What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Greenhouse Options, Security, Information.

DabOnDabs

Veteran
Hey all,

Debating my next move. I need either A/C's and Dehueys on a serious level, or I need to get outside for the summer. I've been using 12k w/ not nearly enough forced air for a run and a half now, and its definately gonna get sketchy as temps warm up:laughing:

Anyhow, I'm debating my next move. I'm inheriting some land next summer, and am planning on throwing a big greenhouse down, but would like some experience first...

Unfortunately, the only land I have access too for now is my backyard. I have a sketchy plan, so hear me out;

My backyard is about 40 x 70. Right now it has a shitty, 3 foot high chainlink fence that my puppy loves to jump over; So thats getting redone anyways. Build a 6 Foot privacy fence. , then on top of the privacy fence, I can put like 4' of black windscreen on poles in the fenceposts to add another 4ish feet of No seeing into my backyard.

Then, build a greenhouse... Probably 15x20x6 foot sidewalls, or 15x25. Nothing TOO big, but not tiny either.

I have a 8 camera security system, Ihomesecurity door sensors and alarms, and a german shepherd. Could put locks/barbwire on the fence, and I would be building a hard shell greenhouse, w/ Roof Trusses, and polycarbonate.

Few questions;

1.) Is this legal? I'm in Colorado. I am a caregiver and have cards for over 230 plants. From all I've read the law says "out of sight," and "locked". Not sure if a greenhouse in my backyard taht has polycarbonate that you cant see through as well as a fence that you cant really get over is considered "out of sight"

2.) Is this sketch?? Never grown plants in my backyard before. I would not have anything (besides a veg room) going on inside of the house...Meaning the cops wont come and find a fat greenhouse outside AND a lab inside. What about jack boys? Security cameras, alarms, dog, and the roomates should be enough to take care of that..

3.) Street lights/house lights.. Are they gonna cause issues? Tarp over it at night to be safe??

4.) Humidity - Its dry here; I have a 2400CFM Swamp cooler, and 5x - 5 Disc Foggers... That should work?

5.) Do people Supplement CO2 in greenhouses (Sorry, i didnt search this question, it came up as i was typing)

6.) IF i tarped at night, I could supplement light inside for a few hours in the morning with some of my indoor grow lights right?? I dont see why not. Is this economically feasible?

7.) Pot size/Watering amounts - Is anyone using anything besides soil?? I havent had the best experiences in soil. I was thinking Coco trees, or 50 Gallon PPK's. (Check out the vert section if you dont know what a PPK is). How much water does it take to get runoff in a 100 gallon pot of soil? of coco?

Thinking 8-15 plants, critique please?

Ha I'm kinda in a similar situation. Got a double sized lot (almost 11000 sq ft) and have contemplated throwing up a greenhouse...

Where I live, anything over a 6' fence needs a special permit though, which I'm sure includes extensions of sorts. Now, if your neighbors are chill, I really wouldn't worry too much about it, but something to take into consideration is that the extra extension on top of the fence screams "I'm trying to hide something in here!" In my opinion. What I think I'm gonna end up doing it planting hedges all around the property, which will eventually grow to be over 10' tall. They will take a few years to reach that height, but I think it'll be worth it in the long run.

Can't speak for where you live, but the biggest thing holding me back here is definitely jack boys. 1) the smell will be obviously noticeable for a pretty big radius and 2) if you decide to go with a carbon filter that will probably emit quite a bit of noise for how big of one you would need to use, which draws attention. I've had friends here in my city have their outdoor crops ripped by neighbors on multiple occasions, and it's often that awkward situation where you know for a fact they did it but there's not a whole lot you can do. Are you gonna call the cops on them? For some, maybe, but many in our business don't want anything to do with cops. Are you gonna have an armed confrontation of some sorts with them? Usually in the long term this isn't a good option to pursue because this can lead to the cops getting involved...

Ya a dog/roommates/cameras are a good deterrent, but that when someone wants to jack something, they go for it. And when it comes down to it, do you want to have to be part of some kind of confrontation that might involve firearms? Personally I never want to have to be put in a position where I'd have to shoot someone over some bud.

Whatever you decide on, definitely keep us updated :)

DabOnDabs

Veteran
Ha I'm kinda in a similar situation. Got a double sized lot (almost 11000 sq ft) and have contemplated throwing up a greenhouse...

