What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Milling fresh frozen cannabis

THC123

Veteran
Hi,

Got a question about making live resin.

We would like to make live resin and to create more contact surface, we would like to use a miller before doing the extraction (supercritical CO2).

But then I was thinking, won't the milling machine get jammed and blocked because of the resin of the fresh frozen material. I mean cannabis starts to thaw real quickly and I am not sure if it would remain in a solid state long enough to complete the milling process.

Another option maybe would be freeze drying the cannabis and then doing the milling and extraction. But I am not sure if it would yield the same result as using fresh frozen trim.

Does anyone here have experience or valuable information on this subject?

Thx

THC123

Veteran
Yes but it needs to be practical. So or e use a big walk in freezer and mill there or, what we really need, is a cryogenic miller that can process large quantities.

SO far I only found one from Spex but it can only process sample quantities and not industrial quantities.

The other one I found was from Fritsch but that one is a normal miller and not a cryogenic one.

I tried google but could not find ONE suitable cryogenic miller for processing industrial quantities of cannabis.

WaterFarmFan

Veteran
I explored this a bit for terpene extraction. You will likely need to build a custom housing (jacket) to make an industrial food mill perform cold temp grinding. You could use dry ice to chill the mill shooting for -50C temps. Love to see where this goes...

WaterFarmFan

Veteran
Here is my current process to freeze and pulverize material:

A 8L stainless pot sits on a 10lb square block of dry ice in a thick wall cooler. Flower and/or trim is added and pot is filled 90%. A ~1lb chuck of dry ice is put into an open top aluminum foil "boat", and this is set on top of the flower/trim. Lid covers the cooler and material begins to chill. After ~20 minutes, I remove dry ice boat and with a large stainless pestle, I smash the material down into the pot. I repeat this process over the next hour until material is ground to fine consistency. The colder the material the easier it is to pulverize. The material in pot is reduced in volume by 60-70%, and I will add more fresh (unsmashed) material and repeat process until pulverized material fills the pot to 80%.

I know that you are looking for a larger and less labor intensive process, but you could scale this a bit and test before spending $,$$$ or $$,$$$.

Ions71

We do pretty much the same thing. All our fresh frozen is stored very cold, sometimes cryo'd before, empty nugs into a large 80 gallon tub, smash with a butane extraction column rod until everything is in tiny pieces. This is done in a -10 deep freeze. Seems to work fairly well but some strains don't powder up quite as well as others. Not very scalable.

Latest posts

Latest posts