What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

New Brothers Grimm C99 and 630w CMH, in dwc!!!

So quick update. The aeroponics table is kicking serious ass! I'm getting crazy fish bone lateral root growth all over the place and a fair bit of them are all fuzzy. I'll post some pictures once they have at least a week in the new table. I'm seriously Impressed with the root growth. I've never seen this kind of root development before.

Ok so as a bit of advice if you want to grow aeroponics look up pirate's old LPA thread. Very thorough how to there that will get you knowed up on getting rolling. Personally I had to do things the hard way. Anyhow I digress. I took his DIY and tweaked a few things.

So the high points are I changed the lid to blue board and the net pot setup. This was done for easy removal of plants. Blue board was used because im a cheapskate and I had blue board laying around.

Learning curve advice: oversize your pump. I ran too small of a pump for the nozzle count and it bit me in the ass. Control flow with your timer, not your pump flow. Undersized pump doesnt supply enough pressure/volume to spray propperly, and this will make plants angry. Don't make Bruce banner angry....

So now that I've chased my tail a fair bit, got the plants back on track, and unfucked my Aero table ha ha! Here is how they are looking. First up is Rocky. She is a blue dream seedling that needed some help sprouting and I have been nursing along ever since. Due to a rough start she is half the size of everyone else, but is gaining ground fast. Note the fish bone roots she is spitting out.

picture.php

Next up is the seed run of hulk smash. These are the cross of bb#3 × strawberry diesel. According to dark horse genetics they crossed the bb#3 back to the strawberry diesel male that they used to make bb#3. There is some controversy surrounding dark horse and bb#3. I'll just have to judge the girls on their own merit. Here is how they are looking currently!

picture.php

Other things worth noting- the table is under a 4200k DE cmh light at 700w, neither picture has had been messed with for color correction. The other thing is I'm running a sterile rez that is recirculating. Dutch master gold zone is keeping things dead. I'm going to try and give a sterile rez an honest try. If it doesn't work, back to using orca. Ph and ppm are rock steady and the girls are on a +/- 750 ppm diet with no complaints. They started their bloom cycle 11/19/17.

repuk

Altruistic Hazeist
Veteran
Kudos for the grow! :tiphat:

As a Sativa lover, I drooled looking at those beatifully photographed c99 nugs!

I'm with jumpingcactus, I'm an old cat and my tolerance is rather high... IMHO nothing beats the potency and quality of effects of a good sativa.

Please keep posting pictures! Do you have albums of your "other" veggies?

Unfortunately I've deleted most of my other garden plants from my phone. The only other plants that are interesting are the house plants. We just got a kalamondin tree (Tangerine × kumquat), dwarf lemon tree which i believe is a Lisbon, and a small coffee plant. They are all sitting in the kitchen under a 400w cob setup (4 100w cree cxb 3590 at 3500k). A friend was kind enough to let me check out the cob setup. It is a DIY timber led kit. So far the plants are digging it, and my better half isn't complaining about it. Truth be told the between the spectrum and the high cri, it isn't out of place in the house, in plain sight.

Speaking of c99, the girls in dwc are still recovering. Short story is it took longer than thought for in floor radiant heat of shop slab to cool down and they took a beating, then I had to take some additional steps to head off root rot. They are coming around finally and are growing healthy new white roots. So they are going into bloom slightly pissed off. I'm hoping it will take the stretch, as they are 2 feet tall and very woody from the slow growth. I'll top them and clone this week, which should further slow vertical growth. Last time I triggered bloom around a foot tall with them and they got over 4 feet tall. That was with really healthy plants going into bloom though. I'll also keep an eye out for any hermie signs.
The possible other silver lining here is the woody growth should help support the plants beautifully in late bloom, depending on stretch.

Oh and speaking of clones, I'll be building an aero cloner hopefully this week. I'll be doing side by side with the aero cloner, my bubble cloner, and my tried and true rapid rooted cube/seed tray with seed tray heat mat. Along with all the other clones I've got a morgua scorpion pepper plant cutting I'm going to try to get to root. If I can get it to root, it will be a heads up between me and a buddy for who can grow the better hydroponic pepper.

Nice grow report on the c99 frozenfire im also running c99 and im 30 days in on flower ive got one that smells like babby spew or something like that and another one that smells like skunky/pineapple do any of yours have similar smell to them description

Razz, while growing they all smell like a floral/fruity smell, with no skunk to them. Late bloom it intensifies, dried and cured it changes to a floral/inscence smell with a slight fruit smell. The smoke is super smooth and packs a wallop with a slow onset. Who's version of c99 are you running?

Mine are brothers grimm new version i sprouted 4 and got 4 females 2 smell fruity like you described and the other 2 like i described as above and by the way are you doing a grow report on Hulk smash as i was going to get that in near future

Good call on the brothers Grimm. Do not under estimate their ability to grow. I did and it was a battle to semi tame the vertical growth.