Where I live, anything over a 6' fence needs a special permit though, which I'm sure includes extensions of sorts. Now, if your neighbors are chill, I really wouldn't worry too much about it, but something to take into consideration is that the extra extension on top of the fence screams "I'm trying to hide something in here!" In my opinion. What I think I'm gonna end up doing it planting hedges all around the property, which will eventually grow to be over 10' tall. They will take a few years to reach that height, but I think it'll be worth it in the long run.

Can't speak for where you live, but the biggest thing holding me back here is definitely jack boys. 1) the smell will be obviously noticeable for a pretty big radius and 2) if you decide to go with a carbon filter that will probably emit quite a bit of noise for how big of one you would need to use, which draws attention. I've had friends here in my city have their outdoor crops ripped by neighbors on multiple occasions, and it's often that awkward situation where you know for a fact they did it but there's not a whole lot you can do. Are you gonna call the cops on them? For some, maybe, but many in our business don't want anything to do with cops. Are you gonna have an armed confrontation of some sorts with them? Usually in the long term this isn't a good option to pursue because this can lead to the cops getting involved...

Ya a dog/roommates/cameras are a good deterrent, but that when someone wants to jack something, they go for it. And when it comes down to it, do you want to have to be part of some kind of confrontation that might involve firearms? Personally I never want to have to be put in a position where I'd have to shoot someone over some bud.

Whatever you decide on, definitely keep us updated :)

Ideally I wouldnt put myself in the situation where an armed confrontation wouldnt be necessary. However, Indoors or outdoors, this hobby certainly invites the trash.... And i will defend myself, my family and my home with whatever force is necessary. Dont wanna get shot? Dont hop the fence with signs all over it that say "beware of dog" or "protected by glock"

My neighbors in the back are pretty friendly, but we do have some lurkers in the alley. Every day people are hunting through the trash n shit. A sunroom addition to my house might be a good solution, however, my house would block alot of the light in the afternoon.

DabOnDabs

Veteran
even-span-greenhouse.jpg

Baller.

mr. gt

^^ that is pretty baller. I wish I could help you. What I can say is that it does sound sketchy as fuck having dudes in your alley looking for food. What I would think if I was one of them and I saw your huge greenhouse of pot, is that this guy has money inside. Is it possible for them to smell during flower?

If it was me.. (whose biased and loves indoors) would be to do what it takes to grow inside. I played around with induction plasma lights when they first came out, which are cooler than Hps.

Why not go cool tube and completely vent the heat outside of the room. Or go fancy and get some LED's. (not sure which is cooler)

lvtokerr

I know a dude in south denver who had 30 7 gallons coco trees going in his green house. dude even lived in a city that banned stores. I would add to your list a way to keep them from freezing if we get a crazy colorado cold front. you what they say about the weather out here. dude chopped his stuff at six weeks so it obviously wasnt ready and was all veggie smellin. he just had a couple medium sized dogs. not quite big as a german shepard. jack boys should know you are protecting your shit. theres a law in co called make my day. anyone steps on your property and you feel threatened (how do you know if they are packing) end of story. during primo flower time i might have a couple buddies bring their dogs over and camp in the back yard with you. have some crazy satanic music ready to blast and maybe a good two smoker chain saw to fire up. they'll have to be mentally insane to come back. ime most jackers will test the waters to see if you are home and ready or not. you can get cheap old chain saws on cl etc. it doesnt even need a chain but you might have fun making fertilizer outta jackers. haha have you seen that movie henzel grettle witch hunters where the lady feeds lil kids to her pot farm. haha morning bong rips got me rambling but i hate thieves and love trees.

what about scaling the op down to like a 6 lighter so its easier to remote handle. that way you can go do some cool Colorado shit.

2 Legal Co

Veteran
If you even 'think' that you might need to use the 'Make my Day Law'. I'm thinking that the GH will need to be 'part' of your house. Otherwise you could have trouble using that as a defense.

For security; I've been thinking that 'cattle panels' welded together as a 'subframe' would be a good additional deterrent to rippers. They are constructed of 4 or 6 gauge, welded wire, and are 16'x56"s? Used inside of the cover..... be it Polysheeting or Polycarbonate panels, it'd be out of sight.... and can't be defeated easily without a grinder or bolt cutters.

Solexx type of panels are not clear, have better thermal efficiency, solving the 'out of sight' issue, and lowering the need for BTUs during the winter. They are made much like corrugated cardboard boxes..... However, the 'view' is eliminated from either side! All you see is shadows.

