What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Any spots in San Diego for gh poly?

GreyHairedDevil

Good day. I framed out a little lean to greenhouse 5x8 and am looking to source some poly locally. Preferably white so the neighbors don't freak out. Any spots in sd that sell it. I called city farmers but at 8.89 a foot I wanted to laugh. Thanks -GHD

GreyHairedDevil

Yeah the cheap Home Depot stuff shreds into a awful mess after too much time in the sun. I used to make little cabins out of pallets plywood and plastic when I lived in Hawaii. I also want it to be opaque due to the fact that I have neighbors that can see in my yard. I have been checking farmtek and some place in Alabama. Going to place my order today. It's just a tiny lean to off the side of the shed I grow in. Should help shade the shed and create a spot for some a few more plants. Thanks for the replies. I am sure the depot plastic works great for some I just go into a project trying to use industry standard materials to save having to redo things later. Just my style. I already had a bed there growing veggies to shade the shed now that I am enclosing it I can grow flowers:dance013: here is picture of it framed out partially. The boards on top are just sitting there. I trimmed of the overhand and just need to frame the door and the exhaust and intake and wrap thanks for looking.

c03f15742947b319777641539f2e7a80_zps378c1667.jpg

DoomsDay

Bit late as the post was earlier this year but best shade to use on a greenhouse is hands down the sun screen stuff you get at home depot... it's the stuff they cover their outdoor garden section with... can't be seen through and a roll is cheap. It's meant to be in the sun and it allows some air to flow in the area.

http://m.homedepot.com/p/Easy-Garde...-Tan-Sun-Screen-Shade-Cloth-72020R/202043545/

this is what I used to cover a 8 x 10 greenhouse with 3 100 gallon smart pots in it. Works like a charm but I cannot say that it doesn't smell up something fierce.

deadkndys

Real GH film is far Superior then that fabric in many ways. Better off spending your money on that imo.

You also can't run supplemental lighting (or any electricity really) if using that fabric.

DoomsDay

Real GH film is far Superior then that fabric in many ways. Better off spending your money on that imo.

You also can't run supplemental lighting (or any electricity really) if using that fabric.

I run supplemental in mine no problem. I run that fabric on the walls to allow air to flow through, then that plastic corrugated stuff made for greenhouses for the roof. Mine is a lean-to style roof as opposed to the half circle shapes common for greenhouses. At Eight feet tall, ten feet long and 5 feet wide, it holds 2 100 gallon smart pots and one 65 gallon. No problems with shorts in electrical if you seal it all. Liquid electrical tape your wire nuts once you connect the wiring, then cap the top of the light, light coat of Silicone around the edges, duct tape over. 2 years with the same light setup as described and I live in a place that has plenty of moisture daily.

DoomsDay

Great link and don't mean to come across like an asshole, but if you are looking for cost effective, this is far from it. A near by hardware store such as lowes or home depot is much faster, you can get big ass roll of that mesh relatively cheap, and it is breathable.. I've had the same material stretch he'd over my greenhouse for over 2 years without issue. No point in paying more for something that is on par or less effective and costs more.. free flow of air means fans are less required to circulate air. Anyone who has framed in a greenhouse with film will tell you heat and airflow is a main priority. I've yet to turn on a fan, 90+ degrees and plants still love it.