What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Fermenting, burying, traditional curing.

Carraxe

Veteran
That's it now, after just 6 days. It's became browner compared with the same weed unfermented, but I'd have to wait till it totally dries for proper comparison. Anyway it looks fast.
I'll probably take it to dry before the month.

Carraxe

Veteran
I got very nice results in less than two weeks. I'm currently doing a process that is similar as tabacco curing, but I just don't let the plants finish drying. Instead of that, I just start the fermentation pressing wet buds (after 5-6 days of natural drying) inside a plastic bag.

I'd like to know how it goes without any heat, just the about 20ºC indoors. Probably the results are better in quality, but they still need more time to change colour.

That's what I got:

One week fermenting:

Different weed, after 11 days:

Comparison between the green (original), left (same one processed) and right, the one-week-fermented weed.

Results are great in smell, effect and taste, and I'm still evolving.
Cheers

Jhhnn

Veteran
This reminds me of a method I first learned about in an underground comic book called "Dr Atomic's Pipe and Dope Book" that came out in the mid 1970s. I tried it back then and had good results. IIRC the process begins with a sweat cure. The plants are cut in the morning early, laid on the ground, and covered with a tarp. They are allowed to heat up in the sun for a day or two. Then the tarp is removed and the plants are gathered up. The branches are cut to lengths of 10 to 20 inches. These are then rolled up in thick rolls of newspapers, which are tied up with string. These log-like rolls of weed are then sun dried. Seems like we just put them in our cars and rolled up the windows, so the temperature inside that time of year was maybe 100 - 110 degrees F. After a few days the strings are cut and the paper logs unrolled. My recollection is that the flavor was greatly improved, and the color changed from dark green to light to medium brown.

Once, long ago, my grow friends & I had a paranoia attack, left a big half open trash bag full of freshly chopped plants hanging in a hot stuffy attic for about a month. The cure was remarkable- the usual hay taste of our homegrown was gone, and the stuff was golden brown & supple, tasty & potent. It wouldn't crumble at first, had to use a knife on a cutting board. Had to let it dry a little more for joints to stay lit.

I think maybe that the high temps inhibit mold, dunno. It was a total accident, but indicative that fermentation cures have merit... I've long suspected that the Colombian Red of old underwent a fermentation cure.

Carraxe

Veteran
Hi
I've finished a two-week cold wet fermentation on a Jack Herer harvest and I got the best results ever. Near black weed with supersmooth nice taste, and still smelling like old cured Jack Herer. I pressed the buds that had been drying for 4 days as much as I could inside a plastic bag on a mason jar, and I waited two weeks. I'm sure it can be done in less days depending on the degree of colour you want. After fermenting, drying took just a couple of days.

It is interesting that heat isn't necessary. I've found the cold fermentation to be much better to preserve flavours and smells.

Cheers

D

DHF

Anyone that`s ever kept fully dried and cured dope in jars in cool dark pantry type surroundings instead of in frozen suspended animation , will testify that after 6-12 months strain dependent the product will turn colors from chlorophyll degradation and be brown/goldish on it`s own and will have developed waaay different flavor and taste profiles from the original specimen......and....

I was also a product of the 70`s influx of major imported Mex/Columbian/Jamacan with every color of the rainbow product that was fully seeded but awesome outrageously strong dope , including the duffel bags my boys in the military brought back from Viet Nam , Cambodia , and Thailand.....but.....

Never had no Malawi cobs , but I can attest first hand eye witness to what I saw on many different occasions when I traveled south with my uncle on his "fishin and shrimpin" escapades to Central and South America during the mid summer harvest cycles which were the best products since the shit grew yr round with 4 harvests per yr.....Anyways....

All the "mota" farmers brought their crops to the "Campesino`s" ranch where women and children bucked and semi-trimmed the Sativa-zilla`s and hybrid plants into trimmable limbs and colas and were piled up in the sun...and then.....

They turned the shit with pitchforks daily to prevent fermentation and causing a "heat" so the shit wouldn`t spontaneously combust since there was tons and tons of wet dope all piled up everywhere...and then.....

After a couple weeks , we got the tour and picked out what we wanted after the final trimmings were done before they bricked and baled each different pile for exportation....and I`ve gotta say.....

