What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Cloning with Root Nubs or How to Root Hard to Clone Plants

*Lola*

thanks josey, and all ! :D

I was feeling on the branches I painted for this demo, and definitely feeling root nub or two already under there.

i was a little bored, so I treated all the way around the main stem on a blueberry that I am using for this thread. I scraped it with a finger nail and slopped on some gel around, let's see what happens heeehee... I am experimenting on some 3 foot clones here now hahaha like anyone needs one that big, but still i was bored...

dunkydunk

Interesting. How long have you been doing this, Lola?

I think there should be a mother plant/cloning specific forum, as this thread shows there is always something new to learn.

slowandeasy

Veteran
thanks josey, and all ! :D

I was feeling on the branches I painted for this demo, and definitely feeling root nub or two already under there.

i was a little bored, so I treated all the way around the main stem on a blueberry that I am using for this thread. I scraped it with a finger nail and slopped on some gel around, let's see what happens heeehee... I am experimenting on some 3 foot clones here now hahaha like anyone needs one that big, but still i was bored...

Ok Lola, I have some good news and some bad new for you! Good news is I have root nubs at day 6 using Root Tech Gel. Bad news is, the two that I used the root tech on have burt tips now! But the stems are swollen 2x-3x where the Root Tech Gel was. The rest of the plant is perfect!

On the same plant I did your KY Jelly and Green Light cloning powder mixed. Those clones look perfect, and I think there maybe some nubs..but I am waiting til tomorrow night to wash it off. 1 of the clone done with the KY mix has a very swollen stem as well...but the rest are normal.

So I am not going to use the Root Tech clones at all even tho they have nubs. The tops are effected from it for sure. The Root Tech Gel has 5x the IBA as the powder. I have use it many times and usually get roots in 6-7 days in pure Canna Coco using Root Tech gel. Now I know why my Sour Bubble clones randomly get burnt while cloning. I put more gel on those clones I bet! The acid in the gel must be too strong for some clones if put on thick.

So I will update tomorrow after I wash the KY jelly off the clones to see what they look like on day 7. I hope atleast one has bumps, because I want to see how fast they take off once in Coco. This plant is an easy cloner, that is why I tried it on them. I cannot comment as to if it is better than my normal method, because the roots could explode once put into Coco.

I will post pics 2morrow

*Lola*

You mean the leaf tips are burnt?

I don't see how rooting powder on a stem could burn leaf tips. That sounds like fert burn to me.

Let's see a pic!

one Q

Quality
Veteran
Bad news is, the two that I used the root tech on have burt tips now! But the stems are swollen 2x-3x where the Root Tech Gel was. The rest of the plant is perfect!

On the same plant I did your KY Jelly and Green Light cloning powder mixed. Those clones look perfect, and I think there maybe some nubs..but I am waiting til tomorrow night to wash it off. 1 of the clone done with the KY mix has a very swollen stem as well...but the rest are normal.
Yeah, maybe only one this coat is all that's needed with something that strong. THat's good info

slowandeasy

Veteran
You mean the leaf tips are burnt?

I don't see how rooting powder on a stem could burn leaf tips. That sounds like fert burn to me.

Let's see a pic!

Yes just the 2 branches that I used Root Tech Gel on are all burnt now! Not nute burn Lola, the rest of the plant is fine, including the KY Branches. Waiting for my battery to charge and will take some pics. You should see the swollen stems as well on the Root Tech branches, they are crazy.

BTW, I tried this method on another strain, but it has only been a few days. I also took a clone from the same plant, used the KY Jelly and planted directly into Coco as usual. We shall see what does better.

slowandeasy

Veteran
Not sure why my pics are not loading right, but they will show up if you click on the link. You will see how bad the 2 Root Tech gel branches look vs KY jelly. And some swollen stems with root bumps.

