What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Malawi Style Cob Curing.

early_hominid

Ok, y'all weren't kidding about the first smell of the cobs after the hot sweat... amazing!

Here's some bangi haze after 18 hrs @ 40.5C. Going to take some patience not to sample right away
IMG_6458(1).jpeg

Tangwena

Veteran
Ok, y'all weren't kidding about the first smell of the cobs after the hot sweat... amazing!

Here's some bangi haze after 18 hrs @ 40.5C. Going to take some patience not to sample right away
View attachment 18906902
Beautiful color change there your on a winner my friend.
Bangi Haze is perfect for this cure from what I've read, real Congo effect.

Tangwena

Veteran
Sometimes I like to get out my cheap USB microscope to see whats cooking ha ha.
These shots are from Mulanje that was harvested a year ago 3 different levels of dry produced 3 different levels of high all good in their own way.
First up the driest cure very euphoric and spacey no paranoia.
You can see lots of white, honey and caramel colors.
pict0013-web.jpg
pict0014-web.jpg
pict0016-web.jpg
pict0017-web.jpg

Tangwena

Veteran
Lastly my favorite for space cadet trips. I forget completely any problems or worries and come back refreshed like after a good holiday.
A trip on this is very medicinal you are somewhere else somewhere beautiful for a day.
As a famous beer add goes "from where you would rather be"
Get the right plant cured this way is as strong as pot can get IMO.

pict0003-web.jpg
pict0004-web.jpg
pict0007-web.jpg

Buzzzzd

Lastly my favorite for space cadet trips. I forget completely any problems or worries and come back refreshed like after a good holiday
Now, that is what I am chasing!!!!!:) Beautiful shots.
As I sample some of my cobs I am thinking that I don't need to compress as much as I am, or possibly, dry as much between stages. They seem pretty darn hard when I try to chew and the Candy coating isn't adding any moisture. Sure helps the flavour tho !!! My next experiment might involve Strawberry jam!!!:unsure:
At this point I have 21 cobs and may do a couple more just to sample different plants. I still have a couple of plants to harvest.
The Odyssey continues.....

Airloom

Veteran
With the finished cob material able to be ingested and yield psychoactive effects, this has to mean that the cobbing process decarboxylates the THC unlike simply curing buds which doesn't. Eating cured buds in my experience (I tried it once) and to my knowledge won't yield psychoactivity since the cured buds are not decarbed.
I think this is a spot on explainer for dummies like me.

I had de-carbed some Stardawg for a friend that had serious WPM. (He nearly died doing some treework and now has compromised immune system)

I suggested he not smoke at all. I read up on decarboxylating and your description is accurate. The conversion of THC is heat activated and results in many levels of psychoactivity and results. It is an essential part of extracting effects from cannabis. It is pure science but as others have said far more eloquently, it is ancient knowledge and as varied as human culture. Any heat applied to cannabis flower will transform it. It is all relative and subjective IMHO, which can lead to community or controversy. If we focus on the art, we get communities like this thread. When we focus on the science we lean towards controversy (again just my opinion)

As Antoine de St Xupery (the Little Prince) said “It is only with the heart that one sees rightly, what is essential is invisible to the eye”

This is from memory so the quotes are just to attribute the source.

We have tamed the plant, so now we are responsible for it……

👨‍🌾

CDNINCA

Lastly my favorite for space cadet trips. I forget completely any problems or worries and come back refreshed like after a good holiday.
A trip on this is very medicinal you are somewhere else somewhere beautiful for a day.
As a famous beer add goes "from where you would rather be"
Get the right plant cured this way is as strong as pot can get IMO.

View attachment 18907054 View attachment 18907055 View attachment 18907056
@Tangwena , Sheesh brother, that looks incredible, they ALL look incredible. I think I need to get a USB scope too, the jewelers loupe that I use for checking trichomes pales in its ability to get great closeups like these! Thanks for sharing brother!
I've got two plants that are in jars for final curing/ humidity distribution and control to get them ready for cobbing, and a couple of more yet to come! I can't wait to join the others here with new cobs underway, and for those in the "other" hemisphere I suspect the anticipation of planting the new crop is underway. I truly enjoy that phase too- a great hobby that keeps on giving!
On another note, I'm beginning to think that folks who like to cob have great taste in dinnerware patterns, as well as a penchant for all things cobbing, I dig them! Just observing...:)

CobPlateEarlyH.jpeg

CobPlateTang.jpg

Last edited:

ost

View attachment 18906902
if you wait in a few months ,the high will be the reward, much better ,i have a couple i am waiting to hit 6 months, that may need to go 9.

ost

@Tangwena , Sheesh brother, that looks incredible, they ALL look incredible. I think I need to get a USB scope too, the jewelers loupe that I use for checking trichomes pales in its ability to get great closeups like these! Thanks for sharing brother!
I've got two plants that are in jars for final curing/ humidity distribution and control to get them ready for cobbing, and a couple of more yet to come! I can't wait to join the others here with new cobs underway, and for those in the "other" hemisphere I suspect the anticipation of planting the new crop is underway. I truly enjoy that phase too- a great hobby that keeps on giving!
On another note, I'm beginning to think that folks who like to cob have great taste in dinnerware patterns, as well as a penchant for all things cobbing, I dig them! Just observing...:)

View attachment 18907232

View attachment 18907231
looks kinda like a mouse has been off in those two, test chews ,i'll bet!

ost

if you wait in a few months ,the high will be the reward, much better ,i have a couple i am waiting to hit 6 months, that may need to go 9.my friend got a cob at 3 months old he has'nt smoked steady in the past 20 years,i told him about the nickel size plug , he went with a fifty cent chunck ,his wife ask him at supper time if he was stoned , he has yet to tell me every thing that was said, there son has had a bad drinking problem along with a powder problem. now she won't smoke, i know she did at one time because, i have made many a party with them.

Abdthi1966

Premium user
420giveaway
After reading this thread for months here we go. I went my own way with the binding but it’s very tight. The smaller chubs were rammed with a pvc pipe and are the equivalent of about 2 ounces a piece. Excited to see how these turn out. Thanks for all the great info guys!

Attachments

• IMG_6659.jpeg
    IMG_6659.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 41

CDNINCA

After reading this thread for months here we go. I went my own way with the binding but it’s very tight. The smaller chubs were rammed with a pvc pipe and are the equivalent of about 2 ounces a piece. Excited to see how these turn out. Thanks for all the great info guys!
Welcome @Abdthi1966 !! Those look quite impressive and have all the makings of spectacular cobs! At 2 oz's apiece, they should be successful, and tasty too. I think it's logical to create bigger cobs just in case you really like them, more to enjoy later on rather than going through it too quickly! Please keep us informed of your progress, cheers!

Sweatloaf

This is my favorite thread. I'm grateful for the free, willing and helpful exchange of information. I also like this thread because it gives me a little giddy chuckle. I grew up smoking nothing but well fermented weed 3 decades ago because that's all you could buy. A lot of it was goooood! Good smoking, good tasting and smooth. Cobbing makes sense to me for that reason. Bitey green chlorophyll bud just isn't my friend. I just don't like it.