What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Why bud hairs turn brown prematurely?

Lupin

Hi everyone

What is the reason of bud hairs turning brown just in 4th or 5th week of flowering? I have had this problem both with soil and hydro. Thank you.

bounty29

Custom User Title
Veteran
How's the ventilation? If you've got air blowing right on your buds that'd cause the pistils to dry out prematurely.

Daemon

It can be a strain trait as well. I've also heard that hairs will do this when the flower has been pollinated.

Lupin

Air is not blowing on buds and they are not pollinated, and it is something which has happened on many strains for me. Do you think that too little watering can cause this when growing in soil? Thanks for the replies.

DrLongbottom

Veteran
Typically on any Strain the first pistills and preflowers that show are the first to die. So its very common to see some withered pistills at the halfway point of flowering. Peace DLB

Grat3fulh3ad

The Voice of Reason
Veteran
DrLongbottom said:
Typically on any Strain the first pistills and preflowers that show are the first to die. So its very common to see some withered pistills at the halfway point of flowering. Peace DLB
yup...

MoeBudz^420

Veteran
Here's a pic of an unseeded bud 46 days in flower under not quite ideal conditions. My temps are a wee bit high, highs running 85-88F w/ 400 hps. Not much I can do about it tho...

We see mixed pistils, approx. 50/50... this is not abnormal. As long as new clumps of white pistils are emerging and trichs are still clear/cloudy she is still growing and ripening. The bud pic'd will fatten up quite a bit yet as those new pistils/calyxes keep emerging over time...

My 2 cents: she's just fine, no need to worry. Unless all the pistils are withered with no white ones - IMO that would take pollination to see at such an early stage.

If she looks like this, no worries... :rasta:

Peace

TGT

Tom 'Green' Thumb
Veteran
Also foiliar feeding can do this and even spray for mites. Although you should not spray so late into bud, but some people still use non chemical sprays which is okay to use. Or like suggested above, pollination. But some dying off I have found is normal. Just my input on the matter - hope all goes well and good luck.

TGT

Last edited:

Pig-Pen

Genetics, stress and pollination are the three factors here. Could be one or any combination in varying degrees.

Last edited:
Lots has to due with strain as a lot of skunks like skunk 1 have lots of red hairs. Afghanica was the same way for me, huge buds that looked great but was a med high and not much flavor.

asher1er

Veteran
i got some orange n withered hairs very few around the top of my plants but my oscillating fans do blow over them so not sure if thats the case? i just hit the 3rd week of flower with about 10more weeks to go :badday: :joint:

Latest posts

Latest posts