As picky as we are these days about how careful we are about preventing molds and mildews from forming on drying/curing dope , it was mainstream back then and never a concern.....and......

No offense but.....I long for the old dope...Can`t get shit like that anymore , and why ?....I think it`s got a whole lot ta do with this original thread posting bout how yas go about transforming THC`s and CBD`s and CBN`s and so on and so forth.....but....

I applaud anyone`s effort to try and make 1 product better with experimentation in the drying/curing process......Hell......I`ll roll a log up in a corn cob and bury it in a heartbeat.....just ain`t got one......

Not many folks can hold onto shit long enough to see what happens over time with weed once it gets 62% RH and then either vacuum sealed or jarred without freezing and put in suspended animation......anyways...

Nuff outta my old ass this day........Ya`ll build some cobs.....Respect...and.....

Peace....DHF......:ying:.....

TheArchitect

Veteran
yup,

after every harvest i set aside buds at perfect cure.

i dont touch them for months and when i come back they are a golden or tan color instead of green, and the smoke is smoother.

dont know about potency changes though, that id want to see empirical evidence.

D

DHF

yup,

after every harvest i set aside buds at perfect cure.

i dont touch them for months and when i come back they are a golden or tan color instead of green, and the smoke is smoother.

dont know about potency changes though, that id want to see empirical evidence.
Couldn`t agree more TA....All I`ve ever seen was flavor , smell , and color profiles change , but......

I still stand by the dope of yester year bein waaaaay more potent than the polyhybrids of the present day.....Just can`t get that shit anymore.....anyways.....my 2 cents from all them yrs.....

Peace....DHF.....:ying:.....

Last edited:

TheArchitect

Veteran
Couldn`t agree more TA....All I`ve ever seen was flavor , taste , and color profiles change , but......

I still stand by the dope of yester year bein waaaaay more potent than the polyhybrids of the present day.....Just can`t get that shit anymore.....anyways.....my 2 cents from all them yrs.....

Peace....DHF.....:ying:.....

Yea, I still remember getting some mexi brick that was one hitter quitter, dick in the dirt, head in space type shit.

I think that racy, no ceiling, sativa high is awesome, but like you say far and few between today.

Damn, now I'm going to be hitting up the seed banks, I think ace seeds has some pure landrace sativas......

Carraxe

Veteran
Hi
I think that those who claim the lack of properties of nowadays' weed should think about three possibilities, being the first one the development of tolerance along the years. I remember to have strong psychedelic experiences even with low quality hash, in my first years of use, that in no way I'm having again even with the strongest weeds.

The second thing I think about is the curing time. I find very difficult to save weed for more than a few of months. We'd get better and stronger weed if I could cure it for a year, with or without fermentation.

And the third would be the strain. Probably the weeds whose effects you remember are pure sativas really well cured. It is difficult now to find real sativas, but if you plant something like destroyer, some thai, etc, give them their time to mature (maybe from 12 weeks to 20 for some) and have them properly curing for a year you'll get what you seek for.

Cheers and flowers

PS: taste is great when you ferment it in cold conditions. In some way, it is different, but for sure much smoother and better to smoke.

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
Hi
I think that those who claim the lack of properties of nowadays' weed should think about three possibilities, being the first one the development of tolerance along the years. I remember to have strong psychedelic experiences even with low quality hash, in my first years of use, that in no way I'm having again even with the strongest weeds.

The second thing I think about is the curing time. I find very difficult to save weed for more than a few of months. We'd get better and stronger weed if I could cure it for a year, with or without fermentation.

And the third would be the strain. Probably the weeds whose effects you remember are pure sativas really well cured. It is difficult now to find real sativas, but if you plant something like destroyer, some thai, etc, give them their time to mature (maybe from 12 weeks to 20 for some) and have them properly curing for a year you'll get what you seek for.

Cheers and flowers

PS: taste is great when you ferment it in cold conditions. In some way, it is different, but for sure much smoother and better to smoke.
what about number 4 ,
it was grown in a place cannabis likes more than most places folks on this thread live ..
ie ,, the tropical belt ..
it will be the missing ingredient ....

