What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Pro's and Con's of foiler feeding

OG_NoMan

Not Veteran
420giveaway
So I always see people talking about it but don't understand if it is necessary and it seems like a pain in the ass with the whole light burn potential. I am a new grower about to pull my second harvest and have never employed this technique. Always looking to expand my knowledge so if you will please let me know your experience with this I would love it. Thanks and have a bountiful day :tiphat:

So I always see people talking about it but don't understand if it is necessary and it seems like a pain in the ass with the whole light burn potential. I am a new grower about to pull my second harvest and have never employed this technique. Always looking to expand my knowledge so if you will please let me know your experience with this I would love it. Thanks and have a bountiful day :tiphat:

Its not necessary but certainly doesn't hurt done correctly. If its a pain in the ass for you i suggest skipping it.. There's lots of ways to grow what maybe a pain in the ass for you maybe quit simple for someone else. Feel me? Think outdoors, think first sign of even a hint of a nute def you can light foiler feed no harm done yo....

In my experience spidermites would rather live on a plant that doesn't get foiler fed than one that does. Just my .02 worth

Happy gardening:tiphat:

OG_NoMan

Not Veteran
420giveaway
Thanks Stonehenge for your input. I am in process of going outdoor which is kind of why I started this thread. So you use this method mostly to fix deficiencies and fight bugs if I understand you correctly. For bugs are you mostly spraying neem as a preventive and would this be a good practice for outdoor to keep bugs away?

soil margin

Veteran
Pro's of foliar feeding: Improved appearance. Increased quality, yield, potency.

Con's of foliar feeding: Pain in the ass, lengthy, time consuming process (especially on big crops) unless you have some mobile sprayer drone robot setup. Can increase chance of mold/pests/fungus finding their way to your plant in an unsealed grow setup that is consistently being foliar fed/has an extra high humidity level with extra moisture all over the leaves, so that has to be accounted for when designing your grow.

Thanks Stonehenge for your input. I am in process of going outdoor which is kind of why I started this thread. So you use this method mostly to fix deficiencies and fight bugs if I understand you correctly. For bugs are you mostly spraying neem as a preventive and would this be a good practice for outdoor to keep bugs away?

Its not like i make it a point to foiler feed all my plants its just a technique i keep in my aresenal.. Was just trying to open your mind up to its possibilites.

When it comes to pests and desease i like to mix it up on my outdoor grows. I may spray neem a few times. Then spray spinosad a few times, then spray a three in one pesticide fungicide miteicide a few times. I'll spray all through veg and a few weeks into flowering. After then i quit everything and start only spraying with BT. When i think the plant only has about two weeks left untill harvest i stop the BT.

I spray in the mornings.

When im spraying during veg i spray wait about a week rinse with plain hose water then respray. When in flower i dont rinse them off just spray. I also step my plants up from 16.oz cups to 1gal pots then upto 3gal pots. Then into their final spots. Makes spraying much easier.

Also keep in mind i work and fish hard on my days off i set no rules if i miss spraying buy a few days i dont trip...

After i harvest i imediately rinse the dust and any residue let from spraying off whole plants or large branches then allow the water to evaporate off while hung outdoors in the breeze before i move them to a dark cool well ventilated area to dry.

Stonehedge out!:tiphat:

OG_NoMan

Not Veteran
420giveaway
Thanks for the response and info. I would upvote you but I don't have that privilege yet ;).

I wood

Anyone got a view on the plant magic spray

Based on the name alone I guessed garbage.
When I looked into it, laughably overpriced and vague on actual details.
Could possibly be good for plants, but sold in 125 ml bottle with directions to spray until dripping, funny.
No thanks.

OG_NoMan

Not Veteran
420giveaway
Based on the name alone I guessed garbage.
When I looked into it, laughably overpriced and vague on actual details.
Could possibly be good for plants, but sold in 125 ml bottle with directions to spray until dripping, funny.
No thanks.

Lol, I was at masscann a couple months ago. There was a guy selling moonshine for your plants. Proceeded to ask a couple questions about what it actually is. Response: well I am just here selling it but don't know everything that is in it but my boy grows huge plants with it. Lol thanks, have a great day.:biggrin:

OG_NoMan

Not Veteran
420giveaway
So just to add to the thread. I have been foiler feeding outdoor exclusively pest control. Spraying neem and thuricide on a 2 week interval. The plants love the neem and really green up and get a bit shiny. I use 1 ounce neem/thuricide to 1 gal of water. Plan to stop when they start flowering.

Lathus

So just to add to the thread. I have been foiler feeding outdoor exclusively pest control. Spraying neem and thuricide on a 2 week interval. The plants love the neem and really green up and get a bit shiny. I use 1 ounce neem/thuricide to 1 gal of water. Plan to stop when they start flowering.

I foliar feed during Veg to help with growth and health which clearly leads to yield.

So your roots are the best and most efficient way to feed your plant. As our mouths are the best way to eat take meds etc. However just as we have dermal patches like the nicotine patch the plants can absorb nutes through there skin. But its very limited, it doesn't last long and it isn't efficient.

I foliar feed once a week with Raw nutrient line Humid acid, folic acid, yucca extract, and Amino Acids. It has made a real difference.