I'm still debating on starting a new thread on my adventures in aeroponics and the new strains I'm growing. I'll probably not do another strain specific grow diary. I switch thing up too much for that. Current focus is dialing in low pressure aeroponics. The future will be playing with whatever strikes my interest with new grow methods, genetics, lighting, and any other experiments that sound interesting.

So far the hulk smash has been vigorous and problem free. For a seed run, they seem to not have a lot of variation. All but two have tight inter node spacing and fruity smells when stems are rubbed. So far most are showing sex, and only 1 confirmed male and a possible second one. Until I decide on starting a new thread, I'll post updates here as things progress, as there are more c99 shenanigans to come as well.

Ill be watching your thread mate keep up the good work just a tip for you my c99 love the cal mag must be the calcium or iron not really shore but i plan on crossing mine with a bubblegum skunk male from topdawg seeds with a c99 so im hoping the skunky/pineapple more pineapple then skunky smell one turns out a ripper cause that's got the better inter node spacing as the other 3 are tight and bushy in the guts with shorter main crown but they are all so good its gunna be hard to choose

Beginning of week 3!
Things are finally turned around in dwc. Plants are happy, and they are growing vigorously at this point. That half of the tent will be packed. Very tight internodes on all plants and more branches than you can shake a stick at. The two up front in the picture are c99 #3. Left #3 was deleafed, and the right one needs to be. I will be lolly popping all of them and deleafing the rest soon.

Aeroponics side is doing good, but I'm still not happy with it. All the males have been pulled. I am refraining from topping them if possible so I can see normal plant structure. Roots have slowed down on growth at this point. I've been running dutch master zone at recommended stregnth and I'm getting brown roots. Plants look very healthy, and growth rates are average. I'll be switching to using orca for bennies instead of sterile res this week. I'm positive that I'm not getting optimal performance from the aero setup yet. Root zone temps are around 68°F, and rez temp is 64°F. I'm getting way better root mass and healthy appearance with dwc. I'm not sure if it's due to sterile rez setup not right, temps seem good, or if I don't need the larger root mass I get with dwc. Common belief is larger root mass equals bigger yeild with dwc and dirt... time will tell if it is the case with aero. Cycle time for sprayers is 20 seconds on and 5 minutes off at the moment. This drains table and keeps roots damp. All plants look nice and health top side, so it's a head scratcher. Next run with aero I will run a c99 #3 for a control plant to see how it does vs dwc.

So aero side is all seed plants. So left 2 rows are hulk smash, middle row is lemon diesel and blue dream #3, right of that is 2 blue dreams up front and back is orange glue, last row in right is orange glues.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

For size comparison that's a 4" net pot and a 18g tote. This was after it had all roots cut back to the net pot after dealing with root rot in veg. Took about 5 weeks to get to this much root mass after getting rez temps dialed back in. It will continue to throw roots like this till the end of bloom.

All of the girls are busy building baby buds. My orca showed up and it has been added to the aero res. So far the orange glue is leading the charge in the resin development which is promising. The tent is starting to smell better too. No serious stinkers so far, but my fingers are crossed.

Does anyone know where to get seeds for some old school road kill skunk? I'm talking 3 day old bloated skunk.

picture.php

picture.php

starke

Sweet looking roots, especially after fighting off rot. Really like your setup. Hope you rock the aero.

Thanks y'all! I'm just happy they recovered from rot quickly and without any serious issues besides slowing down. The 2 c99 #4 Are recovering the slowest, but are finally past the worst of it. They will not get near as big as #3's. The upside since they are stunted and didn't stretch, they should be solid colas!

Aeroponics is a curiosity for me. I will continue to mess with it till I get it dialed in. I like the idea of being able to use less nutes and a smaller resivoir. I'm enjoying the challenge of learning a new process more than anything else.

Well the hulk smash ranges from sweet fruit to a light diesel fuel. Hulk smash #6 is my current favorite due to structure and smell. Two of the hulk smash got pissy and hermied a little. One plant grew 5 pollen sack clusters and the other only grew two. So I'm figuring it was environmental stress and I took steps to fix it. The Orange glues are doing really well. They are in the lead with resin production, and I've got a feeling they will finish strong. Orange glue smells go from Orange cleaner to straight chemical stink.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Finally! Aeroponics is growing consistent healthy roots. It was worth trying to run a sterile rez with Dutch master zone, but it didn't work to my liking. I still wound up with slow root growth and brown roots. It's been over a week with orca now and my aero plants are growing beautiful white roots with tons of lateral root growth ie "fish bones."
picture.php

The dwc side of the tent is going nuts. Poor c99 #4's stayed stunted, but are rooted nice now and should yield ok. C99 #5 and #3's are monsters and will probably make a bunch of wonderful nuggets coated in resin.
picture.php

Things worth noting. Aero vs dwc nute levels: aero seems to require 200 to 300 ppm less total nutes. Root growth wise dwc is smoking aero, but this can be attributed to first grow with aero and shop floor temp issues early on with dwc. So that observation is suspect until next grow. From prior grows I have observed heavier yields and healthier plants go hand in hand with bigger root mass. Next run I will do much better with aero...