Rinse

Veteran
Very nice results on the jack herer Carraxe, I will try that method on my next harvest, the key then is fresh moist bud, just not too moist.

This missing ingredient being...?

Spectrum's N' wavelengths... Makes for buds of wavey introspection lol...It is both genetics and environment that determine end product. Environment shapes the genetics and some genes can get turned on or off within one generation.

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
This missing ingredient being...?
ummm enviroment and climate ,
everyone keeps asking about that old sativa and why it was so good,
my theory is where it was grown that made it so good ...

Colombia , Thailand etc ,
what did they have in common ???

Carraxe

Veteran
Very nice results on the jack herer Carraxe, I will try that method on my next harvest, the key then is fresh moist bud, just not too moist.

Spectrum's N' wavelengths... Makes for buds of wavey introspection lol...It is both genetics and environment that determine end product. Environment shapes the genetics and some genes can get turned on or off within one generation.

If you try, just try to do it in a mason jar. There is risk of mold after some days, so you can keep an eye on it. I found an indian recipe that states that pressing and fermenting should be just done for three days. Probably one week is OK, but it took near two to become black. I'm doing one now that I'll keep for a week to compare.

ummm enviroment and climate ,
everyone keeps asking about that old sativa and why it was so good,
my theory is where it was grown that made it so good ...

Colombia , Thailand etc ,
what did they have in common ???

I still think we can mimic these conditions indoors. If you think about some environment/climate related feature we can't reproduce indoors please let me know. For example, there isn't scientific evidence yet on UV effects on plants, but you can install UV lamps indoors and mimic the tropic's radiation.

Cheers

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
If you try, just try to do it in a mason jar. There is risk of mold after some days, so you can keep an eye on it. I found an indian recipe that states that pressing and fermenting should be just done for three days. Probably one week is OK, but it took near two to become black. I'm doing one now that I'll keep for a week to compare.

I still think we can mimic these conditions indoors. If you think about some environment/climate related feature we can't reproduce indoors please let me know. For example, there isn't scientific evidence yet on UV effects on plants, but you can install UV lamps indoors and mimic the tropic's radiation.

Cheers
unfortunately you cant mimic the tropics indoors ,
those lights are nothing like the sun in the tropics ,

if you could ,, everyones sativas would be looking wayyy better than they are ,
they all show signs of displeasure of their enviroment imho ..
(elongated flowering times , bud etc ..)

not saying you cant grow good potent sativa indoors ,
its just not the same as outdoor tropical grown gunja ..

Carraxe

Veteran
unfortunately you cant mimic the tropics indoors ,
those lights are nothing like the sun in the tropics ,

if you could ,, everyones sativas would be looking wayyy better than they are ,
they all show signs of displeasure of their enviroment imho ..
(elongated flowering times , bud etc ..)

not saying you cant grow good potent sativa indoors ,
its just not the same as outdoor tropical grown gunja ..

Hi

What is the difference in light? We have the ability to match both the power and the spectrum of the sun as it is anywhere in the planet. I don't say that we are in fact doing that, but it can be done.

Could you be more precise?

Rinse

Veteran
Just as a fan imitates the wind, you can imitate natural light, but it is only an imitation, a bulb running on leccy is an imitation of a 870,000 miles wide, 15,000000 degrees Celsius ball of burning elements.
Science is forever chasing nature.

Carraxe

Veteran
Just as a fan imitates the wind, you can imitate natural light, but it is only an imitation, a bulb running on leccy is an imitation of a 870,000 miles wide, 15,000000 degrees Celsius ball of burning elements.
Science is forever chasing nature.

Sorry guys but I still don't get what you mean. What is the difference in your belief? Irradiation? Polarisation of light? Magnetic field of the planet? I'm getting out of ideas.

I firmly believe that we can't tell the difference between the natural and artificial light, if they match the same spectrum. If the copy is accurate enough they are in fact the same light. Science wouldn't tell the difference, neither the plants or we would.

I'd really would like to know why so many people insist on that: better high quality outdoors. I still think what I wrote some posts ago, but new ideas are welcome. If they are better, there must be a different reason for that. I would like to find that reason.

Thanks and cheers