What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Cloning from flowering plant advice

Hey all, just a quick question re. Cloning off plant 5 weeks into 12/12 - when I do so is it advised to remove buds or leave them on until it's clearly reveging?

For various reasons I haven't been able to take clones until now, and the faster I can root then veg them the better

Cheers

Boyd Crowder

Teem MiCr0B35
take cuts low on the plant, leave buds and a fans, do like you would normally, but allow an extra 2-3 weeks to come out of the flower mode

Thanks guys, I have done it several times before due to laziness, but someone advised me to pick buds off and I wasn't sure if that was a good idea or not. Anything I can do to speed up the process would help at this stage as I know it can take a long time to start revegging, and even longer to revert back to normal growth

w3rds

Ive found using an aeroponic cloner over rockwool has helped me the few times I've needed to snap a couple clones.

Hey there 967, so what did you do to your mother in the closet? Or are you just excited about doing another grow half way into it? hehehehe

I must of misunderstood your question becauseI thought you were also asking if you should clone sides that have a bud on top of them? Now that is a trick I want to learn! Always plan ahead, and have mother under a low light fluresent bub you get from down the street at the store. The idea is not having big lights during it's growth, you want it to grow slow thus forming nodes very close to one another and cutting them for all your clones. For me, it took two mothers to get that many clones. Be sure to put them in so plugs so that the stems have plenty of pressure from all sides on the stem; that is the secret to 100 percent cloning.

You should also consider skipping the vegetive stage, and go right into flowing. Wait a few days after taking them out of the plastic green house nursery, then put them under a strong 150 watt florescent bulb and hood (sun systems makes one), so they get strong enough yet very short in height. This is the whole reason why seed breeders use hybrids, because growth height always causes a problem when matching it up to efficient equipment.

I just read your second post, do not take clones that had buds picked from them, the plant will realize the stress and may convert to a male plant soon of you do. Nature will always find a way, changing sex is a sure fire way to loose friends here on this forum.

packerfan79

Veteran
I did this last crop and they were not quite out the of the transition. Killed my yeild, and i got a few nanners . Some strains do not like it.I pick the buds once it's rooted and transplanted. I would say it's at least 4 wks to come out of the funk.

RockinRobot

As a general rule for every week the plant was flowering that's how long it takes to revert to veg. Leave the top bud if you want nice bushy plants. (Research Monster cropping.

Cheers guys. I don't do mothers I generally clone off clones before switching to flowering. Sometimes I'm either busy and put it off, this time i was moving house etc which messed things up. I have a 250w mh bulb (which I use with a 600w hps for flowering), which I'll veg clones with once growing strong again. Just might mean a couple or few extra weeks vegging which I could do without...

yts farmer

Veteran
It safe to take cuts now but like mentioned before it will take some time before they switch back to vegetive state.

Strain dependent i would expect anything from 4-6 weeks.

You'll know when this happens because the first few leaves will be deformed but after that it's all gravey from there.

Peace.

ion

this is great....came on here to see about taking clones from flowerings and this is the thread that popped up!

967 said 5 wks in....what about taking farther into flower on 12/12? same rules apply?

im in a similar semi-fuckular situation. popping beans left/right into 12/12 just to get balls rolling while putting some fem seeds into veg cab and flowering ..... but when i see a reg seed putting out desirable traits.....like now with some skunkman freebies i crossed with ak47 from 5 years ago.... i want to keep it going.

so, take from low parts....i'll use jiffy pellets....have patience....that covers it yah?

yts farmer

Veteran
967 said 5 wks in....what about taking farther into flower on 12/12? same rules apply?

Not sure how far into flowering you can take clones successfully but i have had success taking some emergency cuts around week 4-5 of 12/12. Not ideal but needs must.

If your cuts fail to root for any reason, then you can always reveg your plant after harvest. Just make sure you leave a few small lower branches with fan leaves, give it a root prune and sit tight for about 5-6 weeks on 18/6 light schedule and after your first initial funky growth patterns your new plant will start generating normal growth.

Peace.

William76

Yea u can take clones later than 5 weeks,just takes a little longer,and clones with a flower on top are no probs too,ur new growth will pop out the top of the flower when shes rooted and reverted.76

Cheers guys. I don't do mothers I generally clone off clones before switching to flowering. Sometimes I'm either busy and put it off, this time i was moving house etc which messed things up. I have a 250w mh bulb (which I use with a 600w hps for flowering), which I'll veg clones with once growing strong again. Just might mean a couple or few extra weeks vegging which I could do without...

You are on the right track when you refused to grow longer in a vegetive state; you should take your good idea and cut the time even further. I used mothers, put clones in a plastic green house, then took them out of the humidity controlled environment and put them under a 150 watt fluorescent bulb just a little bit ------ then straight into the full sun. This allowed me to control the height of the plant and did not force me to have to use high watt bulbs (I used 400w), and did not have to use screens for control. Timing is important. Skipping the vegetive state also lets you skip most the skunk smell too.

Latest posts

Latest posts