offer Black Domina fem seeds as "bulk", which are fairly cheap, but i have no idea how's the quality

Phaeton

Speed of Dark
Veteran
When growing both Black Domina and Black Russian the end result from smoking was rated the same for both.
I do not know genetics but both are sold as 'Black', is that part of the go to sleep gene?

1. Edibles. Strong ones. Knocks me out every time.
2. For flowers, herijuana. Almost edible like effect. I chillum bowl was enough to put me to nap city every time if I finished it. Hope this helps.

Even edibles from trash mex brick will probably get the job done. Before Sensimilla was a thing that’s all we ever used and oh boy it did the trick. Mex brick edibles made me scared to eat any edible again for over a decade.

JustSumTomatoes

I struggle with sleep all the time. Have for about 15 years now. I fit the description of all those symptoms to a tee. Thanks for the recommendations, hopefully my state will add insomnia to the list of conditions that can be treated with cannabis so I could become a med patient. Home grow would be nice too if they ever allow it.

JustSumTomatoes

Has anyone had experience with all or mostly CBD strains? I'm in an insomnia support group and everyone seems to be really talking up all these CDB oils and products. I have some CBD Therapy beans I plan on popping this season to make some oil of my own.