DabOnDabs

Veteran
If you even 'think' that you might need to use the 'Make my Day Law'. I'm thinking that the GH will need to be 'part' of your house. Otherwise you could have trouble using that as a defense.

For security; I've been thinking that 'cattle panels' welded together as a 'subframe' would be a good additional deterrent to rippers. They are constructed of 4 or 6 gauge, welded wire, and are 16'x56"s? Used inside of the cover..... be it Polysheeting or Polycarbonate panels, it'd be out of sight.... and can't be defeated easily without a grinder or bolt cutters.

Solexx type of panels are not clear, have better thermal efficiency, solving the 'out of sight' issue, and lowering the need for BTUs during the winter. They are made much like corrugated cardboard boxes..... However, the 'view' is eliminated from either side! All you see is shadows.

Great idea on the cattle pannels...Seems a metal subframe is gonna be a must....the guy at the hydro store was pretty adament about solexx too.

2 Legal Co

Veteran
what about scaling the op down to like a 6 lighter so its easier to remote handle. that way you can go do some cool Colorado shit.

Might consider where to Put it as well.

Fellow once said " It's good to live where other people vacation".

:biggrin::laughing::tiphat:

Where do you do those Colorado things?

I know a dude in south denver who had 30 7 gallons coco trees going in his green house. dude even lived in a city that banned stores. I would add to your list a way to keep them from freezing if we get a crazy colorado cold front. you what they say about the weather out here. dude chopped his stuff at six weeks so it obviously wasnt ready and was all veggie smellin. he just had a couple medium sized dogs. not quite big as a german shepard. jack boys should know you are protecting your shit. theres a law in co called make my day. anyone steps on your property and you feel threatened (how do you know if they are packing) end of story. during primo flower time i might have a couple buddies bring their dogs over and camp in the back yard with you. have some crazy satanic music ready to blast and maybe a good two smoker chain saw to fire up. they'll have to be mentally insane to come back. ime most jackers will test the waters to see if you are home and ready or not. you can get cheap old chain saws on cl etc. it doesnt even need a chain but you might have fun making fertilizer outta jackers. haha have you seen that movie henzel grettle witch hunters where the lady feeds lil kids to her pot farm. haha morning bong rips got me rambling but i hate thieves and love trees.

confused.gif

DabOnDabs

Veteran
Lol thats hilarious.

Not gonna be rippin chainsaws in the middle of the night in my neighborhood. The satanic music not so much either. Maybe if i lived in the middle of the woods, and I was actually insane.

lvtokerr

Oh man cmon I was just joking and I did say it was a stoner rant. LoL maybe I have been spending too much time up in the woods. I was just trying to spark some creativity.

So any new news in dabville? I'm stoked to see what you come up with. A hoop house with twin 14in maxcanfans and carbon filters? lol you'll have to spend 3x the cost of the green house in smell control. Arent green house plants extra stinky?

2 Legal Co

Veteran
Oh man cmon I was just joking and I did say it was a stoner rant. LoL maybe I have been spending too much time up in the woods. I was just trying to spark some creativity.

So any new news in dabville? I'm stoked to see what you come up with. A hoop house with twin 14in maxcanfans and carbon filters? lol you'll have to spend 3x the cost of the green house in smell control. Arent green house plants extra stinky?

There's no such thing as 'too much time in the woods'. :tiphat:

I might need better company, but I like the country. :biggrin:

Last edited:

Iachdo

Which way is your back yard facing you can always make the north facing side blackout permanently. As for security put a carbon filter on your exhaust fan like indoors. You should pull tarp for street light so nothing hermis. With that little of space there's really no point to veg in there anyway. If you have an indoor space veg in there and flower outside or vice versa if you think thieves are a problem but in CO right now everyone is in the same boat as you. As for pot size 20s or around there should be fine, 100s are going to get crowded quick and to achieve run off it will take at least 30 gals. soil would be your best bet since it retains heat better just water when soil is dry not like coco where it needs constant watering. There is also no need for run off until you flush. The plant mimics the roots water that area and they stay happy. Hope that helps some

RB26

Vendor
Veteran
No offense, but you've got way too many variables at play here... Pass on the greenhouse and put the money into cooling your main room so you can run it all year long.

DabOnDabs

Veteran
2 houses across the street were broken into. Random. Aparently the Bario isnt as safe as I thought it was. /sigh