What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Mother in stasis?

Florere

Hello friends,

I got a question. It's a bit of a luxury problem.
I have too many mother plants which I don't use for quite some time. But I don't want to get rid of them.

Is there a way to keep them in stasis for a longer period ? Like the size of a good clone. I was thinking about putting them in a refrigerator with a small led strip.

Some thoughts?

Thanks,
Florere

Spaventa

Veteran
share the cuts you have with other growers. When you have a couple of backup keepers, you don't have to hold them all the time.

Spaventa

Veteran
Why would you want to keep them in the fridge though? you can slow growth by restricting root space, plant space, nutrients, light. I doubt they would live long in the fridge and they may well hermi.

Im curious to freeze a snip and defrost it and stick it in the aero though..
That would be cool, and literally amazing lol

Florere

Why would they hermi?
Because even if I put it in small pots etc. they become too "big"
So I was hoping for another option

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
i think it's a good idea, just set the fridge at the least cold setting, it should slow things right down, reducing the need for ferts, lights, air and even medium. let us know how it goes.

totally freezing a cut is about the same as freezing a letuce, doesn't work and you end up with a bag of slime when you defrosted it.

i was thinking maybe if you added some antifreeze to the water the cut gets placed in after you cut it, maybe that would stop the cells getting busted by freezing and defrosting.

Florere

i think it's a good idea, just set the fridge at the least cold setting, it should slow things right down, reducing the need for ferts, lights, air and even medium. let us know how it goes.

totally freezing a cut is about the same as freezing a letuce, doesn't work and you end up with a bag of slime when you defrosted it.

i was thinking maybe if you added some antifreeze to the water the cut gets placed in after you cut it, maybe that would stop the cells getting busted by freezing and defrosting.

You are messing with me right?

Antifreeze?

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
in a way yeah, messing with ya, but just imagine if you could keep genetics in clone form frozen. would be a big advantage, for stuff you just want to save but are not using right now, also be handy for storing special breeding studs while they are not in use. but yeah, most likely it's a pipe dream as they say.

Florere

in a way yeah, messing with ya, but just imagine if you could keep genetics in clone form frozen. would be a big advantage, for stuff you just want to save but are not using right now, also be handy for storing special breeding studs while they are not in use. but yeah, most likely it's a pipe dream as they say.

I did read that some people keep there clones in the refrigerator for some weeks. That's why I was thinking about this.

Would be nice, since I got like 50 plus moms. Can't trow it Away 😔

Budley Doright

Veteran
I did read that some people keep there clones in the refrigerator for some weeks. That's why I was thinking about this.

Would be nice, since I got like 50 plus moms. Can't trow it Away ��

Unless you are slightly anal you probably dont need 50 moms....

But you might want to read up on pruning....

Or if you dont like that..... just clone the moms....... when the clone roots get rid of the mommy....

St. Phatty

A windowsill where it gets filtered sun 3 hours a day, and light 16+ hours a day, is enough to slow it down to "house-plant veg" mode.

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
don't throw your mums if you can avoid it, you always end up regretting it. its great to have a wide selection to chose from.

Spaventa

Veteran

cryogenics is REAL man! Anti-freeze is toxic so... more slime.

I remember hearing Frogs can be frozen and resuscitated.. think it was frogs lol anyway, I don't know how you get extract the vital ingredient (an enzyme I think) out of the frog but if you ran that on your mother... who knows right?! Let me know how it goes :tiphat:

Spaventa

Veteran

Would be nice, since I got like 50 plus moms. Can't trow it Away ��

People used to put plants in the refrigerator to force them into flower - the plant thinks last chance. This also why it could hermi. They will be stressed. I say might because it depends on the stability of the cut.

50? 7 more and we can call you Heinz :biggrin: