What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Why does transparent roofing and agricultural plastic sheet change the color of my...

cdoc

Why does transparent corrugated roofing and agricultural plastic sheet change the color of my growroom from white sunlight to a bit orange/yellowish hue...

Does this affect the quality of the growth since its not bright white sunlight? using transparent with agricultural sheet for aerial stealth...

Please help.

Thanks

cdoc

btw... how do I make my transparent roofing to diffuse light without using agricultural sheet? can I use paint to make it translucent and aerial stealthy?

redlaser

Veteran
If it was my greenhouse I'd use water and lime, 9lbs. quicklime and 5 gallons of water. You can also use 3 cups of latex paint with five gallons of water, and this works as well.

cdoc

If it was my greenhouse I'd use water and lime, 9lbs. quicklime and 5 gallons of water. You can also use 3 cups of latex paint with five gallons of water, and this works as well.

we dont have quicklime here in our location,

3 cups of latex paint ? white flat? glossy white? then just paint it over the transparent roofing? how much light penetration will this have?

redlaser

Veteran
I would use the flat white but it probably doesn't matter. when I used paint at a commercial flat producer we put it in a sprayer and put it on the hoop houses that way. It's worth noting that this was applied to plastic that got removed every 2-3 years. I would say it cuts light penetration by 15%-25% roughly, probably more like 10-20%. You could apply by hand, on a small area to see what you think.

cdoc

I tried using latex paint, 1cup:10water... and its not sticking to the plastic, it just runoff... :(

i could use a plain white spray paint in can, but the spray are uneven some spot are soft while some are heavy layered :(, this is a pain... i tied using sandpaper , and its very hard to do, since its not flat, the roofing is a standard roofing that looks like ~~~~~~~~~

redlaser

Veteran
When I sprayed the paint mixture it was pre-mixed in a tank and pumped through a long hose to the roofs where it was sprayed with a pistol type or trombone sprayer. Similar setup that lawn care companies use in their tree and shrub "programs". The water and paint mixture could be sprayed with a hand sprayer, use warm water and give the first coat a chance to dry before re-applying. I prefer using lime because it's more easily rinsed off if you put too much on. The paint will fade as well, rinse away a little over time. It comes off easy with a brush when wet for the most part.

M

mr.shiva

White latex & water mix is what we used when I used to propagate cacti & succulents, made the plastic last longer also.

Last edited: