What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Creating the ideal trimming station

Lrus007

Veteran
two things i do when doing a long trim.
1st water drink a glass. then when you piss
have another. keeps the blood thinner.
makes for less cramping. is about every 45 min
so you get a little break.
2nd the 20 20 for your eyes.
every 20 min of trimming look at something far away for 20 sec.
this will help a lot for the eyestrain.
hope this helps
Lrus007

coldcanna

Veteran
I think the eyes are an overlooked part of it. My house is very dark and my vision is terrible so that really throws the brakes on everything. I like the idea of the artist mirror

caljim

I'm on the edge. Of what I'm not sure.
Veteran
I think the eyes are an overlooked part of it. My house is very dark and my vision is terrible so that really throws the brakes on everything. I like the idea of the artist mirror

I hang a spare 4' 6lamp t5 over my trim bench. Eye strain will wear you out.

Setting goals ,and having a reward for meeting them.....cold beer after the next x amount of work is done. No alcohol while trimming though, unless you want things to come to a screeching halt....I just have no ambition to trim with a beer in my hand.

mowood3479

Veteran
The ideal trim station is any station that's got someone else doing the trimming:)
Hahaha..
I like to alternate sitting and standing so it's nice if my station set up allows for that...
Also, I enjoy having my pellet gun and a target set up for when I take breaks.. Take a few shots at the target n back to it

T

TreehouseJ

I'll 2nd focusing in on distant objects. Coming from the plains and mountains into suburbia to be a weed hermit, your eyes will suffer. I try to focus on distant tree branches every time I pop outside or look out my window to inhibit the decline of my eyesight.

I'll also 2nd the robotic legs and owning a trim slave. If I'm doing any skilled labor with my hands, you can bet your ass I've got someone running all the leg work. I've already worked myself half to death, and I have no shame.

Kind of excited to try out my mini flex shaft weed whacker that I put together out of sheer boredom a few days ago though.. Just a few more weeks..

Attachments

• Photo on 10-2-16 at 9.08 AM #2.jpg
    Photo on 10-2-16 at 9.08 AM #2.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

prune

Veteran

You might choke on the price, but it is what it is, and it is great for old eyes:

https://www.amazon.com/White-62400-...8_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=YQW2370S6ZB095V1DRZE

Granted, OD might not rate this level of detail, but for quality indoor the results are as flawless as you desire. It's also large enough that it qualifies as a face shield, protecting you from flying stems and the worst allergic elements… lol

T

TreehouseJ

You might choke on the price, but it is what it is, and it is great for old eyes

I've been shopping around for one of these for awhile. I would assume a trip to the eye doctor to update your rx and a nice desk lamp would be a much better investment for your eyes in the long run, I've always heard prolonged use of a magnifying glass es no bueno, but idrgaf. With as much little detail work as I like to do, I should seriously already own one.

This one is only 250 on ebay. They really don't seem to come any cheaper..

s-l1600.jpg

coldcanna

Veteran
I saw some cheap versions on amazon for $30-100, not saying they're quality but they do exist. I've been working all day in a recliner with box in my lap and that's been pretty comfy. Light is def the next upgrade

maryjaneismyfre

Veteran
Cheap and comfy LED head torch and well lit area, headtorch not too bright but a nice wide crisp light is good, and an extra set of rechargable batteries so you are always bright. When ever you take a break, change the batteries in the headset with the ones on charge.. That way you never have to strain your eyes to see where you are doing fine work. I find a careful wet trim is the best, the scissors are key. Finger holes must be comfortable but blades must be narrow steel and fine pointed and of high quality, good quality stitching/sewing scissors are normally good. A great pair makes all the difference, a good pair is..ok. Keeping your scissors damp with glass of clean water next to you and dipping the blades between each cola lets one trim all day and leave the hash on the bud and not on the scissors. I used to collect scissor hash and now I get none at all, but rather make a better hash from the trim where the trichomes were left. Keeping fingers damp occasionally also helps keep finger stickyness down. I tried a trim machine once but I can't let my buds get all mashed like that, I don't let them touch anything let alone grind them all over some grate. The right simple headtorch, an ergonomic chair and the right scissors make it a lot less of a labour.

I don't get that whole keep blade resin free with some olive or sunflower oil or whatever as if plant/seed oils were so great to smoke, sensimelia wouldn't be such a hit. Hash doesn't stick to water, so rather use water as opposed to an oil.

O

OG Tree Grower

If you have that much to trim you should hire trimmers or go machine trimmed. I to have tried everything I could think of, in the end I enjoy hiring help and smoking joints or repairing the grow while they trim, personally I hate the machines they do a piss poor job and contaminate your trim with the lube oil. Nothing beats hand trimmed nugs. And nothing beats watching people trim LOL

coldcanna

Veteran
Yea I have a couple guys that are helping me a few hours at a wack. I need the cash from this one to get a new room setup this fall so that's really the reason I'm doing everything is to pinch pennies. So hopefully this is my last trimming ever ! Yea right .......

prune

Veteran
I've been shopping around for one of these for awhile. I would assume a trip to the eye doctor to update your rx and a nice desk lamp would be a much better investment for your eyes in the long run, I've always heard prolonged use of a magnifying glass es no bueno, but idrgaf. With as much little detail work as I like to do, I should seriously already own one.

This one is only 250 on ebay. They really don't seem to come any cheaper..

View Image

Ya, had that one and the cheaper version that Staples carries - you get what you pay for… The fluorescent lighting is drab, off-color and without contrast and you cannot dim or change the distribution of light. The lenses are plastic and scratch with cleaning. The suspension hardware doesn't hold and you end up craning your neck to accommodate the appliance rather than yourself. The magnification is weak and suffers from distortion, especially off-center.

When you pay the full admission price you get glass lenses with low distortion that you can clean to your hearts content, fully adjustable and locking hardware, and clear natural lighting that is adjustable in pattern and intensity. And they have those huge lenses...

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
But theres still weeks to go so no counting your nuggets before theyre sold

Ain't that the truth!

I use several trim scissors. I have a little juice glass full of rubbing alcohol and when one scissors gets gunked up I throw the scissors in the alcohol and use another scissors.

Absolutely!

2 or 3 pair of your favorite trimming scissors, minimum!
I like the $10 Fiskars that I can buy at home depot's garden deptartment..
Like BOMBAYCAT says, just use a small breakfast juice glass, (the smallest you can find that your scissor tips will fit in, without tipping the glass over)
I use my scissors for 10 minutes max, then into the alcohol, grab the other pair that was in the glass, and a quick wipe and dry with a paper towel has them ready to go...

I can trim on my big front porch, so I have a kitchen chair out there and a lightweight end table to work on..
I use the plastic storage bins, with latching lids, you buy at Walmart, to store and cure my dry buds and branches in, and use one setting on the end table to catch 98% of my trim...
Have a jug of water beside you or a bottle of Gatorade, and stay hydrated and sit up straight while you work!:biggrin:

maryjaneismyfre

Veteran
When I used alcohol, i'd use some pure ethanol (96%) that way I can filter it and evaporate it and smoke that resin..but now I don't collect any..you guys should try a glass of water rather for dipping the scissors, as said, hash stays on the weed then ;) Also comfy headlamp and well lit room, no eye strain and no magnification needed then. I can't trim without one, its makes too much of a difference and I'm used to being able to see what I'm doing clearly...and without water for dipping, and the correct scissors to make life easy, same story..what a mission.

ES4405.jpg

Thats em, found the image on the net..those guys make all the difference. Keep the blades wet with water and trim all day..Make hash in a washing machine, not with scissors.. ;)

If you find those exact scissors, buy 5 pairs! They are the ones! Shown to me by a mate who used to trim in holland for a living, but you get them all over the world.. Use these only for trimming wet leaf and leaf stalks and use another small but sturdier pair for hitting stalks when taking down and taking nugs off the stick later when dry. Use the trim scissors only on soft wet material. This keeps the trim scissors sharp for years..Never scrape the blade edge with another piece of steel and it will last for harvest after harvest. What also helps is to get a titanium coated blades for your "sectioning" scissors, these keep their blade edge for years so long that you aren't scraping them clean with a razor blade or anything. I hate trimming but with a few fat j's, right lighting, the right tools and an ergonomic work area, rack for stuff prepared to trim on one hand and rack for trimmed stuff on other hand and everything close to you so you don't have to stretch. It makes it manageable, so much more so that I can get into it and eat through the trimming. Trim machines, been there done that, my poor buds, and trim parties get tired quick..these days I don't have kilos and kilos of stuff to trim in one shot and just grow for personals so I'd rather just do it myself than deal with the issues and politics that trimmers bring along with em..

Also don't put yer buds in bins and tubs and all, save that for when they are trimmed and dry and all together so anything that falls off, falls onto more bud and you are not loosing.. Don't let yer buds touch anything or rest on anything, hang, hang and hang! When you look with a loupe at bud taken care of post harvest and bud not, it is obvious.

Cut em down, and hang with hooks made with wire like they use for making jerky. Lowers and branches you can cut leaving a hang hook from the stem, if the hanging point left from cutting is close to a nug then use a hook rather so no resin is rubbed off, colas use a hook. When branches are coming out double, then cut off 2 opposite branches with an inch of stem and split that to make a hang for each branch..Section all you need to take down and then prep for trimming, sectioning branches further into pieces of a comfortable size to hold and trim. Trimming colas too long will give you wrist fatigue. When you prep stuff, have your head torch on and the leaf that is not worth keeping will be brightly apparent and all the trichomes will light up for you, trim off waste leaf now and hang on a rack ready for next step. When you trim, put rack on one side of you and empty it to a new rack on other side of you hanging buds on every second line..picture of the type of racks that work perfect below.. each rack hangs about 1/3 of a lb..If I'd show you how clean my scissors are after trimming a LB, you wouldn't believe me..not enough scissor hash for a bong nevermind a spliff and that is good! A mate of mine chimed in that he likes to keep his glass of water with ice in it, that way nothing sticks to his blades..

clothes-drying-rack-300x254.jpg

ic

Last edited:

Slipnot

lol we made wooden picnic tables which had a hole in middlt we could talk out , a bucket fool of buds also infront of each trimmer was a place where trim went.. had one person in charge of keep trim n bud buckets empty 4 people per table and one hell of a good time , min 7 hrs a day trimming was only allowed 800 pounds trimmed in 3 weeks

maryjaneismyfre

Veteran
If you have that much to trim you should hire trimmers or go machine trimmed. I to have tried everything I could think of, in the end I enjoy hiring help and smoking joints or repairing the grow while they trim, personally I hate the machines they do a piss poor job and contaminate your trim with the lube oil. Nothing beats hand trimmed nugs. And nothing beats watching people trim LOL

What you do is get one trimmer to carefully take the preflowers left off the sticks for you once a pile of sticks have built up after nugging up the dry bud. . It is the pick of the crop, smoking just a j or hitting a bowl of just and only mature superlarge preflowers/calyx's is the best smoke of the crop aside from the hash from just these. At the end of the day to have a jar of only those is special. For a bowl, just drop a few on, no need to chop or crush.

junior_grower

take a weekend and work 8hr days. have a few people that help trim and it goes quick. I like adjustable chairs, and a glass table pre-cleaned, wiped with alcohol. Table hash after a weekends work.