What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Clones Have Mutated Leaves

brown_thumb

I'm aware that plants that have been stressed will often grow deformed leaves for awhile. However, these aren't yet returning to normal growth after several weeks. They're many times larger than when first cut.

These started as an experiment and I had little confidence that they would survive. All I did was top some plants that went into early flowering. The topped plants continued to flower. The cuttings, I dipped in Clonex and planted them as deep as I could while keeping the leaves above soil level. Wadda ya' know... all 14 survived and grew, albeit slowly.

Of the 14 clones, 4 recently died due to lackadaisical attention. Three are far behind the others and 1 of those three is smaller and sickly. I gave 3 of the best ones to a friend. The remaining 4 are growing well but all the leaves are distorted/mutated. Otherwise, they look healthy to me. They all reverted to veg but it took them a long time.

FINALLY, MY QUERIES: Should I worry about these weird growth patterns? Is there anything I can do to help the plants normalize? Should I wait for them to normalize before doing any trimming?

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
Clonex is full of plant hormones.. I guess the hormones played with your clones hormone levels.

brown_thumb

Clonex is full of plant hormones.. I guess the hormones played with your clones hormone levels.

Thank you. Yes, that might be but they were cloned about two months ago and the larger plants are now 350-400mm tall... and I partially buried the stems to mitigate slight legginess. The larger plants lost approximately 25-50mm when cloned, then another 50mm when transplanted the first time and another 50mm at final transplantation. The smallest plants only lost the initial 25mm because they haven't grown much and aren't leggy at all. Had I not buried a portion of the stems the larger plants should be over 500mm tall. The clones were only 25-75mm tall when first cut. I figured the plants should be normalizing by now but I don't know.