What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Flaming hash

PDX Dopesmoker

Sometimes the chunk I'm smoking catches fire. This ruins the flavor for me & I find it otherwise annoying as well, I noticed thats the effect is worse on a piece of hash that was pressed before it was fully dry.
Is there anything to do to avoid this other than making sure its dry before pressing?
5ZVnm4d.jpg

Stan G.

Terpenes and cannabinoids are highly combustible. The moisture content is not a reason to flame up. Your application of heat is to high. either use a hemp wick with a wafting/vaping technique. Or just keep your flame further away from the hash and extinguish flame before combustion. If you immediately blow/suck out the flame the loss of flavor is not as extreme.:tiphat:

Last edited:

Bush Dr

Painting the picture of Dorian Gray
Veteran
You shouldn't suck on a flame, it sends a wave of heated vapour through and knocks the higher volatiles out instantly

Stan G.

You shouldn't suck on a flame, it sends a wave of heated vapour through and knocks the higher volatiles out instantly
You are probably right about that. I prefer not igniting and if it happens either quickly jerk making the flame go out or blow. Good point though, thanks.:tiphat:

PDX Dopesmoker

You are probably right about that. I prefer not igniting and if it happens either quickly jerk making the flame go out or blow. Good point though, thanks.:tiphat:

Yeah, you've definitely experienced the same problem I'm talking about. Since we're exchanging the gory details, my preferred technique is to finish the hit and leave the chunk flaming afterwards and let it cook until I'm ready for the next hit, that way I can extinguish the flame and get a hit off the hot chunk of hash without relighting it.

Betterhaff

Veteran
I had a flaming joint last night that put off a flame just like your pipe picture. I was re-lighting a joint I smoked a few puffs of earlier and when I put a flame to it it ignited. Just blew it out and took a few more puffs. It’s the result of the concentrations of oils and resins.

jwm

Veteran
That's a beautiful thing alright....high oil content, I love hash-

Red Lebanese

IMG_4555.JPG

Pavati Valley

IMG_4554.JPG

jwm

Veteran
You want large hits, this thing will do ya...

IMG_4556.JPG

the carb is on the other side.

MedicalMilitia

Terpenes and cannabinoids are highly combustible. The moisture content is not a reason to flame up. Your application of heat is to high. either use a hemp wick with a wafting/vaping technique. Or just keep your flame further away from the hash and extinguish flame before combustion. If you immediately blow/suck out the flame the loss of flavor is not as extreme.:tiphat:

Agreed 100%.