What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The DEFINITIVE OG Kush History

Americangrower

Veteran
I think the need to know the origins are key to producing more seed lots that produce a true, progressive, STABLE cannabis strain.

If you haven't all figured it out all ready - THE BIGGEST AND MOST IMPORTANT - advancement in the cannabis industry will, without question, be the ability to produce identical plants from seed. The same as a tomato or pepper or squash. Genetic stability. True breeding. It will change everything.

You can't accomplish this without first knowing what the building blocks are and where the genetic variation came from to begin with.

Knowing genetic make up, doesn't change a single thing about what I strains I actually enjoy, but it absolutely changes what seeds I choose to germinate if I happen to find a good plant within a seed lot.

Everyone drives a car but not everyone cares about how many cubic inches an engine block is. I don't see why it bothers people there is a segment of cannabis users which are just genealogy nerds. Knowing about cars allows you to work on and modify their performance. Knowing about cannabis, allows you to do the same.

Don't ruin this thread with useless comments about how useless the thread is. Sorry it's content is outside of your wheelhouse. Just move along.

dank.Frank

yep don't care about cu in engine only gas mileage, shit I drive 70 miles 5 or 6 days a week just for work.

ok carry on with the happy kush stories:biggrin:

Americangrower

Veteran
The strain was called 60/40. Limited release by sag. That's what had the banana terpene profile in that cross.

60/40 was never sold, it was the name Gypsy gave to the kilo or 2 of seeds he got cheap from Sag for freebies. I think it was a mix, may even have been the same seeds GN gave out as Sag mystery mix.

I seem to remember we thought it was Mangolian indica, Stonehedge and Yumbolt.. but no1 knows for sure.

englishrick

Plumber/Builder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I think the need to know the origins are key to producing more seed lots that produce a true, progressive, STABLE cannabis strain.

If you haven't all figured it out all ready - THE BIGGEST AND MOST IMPORTANT - advancement in the cannabis industry will, without question, be the ability to produce identical plants from seed. The same as a tomato or pepper or squash. Genetic stability. True breeding. It will change everything.

You can't accomplish this without first knowing what the building blocks are and where the genetic variation came from to begin with.

Knowing genetic make up, doesn't change a single thing about what I strains I actually enjoy, but it absolutely changes what seeds I choose to germinate if I happen to find a good plant within a seed lot.

Everyone drives a car but not everyone cares about how many cubic inches an engine block is. I don't see why it bothers people there is a segment of cannabis users which are just genealogy nerds. Knowing about cars allows you to work on and modify their performance. Knowing about cannabis, allows you to do the same.

Don't ruin this thread with useless comments about how useless the thread is. Sorry it's content is outside of your wheelhouse. Just move along.

dank.Frank

Ooooooweeeee,,, im Mr Meseees,,, did someone just mention homozygous pure breeding lines,, my ears just turned red,, anther culture,, double haploid breeding, hemetic environment,, future bro future,, you sound like its just hit you bro,,??,, you feeling the new buzz on cell culture an new vibe stuff?

Cup of tea with your alard,,, anyone

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I've been saying it for years, just like many breeders have. I didn't intend for it to sound as if it was an original thought or concept. LOL.

It's just the biggest hurdle to massive corporate production truly taking over. Whoever accomplishes this first, will have the market. I've shared my thoughts on that joint venture article in another thread here some where.

EnglishRick - you, myself, and many others have been exploring and studying and learning for many years about the same topics for the same reasons.

dank.Frank

englishrick

Plumber/Builder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I've been saying it for years, just like many breeders have. I didn't intend for it to sound as if it was an original thought or concept. LOL.

It's just the biggest hurdle to massive corporate production truly taking over. Whoever accomplishes this first, will have the market. I've shared my thoughts on that joint venture article in another thread here some where.

EnglishRick - you, myself, and many others have been exploring and studying and learning for many years about the same topics for the same reasons.

dank.Frank

I'm working on cell culture atm,, been creating a protocol and putting together a kit,, anther culture is something that can be done with the kit,,not that I have done it myself yet,, but fuk when I get through my own learning modules I'm having a go at anther culture and doing double haploid and triploid stuff,, future bro definitely future,, for me anyway,, love the energy,, discourse is good

clearheaded

mmm sag never released anything like that. someone asked tony and he has no idea and if did he certainly would of dug it up and released og og banana ;).. gypsy says
Originally Posted by Gypsy Nirvana View Post
about 7 or 8 years ago I asked Tony of Sagarmatha seeds if he had anything I could buy in bulk to give away as 'freebies'.......since he was selling quite a few seedlines at the time that had particular names and were going for certain prices, he said that he would sell me about half a kilo of various seeds that were only named as to their indica/sativa hybrid percentages and not as to what actual Sagarmatha varieties they were since this could upset other vendors who were selling Sagarmatha seeds......the 60/40 was one of the 'un-named' varieties that Tony sold me........and mostly they were given away.....

however looking on phylos there is little relation to other varietys so likely not based on too common of a line.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran

dank.Frank

You have to spread more rep... yada yada yada

Well said!!

meizzwang

Lol honestly does it matter ? Why is the og kush origin so important? This is ridiculous

Having such knowledge may accelerate progress in breeding programs. Thing is, details behind how strains are exactly made are kept as trade secrets: if everyone knows your secret and can do what you do, you don't have as big of a competitive advantage in the market.

As an example, take a california orange clone and cross it with skunk, you won't get tangie....ever! If you could produce the real deal tangie this way ,it would be available by dozens of different breeders, and the original breeders would lose their market advantage. People can try to stabilize polyhybrids, but serious growers know to go to the original breeder for the real deal. Companies omit details or strait up give false stories to protect their inventions.

englishrick

Plumber/Builder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Who am I going to message,, begging for cuts like a weed deprived Oliver twist if I don't know who to message,,,lol,,, only joking,, sort of

weedtoker

Veteran
Just a note, but seems that the TK guy surfaced in the last months trough IG (origins underscore tk underscore og). Og and TK seems very related so you might find some kind of new info you OGheads :biggrin:

Cheers

bigtacofarmer

Veteran
Just a note, but seems that the TK guy surfaced in the last months trough IG (origins underscore tk underscore og). Og and TK seems very related so you might find some kind of new info you OGheads :biggrin:

Cheers

TK has been been known as an OG for a long time now.

weedtoker

Veteran
TK has been been known as an OG for a long time now.

Yes, thus why I pointed out to that clue, seems was not the best word, SORRY "me no english hermano":tiphat:. I'm just here 'cause to me it's just funny people creating big tales and arguments for years about a cutting or foundation stock, and usually how it went down was pretty simple... And it's not that phylos, nose and intuition hadn't helped before too in the specific case :biggrin:

Cheers