Root Tech Branch 1, with burnt tips.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=22766&pictureid=541981

Root Tech Branch 2, with worse burnt tips.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=22766&pictureid=541982

KY jelly and powder Branch, look great...just like the rest of the plant

https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=22766&pictureid=541980

Swollen Stem shot with root nubs if you look closely.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=22766&pictureid=541984

The other Root tech branch has root bumps also, if you look closely

https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=22766&pictureid=541985

*Lola*

Interesting pics S&E! That Root Tech stuff is doing freaky things to your plants!

Maybe the secret IS the KY jelly :D

slowandeasy

Veteran
Interesting pics S&E! That Root Tech stuff is doing freaky things to your plants!

Maybe the secret IS the KY jelly :D

Well the amount of IBA is 5x the amount as in the Powder I used with the KY jelly. My guess is the hormones an the acid are too strong when you use too much at one time. I have noticed in the past while cloning regular a few of my clones would get similar reactions, while most look perfect the whole time. Now my theory is, I put too much gel on the clones that show symptoms.

My advice is to not use gel that strong. It is one of the stronger gels on the market. It obviously effected those branches. The rest of the plant is fine. No big deal, I like to experiment...but to anyone who wants to try this method. Dont use Root Tech!! I am curious to see how the KY clones will do. I took one regular clone and used the KY mix 4 days ago now, I usually have roots by day 7...so we shall see how that mix does doing regular cloning in Coco. Take care.

Tilt

I transplant lower in the soil. Maybe I can use this technique to encourage root developement on the buried section of stalk?

I have a custom strain that has proven REALLY hard to clone. I will be trying this clever method today, with the gel applied cuttings being put into my EZ cloner in a week.

I will report back with the results. I expect they will clone easier and faster than my last few attempts.

tequila_sunrise

I've got a clone that won't root. It is still looking fresh and green though after 10+ days. I am going to put some of that root gel above the surface of the peet pot and see if I can't get it to go.

one Q

Quality
Veteran
bump.

Any intersting findings?

If you apply too many applications of a gel that's too strong, you stunt the growth tip. So just one application and be patient.

slowandeasy

Veteran
bump.

Any intersting findings?

If you apply too many applications of a gel that's too strong, you stunt the growth tip. So just one application and be patient.

Yeah, it does not work! I tried it with Root Tech and it burned the leaves on the branches I applied it to. Still tried to clone it, and it did nothing. The other branches I used Green Light rooting powder with KY jelly. Never saw any bumps on those branches, but they still look fine. Maybe it will work for someone else. I get roots in 6-7 days in Coco anyhow, but like to experiment. I will just stick with my own method. Thanks for sharing Lola, but personally it did not do anything worth while for me.

Herborizer

Veteran
Yeah, it does not work! I tried it with Root Tech and it burned the leaves on the branches I applied it to. Still tried to clone it, and it did nothing. The other branches I used Green Light rooting powder with KY jelly. Never saw any bumps on those branches, but they still look fine. Maybe it will work for someone else. I get roots in 6-7 days in Coco anyhow, but like to experiment. I will just stick with my own method. Thanks for sharing Lola, but personally it did not do anything worth while for me.

That's too bad. I had high hopes.

one Q

Quality
Veteran
Hags, define "high P" I mean if one is running Lucas Flora series or cns17 or what not...

*Lola*

OK Slowandeasy and I painted up our branches on the same day.

You have heard about his results. Here is what I have had happen.

You can SEE for your self. This branch I decided instead of painting the whole branch, I would leave a green strip so you could see what was potentially happening UNDER the rooting hormone.

I see little white dots in the green stripe. Those are gonna turn into roots. Now if ya'll think big hairy roots are gonna grow from the branches, then NO, that ain't gonna happen. All you are gonna get are adventitious rooting sites. You are preparing the branch to be cloned.

Here's root nubs... dunno why slow's didn't work out, try again slow.
(looks like i gotta edit this one in)

picture.php

Latest posts

Latest posts