What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Microscopy

foomar

Luddite
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Even if you never use it to examine microfauna and bacteria , its a wonderfull thing to have around if you have children or grandchildren , and one of the best presents you could give an intelligent child.

My old scopes have been passed around and started a few scientists along the way , get them off the playstation and give them a sense of wonder and exploration that hopefully lasts.

Dont give them a cheap nasty toy as it will put them off for life , second hand of solid build is best option , worse they can do is wind an objective through a slide and they learn fast young.

danielJackson

Thank you for this great thread! Here is a link to a short video about choosing a microscope for soil biology; as far as I could tell all of the info was consistent with what MM recommends.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSLWx-u_b1I

After learning from both sources I have still been having some trouble actually finding a scope for a decent price with all the required features.

Any recommendations on a source that will let you mix and match the lenses to get you what you want?

Either that or a model that actually comes with what we need, without much extra. I don't plan on using the scope for things other then gardening. The camera sounds cool, but I don't want it if it is crappy.

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thank you for this great thread! Here is a link to a short video about choosing a microscope for soil biology; as far as I could tell all of the info was consistent with what MM recommends.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSLWx-u_b1I

After learning from both sources I have still been having some trouble actually finding a scope for a decent price with all the required features.

Any recommendations on a source that will let you mix and match the lenses to get you what you want?

Either that or a model that actually comes with what we need, without much extra. I don't plan on using the scope for things other then gardening. The camera sounds cool, but I don't want it if it is crappy.

You must be kidding?:tumbleweed: There is a link within this very thread. I'm not allowed to post it because it is my site.

B

BugJar

search me? results turned out to be illuminating for certain

without A SINGLE discussion of Hemocytometers, proper cell counting techniques and staining methods, These microscopes people are recommending/buying are about as helpful to gardening as a telescope.

Sometimes we all need a reality check.

You are not a scientist. Your Methods are extremely sloppy. Any evidence you have presented must be discounted as anecdotal at best. And your contextual references to yourself as a microbiological/microcosmic god are narcissistic and laughable.

You NEED to seriously re-evaluate the way you represent our culture, science, and yourself.

I am sorry but things have got to change for the good of everyone. I say all of this with love and respect.

DARC MIND

Veteran
. How does one truly attempt the make good compost or tea without one? I am genuinely curious if people have means of testing the content of compost tea without a microscope.
our senses help, visual decomposers and or hyphae , rich humus earthy aroma, moist but not soaked to touch, darc black in color are good signs of quality compost to active humus
picture.php

picture.php

proper air,water & feeds makes this
picture.php

plenty of tutorials on going about, most kats go beyond simple compost tea but that's another story

yet the results is were I think what matters most

imo growing this plant, is a lot easier then many of these forums make it out to be.. some enjoy seeing this as a art form were others a science

some go about working with wholes & synthesizing
others do fine by analyzing & separating individual parts

anonymousgrow

our senses help, visual decomposers and or hyphae , rich humus earthy aroma, moist but not soaked to touch, darc black in color are good signs of quality compost to active humus
View Image

View Image

proper air,water & feeds makes this
View Image
plenty of tutorials on going about, most kats go beyond simple compost tea but that's another story

yet the results is were I think what matters most
[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/attachment.php?attachmentid=198990&thumb=1&d=1356111411]View Image[/URL] [URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/attachment.php?attachmentid=198991&thumb=1&d=1356111411]View Image[/URL]
imo growing this plant, is a lot easier then many of these forums make it out to be.. some enjoy seeing this as a art form were others a science

some go about working with wholes & synthesizing
others do fine by analyzing & separating individual parts
Hey man,
Thanks for the response.
I agree we can see and smell good compost to an extent, but I have seen some nasty reduced waste full of actinobacteria that the gardener though was great compost because of its dark color and the layers of actinobacteria were mistaken for fungal hyphae.

How do you identify if there are adequate predetors in your compost ie protists?

And as far as compost teas go, I would, say most of the recipes and brewers I see on this site all have the same problem. Not enough DO and too much food. I can't tell unless I use a DO meter or a microscope preferably a microscope; maybe scent to some degree. What do you think?

DARC MIND

Veteran
i honestly don't stress on IDing individual parts nor think ACT if done wrong is necessarily going to kill plants.. people make poop tea with no care what so ever about the life in and do just fine
its all over the boards!

thers many websites and detailed information dedicated to methods of going about compost, vermicomposting and all that.

that was the hands on approach i took and my results maynot be scientific valued but that never was the point to begin with

imho
most guru's stressing quality compost imo can tell its good with out fancy gadgets just like we can grow a "weed" with out a ec,tds etc

O

OrganicOzarks

You will never know if you compost tea is "high quality" without a scope. There is no question of this. It is a fact.

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
search me? results turned out to be illuminating for certain

without A SINGLE discussion of Hemocytometers, proper cell counting techniques and staining methods, These microscopes people are recommending/buying are about as helpful to gardening as a telescope.

Sometimes we all need a reality check.

You are not a scientist. Your Methods are extremely sloppy. Any evidence you have presented must be discounted as anecdotal at best. And your contextual references to yourself as a microbiological/microcosmic god are narcissistic and laughable.

You NEED to seriously re-evaluate the way you represent our culture, science, and yourself.

I am sorry but things have got to change for the good of everyone. I say all of this with love and respect.

Bugjar; What is up your ass? What methods do you speak of?

Please elucidate? If you look at my signature you will see a link to the Microcosmic God.

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Darc is right, as usual. It is difficult to make a bad compost tea and the nose knows, as I've said repeatedly. I've also said repeatedly that one does not require a microscope to do great gardening and I grow weary of the pathetically stupid comments about what someone's grandmother did. All a microscope does is enable one to view the basic microorganisms in their soil, compost or CT. It may help one to understand what gramma was doing.

For one who wants to do cell counting I have actually outlined this and send out a formula for this specific to the scopes. Staining, which Bughead is talking about is not really necessary at this level, especially when there is so much activity.

One can use staining to determine respiration when unsure about whether bacteria or fungi are active. It is also used to see AM infection. It is pretty old fashioned for most other functions which have been replaced with DNA techniques.

I confess that I do not teach nor supply equipment for this.

bobblehead

Veteran
I think anyone willing to spend the money on a microscope should be smart enough to buy a lab manual... I don't need someone on the internet to tell me how to study microbiology. I went to college for that.

Darc is right, as usual. It is difficult to make a bad compost tea and the nose knows, as I've said repeatedly. I've also said repeatedly that one does not require a microscope to do great gardening and I grow weary of the pathetically stupid comments about what someone's grandmother did. All a microscope does is enable one to view the basic microorganisms in their soil, compost or CT. It may help one to understand what gramma was doing.

For one who wants to do cell counting I have actually outlined this and send out a formula for this specific to the scopes. Staining, which Bughead is talking about is not really necessary at this level, especially when there is so much activity.

One can use staining to determine respiration when unsure about whether bacteria or fungi are active. It is also used to see AM infection. It is pretty old fashioned for most other functions which have been replaced with DNA techniques.

I confess that I do not teach nor supply equipment for this.

This is presumptuous,don't you think?I was asking a ? Deleted do to ignorance of the facts

Last edited:

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Mr Fastcast; If I am here to make money, since 2008 it certainly is not working very well. I think a lot of people buy the free stuff. There is no Co.

I have explained previously that Microcosmic God is my favorite Si-Fi story. There is a link to it in my signature but it seems non-functional presently.