What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Carolina Reaper HOT Pepper

BOMBAYCAT

Veteran
I like to grow a few Caribbean red hot. They are down on the list by Jamaican peppers but they are still plenty hot. They have very good flavor so I use them for Chile and scrambled eggs. My neighbor tried to eat a small piece raw and almost set his tongue on fire. LOL

Betterhaff

Veteran
The reaper is a step below military pepper spray... probably shouldn't be cooked without using a respirator mask with eye protection and neoprene gloves LOL

Lol, I just noticed that your avatar looks like you just ate one...although it should be redder in the face with some smoke coming out your ears.

@ Maynard...those poppers sound good.

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Jesus, only took about 17-18 days after fruit set to get some colour. Checking too often makes it feel much longer :D

img_0003-1.jpg

Bhut poppers are finally becoming reality!

Space Toker

Veteran
sounds great but if more than peppers and cheese I would appreciate a recipe. thanks!
I have found a whole new love for hot peppers from growing them this year, jalapenos and serranos (so similar superfically to jalepenos I don't know the difference) and thai... and some mix I grew as well... so many flavors and new ways to set my tongue on fire and sweat my face off while enjoying new flavors... so inexplicably appealing!

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
serranos can be up to 2.5x as hot as a jalapeno - and are at their peak when red. They have a much sweeter flavor - similar to a red bell pepper...where as a jalapeno has a more green flavor.

The heat they produce is different as well - the jalapeno hit you more in the gut - where the serrano is more on the tongue and mouth without much feel in the stomach...

At least that's been my experience with them...

dank.Frank

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
sounds great but if more than peppers and cheese I would appreciate a recipe. thanks!
I have found a whole new love for hot peppers from growing them this year, jalapenos and serranos (so similar superfically to jalepenos I don't know the difference) and thai... and some mix I grew as well... so many flavors and new ways to set my tongue on fire and sweat my face off while enjoying new flavors... so inexplicably appealing!

Ehhhh.... recipes. Not so big on those. Just google poppers, there's a few hundred variations to flick through. Many use bacon, though I'm not sure why. I never thought I'd say this outloud, but many things are better without bacon. Orange juice for starters.

Cream cheese and garlic are always a win. 50/50 if you're a alliumphile, roasted or not. Not has more bang.

Seaf0ur

Pagan Extremist
Veteran
Ehhhh.... recipes. Not so big on those. Just google poppers, there's a few hundred variations to flick through. Many use bacon, though I'm not sure why. I never thought I'd say this outloud, but many things are better without bacon. Orange juice for starters.

Cream cheese and garlic are always a win. 50/50 if you're a alliumphile, roasted or not. Not has more bang.

What?!? I dip my bacon in orange juice regularly...

B

bringyalungs

i wonder how the chocolate scorpion, peruvian purple and reaper would do in dwc? the colors look nice, thinking about getting those...any experience anyone?

Space Toker

Veteran
I have to post my pics of my scorpions if that's ok (this thread is not about scorpions). They have small fruit starting, but the season will be ending soon. I have them in pots and will bring them in when needed, but the reason I wanted to post pics is there is all these little brown circles on the leaves. What would cause that and can it be remedied? Anyway, those poppers sure sound good!

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Depends on what kind of brown spot they are. Peppers need a surprisingly large amount of calcium I have found...and it's not the same cal/mg def. that you see in cannabis...

Different.

I've been top feeding my peppers with:

1/4c bone meal
1/4c gypsum
1/4c kelp meal
1/4c alfalfa meal
1/4c azomite

Then I just put 1 or 2 tbsp on the top of the soil of that mix every couple of weeks. You have to watch the N uptake early on or they will drop flowers...but then once they start to bloom and form fruit - they seem to need more N - just at a slower release rate than something like blood or guano provides...and thus the alfalfa in that mix.

Hope that helps you out. But do keep in mind - this is my first year growing peppers - but I've had enough success with it to gain some confidence and I certainly plan continuing with them. It's been a lot of fun.

FWIW - I usually know when to feed again - it's about a week after the soil mites disappear from the surface of the soil. Everytime I feed - they resurge to decompose the raw materials...it's been a blast to watch and observe.

dank.Frank

Space Toker

Veteran
thanks dank.frank, seems like I have some issue with those 3 plants. It was serrano then, definitely red and sweet, almost in a sickening way.

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
That looks like septoria leaf spotting...to me. I know peppers and tomatoes can both get it...

dank.Frank

S

stix~

jajajajjajaj nice thread!!! come on dank.frank send some reaper beans my waaaaay :biggrin:

last year i got the ghost pepper seeds & they are thriving in a tropical environment!!

Betterhaff

Veteran
I would remove any leaves that have any of those spots on them and destroy. Also make sure you cleanse well after handling. Move the infected plants away from the others and see what happens. Or just get rid of the infected plants altogether and toss the soil they were grown in. What you don’t want to do is spread it. It’s either a fungus or bacterial infection and both are tough to deal with unless you go heavy chemical.

Nice Bhuts styx~.

Space Toker

Veteran
thanks for the advice df and maybe Betterhalf (if that post was meant towards me)... but these are 3 pots outside and not much I can do this late in the season, and not much to lose (Not going to clone them and bring them in with my "other plants" so looking to get them to produce something if at all possible by bringing them inside a porch if necessary but not inside too much). I hope to know that no cannabis disease could cause that as I used 50% garden soil and 50% used cannabis soil to pot these, and had a bit of an evil plant in the process, to make sure my used soil could be used for other cannabis plants without disease spread. Well, not so sure. Had other hot peppers I put into the ground, before which they were in the used cannabis soil. They looked good at first, then like barely alive crap, then improved when put into garden soil. So, wondering if inside plants in this soil (including cannabis) have been compromised. The inside plants have had unknown issues that could be disease or nute definciency/lockout... well I hope this septoria leaf spotting can be cured. thanks!